R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

97 = Standard plug
97T = Turbo plug

The Odonnell gun is good..... god I sound like an Odonnell commercial.. I dont run for em but some of they're stuff work good
Old 12-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

haha i've always liked odonnel as well. i'll try to find those plugs. thanks for the help!!
and at least your a HB guy!!! HB all the way!
Preston777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default plug

get the odonnell 99 standard plug or mccoy mc9 they will both work I dont think they make the 97std any more and do what Tony said, if that does not work you could have hurt your rear bearing when you got your motor that hot. I had a motor that ran hot like that when it was new and it was a bad bearing from the factory.
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #19
Tech Champion

thats right the 99 is the colder of the two.... run the colder one the 99.
Thanks Marcus
Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #20
Tech Adept

do you think i should lean out the bottom when i richen up the top?
could the rich bottom be why it is still blowing out smoke but running lean as well. thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #21
Tech Champion

It will all depend on what it does when you richen the top, If the idle drops way down then yes... lean the bottom alittle..... I suspect your fat on bottom and lean on to like you said
Old 12-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

I can tell that the plug is short from that pic, but I can't tell the condition it's in because it looks fuzzy. Your engine looks fine. I honestly think that SideWinder ill discolour your engine before OD fuel ( I quit using Sidewinder for that particular reason ), but that's all personal preference.

Don't tune to temp, it's a big mistake and will cause you more headaches than it cures. I have an OD temp gun and it's no more accurate than my other 2. Temp guns have to be calibrated in order to work properly, and even so, all it takes is a little dust on the gun's 'eye' for it to throw the temp readings off.

The only time I use my temp gun is when I break in an engine, after that, I never use it at the track, and I rarely have any engine troubles. Tune to the sound and performance of an engine, if the engine gets lean you will hear and see it in most cases.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #23
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo View Post
I can tell that the plug is short from that pic, but I can't tell the condition it's in because it looks fuzzy. Your engine looks fine. I honestly think that SideWinder ill discolour your engine before OD fuel ( I quit using Sidewinder for that particular reason ), but that's all personal preference.

Don't tune to temp, it's a big mistake and will cause you more headaches than it cures. I have an OD temp gun and it's no more accurate than my other 2. Temp guns have to be calibrated in order to work properly, and even so, all it takes is a little dust on the gun's 'eye' for it to throw the temp readings off.

The only time I use my temp gun is when I break in an engine, after that, I never use it at the track, and I rarely have any engine troubles. Tune to the sound and performance of an engine, if the engine gets lean you will hear and see it in most cases.
What plugs are available at your local track ?
Does it happen to be a pull start 3 port .28 ?

Don't expect much performance out of it if it is one of those engines , in the rpm range anyway . The plug isn't causing the heat , the bearing very well could be the coulprit , you might need a new rear bearing and pssibly have a misaligned crank . Rbmods straightens cranks and does it very well . As far as plugs and stuff , you should be running a medium hot plug , if its a standard then I would say mccoy mc8 , odonnell 100 and run 30% nitro .

Have somebody check the temps with an exergen gun and check yours against it for comparison .

What pipe are you running by the way ?

The wrong pipe can cause heat also
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #24
Tech Adept

im running an hpi pipe. which i will be changing soon.
no it's not a 3 port pullstart. It's a 5 port 528x.
my local track only sells o.s. plugs so i'll just have to get them to stock something else lol.
im going to just richen up the top and start my tune over. i checked the bearings and they don't seem to be bad and they are moving freely. could they be bad and still seem to work properly?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston777 View Post
im running an hpi pipe. which i will be changing soon.
no it's not a 3 port pullstart. It's a 5 port 528x.
my local track only sells o.s. plugs so i'll just have to get them to stock something else lol.
im going to just richen up the top and start my tune over. i checked the bearings and they don't seem to be bad and they are moving freely. could they be bad and still seem to work properly?
yes on the bearings and if they aren't gritty feeling when you pose side deflection pressure and rotate the end of the crank all directions then you are probably ok .

as far as plugs , they are readily available on here if you need some

its either a 3 port or an 8 port , havent seen a 528 5 port , i see the insides of most all nova engines the 8 port doesnt usually come in standard either , its usually a turbo engine , did you get this new ? or used ?

happy motorin',
monty

and yes i would suggest changing that pipe out , whats the engine in ? will a dynamite 007ht fit ? that is a badass pipe for .28 engines
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #26
Tech Adept

it's the 3 port, i just went and looked at it. I did get it used but it looked fairly new when i got it. It's in a lightning stadium2 pro truggy. I'll check out that pipe.
the exhaust port doesnt count as a port right?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #27
Tech Adept

are the 8 port and 3 port the same engine besides the sleeve?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

FYI, Rossi carbs are sensitive... if you are use to tuning "an hour at a time" like an OS, try "15 minutes." (just a tiny tweak)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
FYI, Rossi carbs are sensitive... if you are use to tuning "an hour at a time" like an OS, try "15 minutes." (just a tiny tweak)
The 528 is a Novarossi not a AXE Rossi Novarossi carbs are very easy to tune. Start rich out from flush on high and low and tune your top end after you get that start with the low end a hour at at time. Dont touch the idle until you get the tune good. This works for me.

PS make sure your motor is hot before you start to tune or just go to your local track and have some one tune it for you and show you how to tune, you can learn alot at you local track and most racers are nice. It is hard to explain how to tune on a forum and if your local hobby shop guy is selling you os plugs I don't think I would go ask him for advice.
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced

Last edited by Marcus Falconie; 12-11-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #30
Tech Adept

so should i just go back to factory settings and start over