sleeve resizing by bigde2001

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default RayAracing Resizing Tooling

Originally Posted by helivaguy
excellent results due to excellent tooling
dion also does a nice job refinishing the piston and sleeve surfaces.
ray i wish your tooling was more affordable
In short making my tooling more affordable would compromise the quality.

There are many ways one can bend, dent, or shrink the sleeve alloys in order to make the piston + sleeve fit feel tighter ( a process the racers have been experimenting with for 30 + years) But reconstructing (reforming) the nitro engine sleeve alloys to accurately + uniformly adjust for the just a few tenths of one thousandth an inch piston wear requires a tool ( resizing die) as accurate as the process we intend to perform. The intended achieved results here in resizing leave very little room for error. Dilon invested well with purchasing good tooling, has got good experience with it, and I am glade to see his own customer base growing.

RayAracing
Old 12-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RayA
In short making my tooling more affordable would compromise the quality.

There are many ways one can bend, dent, or shrink the sleeve alloys in order to make the piston + sleeve fit feel tighter ( a process the racers have been experimenting with for 30 + years) But reconstructing (reforming) the nitro engine sleeve alloys to accurately + uniformly adjust for the just a few tenths of one thousandth an inch piston wear requires a tool ( resizing die) as accurate as the process we intend to perform. The intended achieved results here in resizing leave very little room for error. Dilon invested well with purchasing good tooling, has got good experience with it, and I am glade to see his own customer base growing.

RayAracing
Ray what can I say other than Im useing alsome equipment which was made by you. Im so passionate about this hobby and love being able help it grow.
I hope that one day I can have the reputation that you have achieved in sleeve resizing. Also your tooling is worth every penny it costs. Thanks for everything Ray.

Dion
Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Nitro engine piston+sleeve reconditioning-resizing

The simplest looking dies I have built in my career but yet due to the required reforming accuracy took the longest to debug, while maintaining it remain reasonably user friendly. Not one of those projects completed in a few days, few weeks, or even a few months. 8 years later (going on 9) and I remain intrigued with the performance characteristics my tooling , along with resulting on track performance characteristics resized engines, as compared with new. My area of focus at the tool+die shop, at the resizing shop, and finally at the track.

You'd be surprised as to how many collets + lower dies I chuck when on weiler lathe matching compound tapers this resizing tooling and not have hit that sweet spot. A few minutes off is all it takes.
Some times I wonder how some these guys think resizing can be a track side process done with a clamp tool or something they spun off themselves on a lathe,yada yada, But I know its a hobby so I can't blame anyone for trying to save a buck or make craft more convenient. They keep me busy with repairs....All part of my job here.

I still have my first nitro engine sleeve resizing die built sometime in 2000 . LOL More of a simple model made before selecting tool steels for first revision.

Stay passionate with the craft, keep your focus on improving surface finish conditions, maintain a light tapper with mild pinch point ,and watch the tenths. Nothing like helping out a racer whos $200 thru $600 engine sucked dirt after a gallon, or so.

RayAracing
Old 04-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

just got my picco .28 and RB C6 back from Dion and i am amazed! GREAT work especially on the C6 it looks brand new again and it runs like brand new again! i would recomend the medium pinch as the tight pinch i got the picco .28 seemed very tight , the medium pinch on the C6 was just right!
I would definatly recommend this to anyone who is thinking about it , it is worth the money!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

I had dion redo my traxxas 3.3 that i had on my first r/c car and it was unreal how fast it was! Dion is the man when it comes to this n alot of other r/c car things. And his shop is great too. NOTE: the pic of my truck was taken in his shop
Old 04-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Dion has done 3 sleeves for me now....all came back AWESOME. Great guy to work on your engines here....