R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think one of the easiest things to make is the common shock.
This will have a lot of lathe work as well as some mill work.
It will teach you several of the more common operations a machinist preforms.

Inside/outside threading, boring, outside/inside radius turning, etc...
Not only do you learn these machine operations but you will learn to use various measuring tools to preform these operations as well.

As several have mentioned the Machinist Handbook is a must. It truely is the Bible for machinist. I am a self taught hobby machinist and there isnt to much about machining that you can pick up for reading that book and just a little trial and error.

If you watch Amazon or Ebay you can pick up a copy pretty cheap. I got HandBook 19 for $10 shipped a couple years ago. Thought it is slightly outdated, compaired to the current handbook, it still has the vast majority of the information needed to preform the daily tasks for machining parts.
NeoNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

CNC FTW

if your looking for somthing simple, start with a 1/8 buggy chassis
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I go to Temple University in Philadelphia Pa.
fievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #19
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDHotbodies View Post
I like your attitude.... I'm in the HVAC business, and some of those engineers I have to deal with I can tell they never stepped foot on a job site or a shop... I still have'nt figured out how I can get 12 inches of duct work in a 8 inch space... and it happens alot, and they wont back down, no comman sense...
ha ha ha. i know exactly what your talking about. Im in the hvac industry too

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

This is the problem with college in the U.S.A. It has become a business and you will be lucky to finish, before they change your required courses to get your degree. I have worked as a machinist and machine builder for over 12 years. I am currently going back to college at the age of 33. The reason they don't teach you how to actually produce the part is because manufacturing business in the U.S. is being outsourced overseas. If you want to go into business for yourself I would highly suggest you take additional classes to teach yourself the essentials of the actual production side of business. Everyone in this country is more concerned with making money than actually teaching you what you need to know. Most people are now more afraid of how they might fail instead of all the possibilities life has to offer. Remember to go after whatever you want and to ignore those who oppose. Sorry so long.
mwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Do you already have a two piece engine mount? That's the last thing I built for myself and love it. It will allow you to learn the parts of the mill and how they work without overwhelming you with a complicated piece to make your first time and you will have a very nice addition to your ride if you don't have a two piece mount already and save yourself $50+ Just my two cents. These other pieces suggested would make a great second project but this one will make maintenance each week so much easier. Make sure you machine the bottom piece to have dowel holes for a press fit and the top part to have a slip fit so the dowels stay put in the bottom piece and you will never loose them. Your prof. will know how to help you with picking out reamers for dowel pins. Good first project.

Good first project for a lathe is a two piece cooling head/button like said above. Shocks would be very interesting too. If you don't need a cooling head make a miniature one for a keychain to show off your new skills!
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote