R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
Tech Regular
 
slumlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

2 v-specs.

Is it just me or is there a pattern forming here?
__________________
Jay Stuart #66
slumlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #17
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
My GO tech 7 port. Was running on the track in practice by myself when I thought I flammed out. Brought it back to the box, and snap! Right in half.

Up until then it ran awesome. Not quite sure why it happened... Totally awesome none the less!


wow.....That's Impressive.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord View Post
2 v-specs.

Is it just me or is there a pattern forming here?



this hobby is abusive on gear...there's no pattern..it's those 1 in a million hits that cause catastrophic failure and there's not much you could have done to prevent it.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #19
Tech Elite
 
tom2tone's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,818
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

another v-spec here... ran about 4 gallons through on my mugen 5t then put it on my losi 8b. Got about 2 races days and it's cracked

Since we are on the subject.... this is my first nitro motor. Should I replace the crankcase or just get a new motor?
__________________
TEKNO EB48.3 / ET48
AE T5M & B6
Tekin / AKA / Hitec / SMC / Futaba
Trains and Lanes Racing http://tandlracing.com/
Dunn Raceway Park http://drprc.com
tom2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #20
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,866
Default

man thats crazy i guess i been lucky or something my engines never cracked weird man.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #21
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord View Post
2 v-specs.

Is it just me or is there a pattern forming here?


It seems the cases that are injection molded are more prone to cracking... most current brands use injection molding to make their cases...a few companies still use cast cases...from everything i understand a cast case is more durable then a injection molded case..... FYI Picco uses a cast case and I have never yet heard of a Picco cracking a case like this, not saying it hasn't happened, just that I have never seen or heard of it...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #22
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,089
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
My GO tech 7 port. Was running on the track in practice by myself when I thought I flammed out. Brought it back to the box, and snap! Right in half.

Up until then it ran awesome. Not quite sure why it happened... Totally awesome none the less!
quality materials


holy smokes !!!! haven't seen one like that before
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #23
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,785
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
quality materials


holy smokes !!!! haven't seen one like that before
I have seen several onroad motors do that exact same thing, and yes they were Novas. Not really applicable to offroad though. In those cases, the breaks were caused by cars getting flipped upside down and sliding backwards into a wall. The roll bar doesn't protect the back of the motor so when the rear of the body goes over the wall, the head takes a big hit and snap.

I also saw one do this from a rod failure.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic
 
SteveP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 918
Default

Aluminum can't be injection molded. There are various methods of casting, but most engineblocks are made using an investment or possibly a sand casting process. Perhaps some old engine blocks were made using a die cast method, but it's very crude and the intricate shapes that you see in modern engines are not possible with die casting. They would require a lot of machining to finish the block, which is cost prohibitive. Most established engine manufacturers use very high quality material in their engine blocks, but the environment in which we run them and the hard impacts that are common with exposed engines can crack an engine block. I don't believe there is one engine that is more predisposed to this type of damage - you'll usually find this type of damage in proportion to the number of engines sold. So, an engine that sells more will experience a higher number of damaged blocks just because of of their numbers in the market.

I've been fortunate enough to see the manufacturing process of many engine manufacturers and, at least during the time I last visited a number of engine factories, OS was using the most advanced and precise processes available. Their quality is outstanding and their technology is the best in the business.

Nothing surprises me regarding breakage of engines and other parts that we normally assume are extremely durable, because I've also seen some of the wrecks that have caused this type of damage - when you run that fast and crash that hard, stuff breaks.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:03 AM   #25
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Most advanced

usually causes all kinds of problems, look at the ammount of problems with os engines over the years. Bearings, rods, crankshafts, oh yeah my favorite, the carbs, and now the cases, what's left?
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic
 
SteveP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 918
Default

So how many OS engines have you owned that have experienced all these problems?
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:34 AM   #27
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Aluminum can't be injection molded. There are various methods of casting, but most engineblocks are made using an investment or possibly a sand casting process. Perhaps some old engine blocks were made using a die cast method, but it's very crude and the intricate shapes that you see in modern engines are not possible with die casting. They would require a lot of machining to finish the block, which is cost prohibitive. Most established engine manufacturers use very high quality material in their engine blocks, but the environment in which we run them and the hard impacts that are common with exposed engines can crack an engine block. I don't believe there is one engine that is more predisposed to this type of damage - you'll usually find this type of damage in proportion to the number of engines sold. So, an engine that sells more will experience a higher number of damaged blocks just because of of their numbers in the market.

I've been fortunate enough to see the manufacturing process of many engine manufacturers and, at least during the time I last visited a number of engine factories, OS was using the most advanced and precise processes available. Their quality is outstanding and their technology is the best in the business.

Nothing surprises me regarding breakage of engines and other parts that we normally assume are extremely durable, because I've also seen some of the wrecks that have caused this type of damage - when you run that fast and crash that hard, stuff breaks.

You hear of more OS engines breaking cases then any other brand...high tech or not they dont have a strong case ! Picco cases are much beefier and stronger !
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #28
Tech Master
 
cary's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,914
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

only broke the mounting ear off a V-spec (bashing)
but have not had a problem sense. but now
I only use king headz motor mounts
__________________
Xray XB8 14,AE RC8T3,XB9 13,Kyosho wheeler,Losi SCTE 2.0,+ More
> The Animal,Frank L. Jr. <
~~~~RedRock Hobbies~~~~
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #29
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
. Their quality is outstanding and their technology is the best in the business.

I beg to differ.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #30
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,785
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
You hear of more OS engines breaking cases then any other brand...high tech or not they dont have a strong case ! Picco cases are much beefier and stronger !
I would agree but his point was that of course you will see more OS motors break because there are more of them on the track.

Numbers vary from track to track but typically if there are 50 racers at a track, 30 of them are using OS motors. So, if we assume this is a really tough track and 10% of racers will have cases break, that's 3 OS motors broken to only 2 of all the other types combined despite the fact that all the motors had the same failure rate (in this hypothetical example).
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:52 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net