Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Who's had an engine crankcase crack? >

Who's had an engine crankcase crack?

Who's had an engine crankcase crack?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

2 v-specs.

Is it just me or is there a pattern forming here?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobS
My GO tech 7 port. Was running on the track in practice by myself when I thought I flammed out. Brought it back to the box, and snap! Right in half.

Up until then it ran awesome. Not quite sure why it happened... Totally awesome none the less!

wow.....That's Impressive.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by slumlord
2 v-specs.

this hobby is abusive on gear...there's no pattern..it's those 1 in a million hits that cause catastrophic failure and there's not much you could have done to prevent it.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

another v-spec here... ran about 4 gallons through on my mugen 5t then put it on my losi 8b. Got about 2 races days and it's cracked

Since we are on the subject.... this is my first nitro motor. Should I replace the crankcase or just get a new motor?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Prophet

man thats crazy i guess i been lucky or something my engines never cracked weird man.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slumlord
2 v-specs.

It seems the cases that are injection molded are more prone to cracking... most current brands use injection molding to make their cases...a few companies still use cast cases...from everything i understand a cast case is more durable then a injection molded case..... FYI Picco uses a cast case and I have never yet heard of a Picco cracking a case like this, not saying it hasn't happened, just that I have never seen or heard of it...
Old 12-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobS
My GO tech 7 port. Was running on the track in practice by myself when I thought I flammed out. Brought it back to the box, and snap! Right in half.

Up until then it ran awesome. Not quite sure why it happened... Totally awesome none the less!
quality materials

holy smokes !!!! haven't seen one like that before
Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
quality materials

holy smokes !!!! haven't seen one like that before
I have seen several onroad motors do that exact same thing, and yes they were Novas. Not really applicable to offroad though. In those cases, the breaks were caused by cars getting flipped upside down and sliding backwards into a wall. The roll bar doesn't protect the back of the motor so when the rear of the body goes over the wall, the head takes a big hit and snap.

I also saw one do this from a rod failure.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Aluminum can't be injection molded. There are various methods of casting, but most engineblocks are made using an investment or possibly a sand casting process. Perhaps some old engine blocks were made using a die cast method, but it's very crude and the intricate shapes that you see in modern engines are not possible with die casting. They would require a lot of machining to finish the block, which is cost prohibitive. Most established engine manufacturers use very high quality material in their engine blocks, but the environment in which we run them and the hard impacts that are common with exposed engines can crack an engine block. I don't believe there is one engine that is more predisposed to this type of damage - you'll usually find this type of damage in proportion to the number of engines sold. So, an engine that sells more will experience a higher number of damaged blocks just because of of their numbers in the market.

I've been fortunate enough to see the manufacturing process of many engine manufacturers and, at least during the time I last visited a number of engine factories, OS was using the most advanced and precise processes available. Their quality is outstanding and their technology is the best in the business.

Nothing surprises me regarding breakage of engines and other parts that we normally assume are extremely durable, because I've also seen some of the wrecks that have caused this type of damage - when you run that fast and crash that hard, stuff breaks.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Most advanced

usually causes all kinds of problems, look at the ammount of problems with os engines over the years. Bearings, rods, crankshafts, oh yeah my favorite, the carbs, and now the cases, what's left?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

So how many OS engines have you owned that have experienced all these problems?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveP
Aluminum can't be injection molded. There are various methods of casting, but most engineblocks are made using an investment or possibly a sand casting process. Perhaps some old engine blocks were made using a die cast method, but it's very crude and the intricate shapes that you see in modern engines are not possible with die casting. They would require a lot of machining to finish the block, which is cost prohibitive. Most established engine manufacturers use very high quality material in their engine blocks, but the environment in which we run them and the hard impacts that are common with exposed engines can crack an engine block. I don't believe there is one engine that is more predisposed to this type of damage - you'll usually find this type of damage in proportion to the number of engines sold. So, an engine that sells more will experience a higher number of damaged blocks just because of of their numbers in the market.

I've been fortunate enough to see the manufacturing process of many engine manufacturers and, at least during the time I last visited a number of engine factories, OS was using the most advanced and precise processes available. Their quality is outstanding and their technology is the best in the business.

Nothing surprises me regarding breakage of engines and other parts that we normally assume are extremely durable, because I've also seen some of the wrecks that have caused this type of damage - when you run that fast and crash that hard, stuff breaks.

You hear of more OS engines breaking cases then any other brand...high tech or not they dont have a strong case ! Picco cases are much beefier and stronger !
Old 12-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

only broke the mounting ear off a V-spec (bashing)
but have not had a problem sense. but now
I only use king headz motor mounts
Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by SteveP
. Their quality is outstanding and their technology is the best in the business.

I beg to differ.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
You hear of more OS engines breaking cases then any other brand...high tech or not they dont have a strong case ! Picco cases are much beefier and stronger !
I would agree but his point was that of course you will see more OS motors break because there are more of them on the track.

Numbers vary from track to track but typically if there are 50 racers at a track, 30 of them are using OS motors. So, if we assume this is a really tough track and 10% of racers will have cases break, that's 3 OS motors broken to only 2 of all the other types combined despite the fact that all the motors had the same failure rate (in this hypothetical example).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.