R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New here, New buggy problem

Hello people this is my first post as im new here and new in the hobby...

I have received my nitro buggy 2 days ago its 1:10 scale

So yesterday evening i was trying to start it and it just didnt work, i was playing a bit with high speed and low speed needles but nothing... I tought maybe the igniter wasnt fully charged. Today with fully charged igniter after a while i started the engine but after a few seconds it stopped.

i brought a car to a local hobby shop and the guy tried to start it but same happend to him.. So he unscrewed the high speed needle 1-2 turns and with pulling the full throttle he managed to keep it running for a minute or so... When i got back home i started it again but after 30sec-1min it turns off... And there is a lot of fuel coming from the exhaust..so i tough there might be a lot of fuel comming into the engine...

I spent like 2-3 hours playing with the settings... but i cant keep it running, when i unscrew the high speed needle a lot of fuel comming out and it turns off after a minute, if i screew it clockwise it stops after a few seconds. Often it runs for few seconds and when i take the igniter off it stops....

Im not sure what should i do..... Could there be anything else apart from carburetor settings because i might be wasting my time and nerves on that, if there is something else.. And there is fuel comming from the tank through the pipe that goes to the exhaust...

Sorry for my bad english and im new to this so help please...

hope i was clear

thanks
ShonEPFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo

This is new engine? If yes, you need to brake in the engine before you do the tuning. Ok....to make it able to start, remove the glow plug and test it with your igniter and it should light up. If this ok, then you need to know which needler is high speed, low speed and idle. Increase the idle a little and try to start it.......The fuel out from pipe meaning your HSN and LSN is very rich and this will cause the problem you face. Once the engine start, leave up your car and rev it so that to clear the fuel and to heat up the engine and try to check the temp after few revving. From there then you can start tuning if the engine already done brake in. If is new, then check the thread on top of each page how to brake in your engine.
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Tell us what brand of car you purchased so we have an idea of what engine is included. If possible, visit the manufacturers website and see if they recommend standard settings for the engine. That would be the best place to start. Breaking in the engine isn't a concern until you can get the engine to start.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Default thanks guys

I managed to start it ... I think the problem was that the idle screw was to open-closed so when i press the break it closes the carb. fully and car stops... And also that spring on the throttle servo was to short i think and servo wasnt adjusted properly... I figured that myself as when i press the throttle and release it the carb stays half open but when i break it closes all the way and then goes back to 1-2mm open....

So i figured out how to adjust the servo and also pulled a spring a bit to make it longer....

I think im done with breaking in as i spent round 5 tanks of fuel and used that method from up there... 2-3 mins then cool it down then 4-5......Plus i used round 2 tanks while i was trying to make it run...

I left rich settings during the break in as i guess thats how it should be... There is oil comming from the exhaust but ill make it leaner tomorrow...

Now what worries me as im not the expert and this is my first buggy how do i check the tempereture, i dont think i have any instruments, is there any other reliable method or should i get some instrument. If so what?

PS ill try to find the link as atm they dont have this car on their web site...'
ShonEPFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does it make you feel great when you can figure it out on your own,, but as far as a temp gun I would get one till you get more familiar with the tunning aspect. After a couple engines you will be able to tune by sound and smoke.
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Dont worry about temp at this point. Just start leaning on it little by little until it's ripping. Just make sure you're leaving a clean smoke trail and not spitting out fuel.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You can use the spit test I think it's in the tuning bible. A drop of water should boil off in 2 sec. or so if it dances around it'd too hot. Heat is your friend when breaking in the motor better to cover the heat sink with foil , sock ect to get heat at a rich setting. All the info you need is in the tuning/breakin bible don't worry about perfect race tune for about 1/2 gal or more. Look up pinch test for low speed needle if it's not in there. If it's cold when your doing the first high speed breakin you can cover half the sinks.A temp gun can be had pretty cheap on ebay if you can get to a track I'm sure you can barrow one and get some help too.I always temp my motors when they come off the track to make nothing is happening to make em lean.If you get some help be sure to spend some extra time marshaling for them , more likely to help you some more.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote