R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
Tech Rookie

Well the one it has in it now is a new SH 21

I just want to add a bigger engine it it to make it stronger/ faster.
Nitro kicks ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro kicks ass View Post
Well the one it has in it now is a new SH 21

I just want to add a bigger engine it it to make it stronger/ faster.

i belive the sh.21 has more top end power than the nova .21 bf with less torque the sh.21 u have is a 8 port right, the nova .21bf has a lot more torque and not bad top end just enough.

if your going racing u dont want a .28 engine or a .26 cause they are big fuel hoggers and cost u in fuel thats for sure. .21 are the way to go, if your bashing then a .28 is fine.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Actually that's the best part of what you bought. SH makes pretty good engines. I wouldn't hesitate to run even one of the cheap "sport" engines from SH.

The Novarossi might be a little better, but then again, the engine isn't the important part... as long as it runs ok worry about the other stuff first.

Since you already bought that buggy, here is what I would do:

Buy the tools and accessories needed... including a starter box. Then worry about other equipment.

Upgrade the servos first. Good servos will be useful when you get a better car. DO NOT buy "cheap" servos. The best steering servo is probably the Hitec 7955TG. It is worth every penny. I run one in my truggy with the "servo saver" set so tight it nearly coil-binds. I've bent and broken aluminum servo horns, without a hiccup from the servo. You can't go wrong with that servo... and if there ever is a problem, Hitec warranty and customer service is absolutely second to none.

Then maybe think about a better radio- but honestly, if that one is comfortable to use, and has endpoint adjustments so you don't burn up servos, it will be ok.
Get someone at your local track who runs in the upper classes (expert/pro) to give you an opinion on it.

THEN you can look for a better buggy later.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #19
Tech Rookie

Thanks guy that brought me hopes back up.
The only problem with going to the local track is finding a track. I live in MN and here we do not have a lot of tracks. well around me we dont. I will look into a new servo. On to another thing can i run this car in the winter?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Actually that's the best part of what you bought. SH makes pretty good engines. I wouldn't hesitate to run even one of the cheap "sport" engines from SH.

The Novarossi might be a little better, but then again, the engine isn't the important part... as long as it runs ok worry about the other stuff first.

Since you already bought that buggy, here is what I would do:

Buy the tools and accessories needed... including a starter box. Then worry about other equipment.

Upgrade the servos first. Good servos will be useful when you get a better car. DO NOT buy "cheap" servos. The best steering servo is probably the Hitec 7955TG. It is worth every penny. I run one in my truggy with the "servo saver" set so tight it nearly coil-binds. I've bent and broken aluminum servo horns, without a hiccup from the servo. You can't go wrong with that servo... and if there ever is a problem, Hitec warranty and customer service is absolutely second to none.

Then maybe think about a better radio- but honestly, if that one is comfortable to use, and has endpoint adjustments so you don't burn up servos, it will be ok.
Get someone at your local track who runs in the upper classes (expert/pro) to give you an opinion on it.

THEN you can look for a better buggy later.
What are end point adjustments?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
What are end point adjustments?
Old school you had to adjust all rc linkages go full steer/throttle"but not far" with horn/linkage adjustments. With end point adj. on the radio you just turn down how far a servo travels. Can be done with new digital servo's & programmers as well but not a substitute for a good radio "programmers cost too". The RTR adjustments will probably be close.
You can run your car as cold outside as you can stand it. At 10f I would start to cover some cooling fins. I always use a heatgun to preheat motor. The plastic gets more brittle the colder it gets.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

basics

if you are willing to spend the time learning about tunning then pritty much any engine is a good engine. most car brand ar3e the same if you are willing to learn how to maintain then any car will do (but i do agree with staying away from exceed and other cheap brands) the main thing that you must spend your money on is a good radio set. this is a commonly overlooked part of the car. if you buy a good radio set it will last you for years and that radio could be used to control many cars. if you were to buy a cheap AM or FM radio you have a high chance of a runaway of seriours malfunction which would stuff your car nomader how much you spend on it. i have been running a Spectrum DX3S for a season of racing and have (so far) never had a runaway or radio glitch. good radios also give you a wide range of ajustments that are just not there on the cheaper versions.

Radio very important
Car and engine comes later.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #23
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluffy1 View Post
basics

if you are willing to spend the time learning about tunning then pritty much any engine is a good engine. most car brand ar3e the same if you are willing to learn how to maintain then any car will do (but i do agree with staying away from exceed and other cheap brands) the main thing that you must spend your money on is a good radio set. this is a commonly overlooked part of the car. if you buy a good radio set it will last you for years and that radio could be used to control many cars. if you were to buy a cheap AM or FM radio you have a high chance of a runaway of seriours malfunction which would stuff your car nomader how much you spend on it. i have been running a Spectrum DX3S for a season of racing and have (so far) never had a runaway or radio glitch. good radios also give you a wide range of ajustments that are just not there on the cheaper versions.

Radio very important
Car and engine comes later.
Ok that is good to know. I will have to start to look into a new radio [if one on there is cheap]. I will post the name of the one it comes with. since i do not know alot about radio's.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Thanks guy that brought me hopes back up.
The only problem with going to the local track is finding a track. I live in MN and here we do not have a lot of tracks. well around me we dont. I will look into a new servo. On to another thing can i run this car in the winter?

MN has Lots of tracks.......there's an facility in Motley/Staples MN called the Moto dome that we race 3 series races there throughout the winter....the MN summer series is a HUGE series....top 10 recognized series in the US...i make the 5+hr trip for almost every race.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote