R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Fuel line

hey there all. i have an ofna ravager that I bought used and am slowly putting back together. the engine seems to run great and the car is complete but i screwed up a servo the other day and am going to get some decent digital, HT servos soon. Since this is my first nitro car, I am curious about fuel lines. The current setup has about 7 inches of fuel tubing that loopS around and connectS to the carb. what is the reason there is so much tubing? can I shorten this tubing to run directly from the tank to the carb with a little room to put the filter in it? I would like to unclutter the car if possible but i don't want to do any damage by shortening fuel lines if i am not supposed to.

also, the pull starter is starting to slip on some pulls. I have not taken it apart yet but what are some possible reasons this would happen?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Ben
bschanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Tech Regular

some guys use it to increase the amount of fuel they can get in the vehicle to increase run times, others do it so that the vehicle can stay running longer when it is on its lid.
C.Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The one way bearing needs to be cleaned. Disassemble it. Clean the bearing with motor spray or brake clean. Then you can put it in dry or use one way bearing lube (which works excellent) to lengthen intervals of cleaning. The fuel line is usually longer for three reasons: extend run time, chance to cool fuel (hot from exhaust) and dampen pulses (again, caused by the exhaust). You won't really hurt anything by shortening it. Remember to always use a good quality in line filter even if the tank already has one. I always use a stone filter (like big daddy) as they work much better than a screen.
Cadimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dracy69 Send a message via Yahoo to dracy69

leave some slack so it has some fuel to run with when you flip it

and the pull starter is slipping because of the one-way bearing. take the pullstarter off and you'll see it. just replace that and you'll be good
dracy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Tech Regular

ahhh, i never considered the longer fuel line for when the car is rubber side up. that makes perfect sense. I have an in line filter that appears to be du-bro from what i can see. i have not taken it apart to clean the screen though.

Since money does not grow on trees and I can't afford to get my new servos until after the holiday, i will be removing the motor and pull starter, cleaning the bearing (maybe replacing it for good measure) and pulling the diffs to get the grease out and fluid in them.

I have been tinkering with electrics for some time now but this is my first foray into the nitro scene. you all may see me poking my head in here from time to time looking for some assistance.

thanks to all thus far!

Ben

Last edited by bschanz; 12-14-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

there's a sweet spot for length on fuel line....Too short and it wont run right....too long and same deal...it'll have an adverse effect on the motor....8-10" is what i normally do for fuel/pressure line...here's a pic for reference...not the best but it shows the lines.

Keep in mind the losi has a good 3-4" worth of line IN the tank.

TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Tech Regular

integra. thanks for the pic. the ofna car is quite a bit different set up. the fuel supply line comes from the rear of the tank, from the top and the pressure line comes from the front of the cap like your losi. There is a big loop from the supply outlet on the tank to the carb. a 2' piece of tube with bridge the gap, but as everyone here states, you need the extra tubing in case the car gets upside down it will help keep the motor running.

The ofna car just looks a little cluttered and the fuel supply and pressure lines might have been resting on the exhaust and i don't want a hot exhaust burning through a fuel line. i rerouted them but have a hard time priming the carb. some of that stems from the pull starter slipping and some i figured might just simply lie in the fact that the fuel line was too long. looks like i need to get that pull starter fixed and check for other air leaks i see. where should I be looking for air leaks?

Thanks again guys!

Ben
Old 12-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Pullstart/roto back plate's are 1 BIG air leak....I would suggest getting a starter box and ditching the pullstart set-up in favor of a sealed back plate...not only will the motor run better but will tune easier and overall make a little more power due to the 1 way not being in there.

the exhaust pipe Wont burn through the line but having your fuel tube resting on the pipe heating the fuel isn't a smart idea.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Pullstart/roto back plate's are 1 BIG air leak....I would suggest getting a starter box and ditching the pullstart set-up in favor of a sealed back plate...not only will the motor run better but will tune easier and overall make a little more power due to the 1 way not being in there.

the exhaust pipe Wont burn through the line but having your fuel tube resting on the pipe heating the fuel isn't a smart idea.

A starter box is in the plans but I need to get some $$ together to get everything that I need. I will eventually get myself another nitro buggy to race offroad with. the ravager is a car i bought for a song to learn the nitro quirks before i spend big $$ on a decent offroad buggy.

integra.. thanks for the insight! i'll be back here soon with more idiot questions.

Ben