Community
Wiki Posts
Search

revo 3.3 running to hot

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default revo 3.3 running to hot

i'm having problems with my revo running too hot. I set the carb at factory settings but when i run at full throttle the engine doesnt want to run at full rpm, and wont shift. but its running around 250 deg.. i adjusted the hsn an 1/8th turn leaner and the truck runs awesome, i can wheelie it no problem and it takes and off and shifts smoothly , but after 10 min its sitting at like 360 deg, and thats checking at the glow plug....any suggestions what the prob might be..truck is fairly new
Old 12-13-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

360!!! the motor might be shot now. i know my 3.3 engine likes to run hot usually around 250 to 260 degrees. but my old one seized up in a race at 325 so yours might be getting close to being done. does it still start after being that hot? u have an air leak somewhere. check your fuel lines and you might want to try sealing your carb up.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Rookie

i have no prob starting the truck afterwards, thing fires up right away. the only time i have problem starting it is when its cold, but that may be due to the glow plug needing replacing, Ive heard about the air leak problem, just wondering how does that affect the performance of the engine?? but ya ill pull the motor out and have a look, i sent the truck rolling few weeks back and broke the motor mount so maybe i cracked the carb housing
Old 12-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Check for air leaks around the carb, and backplate. Also make sure that your front bearing isnt leaking a bunch of oil or fuel out of it. If the front bearing is leaking then your front bearing might be your culprit for you air leak. Also what temp gun are you useing? Make sure the tip of the gun is clean from any dirt or debris because they can give you a false reading. Also what was you smoke trail like? Alot of smoke, no smoke?
One more thing to check as well is to make sure the truck rolls freely. If there is something alittle bound up it will send the motor temps sky high as well.

An air leak will cause eratic idleing issues and also sometimes your tune will just completly change during running it. Also check you fuel tank for any cracks.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

yea the front bearing will make it run leam if its leaking. i have to replace mine as well. but it sounds like u have an air leak somewhere else thats pretty severe lol
Old 12-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the tips...i checked out the carb, gas tank and line, no leaks there, but i did notice excessive oil around the rear plate so ill pull that out and replace the bearing and hopefully that solves the problem. engine still has good compression and it was in pretty good shape internally. as for the temp gun its just one i had received when i bought my first nitro truck, maybe its time for a new one. the truck does smoke what i believe is a good amount...not alot of smoke but it is puffing it out
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the rear bearing? thats not leaking

just a bit or RTV to seal the backplate instead

what kind of temp gun are you using?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Rookie

its a laser temp gun..and ya thats where i noticed the oil, on the mounting face between the back plate and block, and it wasnt clean, was black. the carb was covered in grit but im thinkin thats just from the clutch
Old 12-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

right..its not the rear bearing those dont hold oil in like the front one