R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Why did my buggy run away at full sleed??????

I just got a used hyper 7 pbs and half way through the first tank it decided it wasnt going to listen to the radio anymore and sped up to full speed untill stopping in a bush (thankfully!!!) Why in the hell did this happen? Would a fail safe stop this from happening? Would an FM radio do the trick? I cant stand to watch that happen again, I think I almost died.
crockpot7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockpot7 View Post
I just got a used hyper 7 pbs and half way through the first tank it decided it wasnt going to listen to the radio anymore and sped up to full speed untill stopping in a bush (thankfully!!!) Why in the hell did this happen? Would a fail safe stop this from happening? Would an FM radio do the trick? I cant stand to watch that happen again, I think I almost died.
not good

throttle return bands would help but you need to make sure your radio batteries are charged , receiver batteries charged and antenna not broke . start there
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

spektrum with a throttle return spring..
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Tech Prophet

if u get a speckum just set to fail safe but not full brake though just set it to half brake cause . it will screw your servos up but if your battery is, dead than nothing will work accept a throttle return spring or a rubber band.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
if u get a speckum just set to fail safe but not full brake though just set it to half brake cause . it will screw your servos up but if your battery is, dead than nothing will work accept a throttle return spring or a rubber band.
Im sure he wont understand what you said.
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

goodys hair bands get them at walmart for like $2.00
a throttle return spring of some kind is your best bet
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBURCH View Post
Im sure he wont understand what you said.

to the OP: whatever failsafe you get, set the safe points at neutral steering and neutral throttle.

before when i set mine to full brake. i turned my radio off, but i forgot to turn my car off when i was done with it, and the servo set itself to full brake cause it lost signal (when i turned the radio off) and it dead shorted itself trying to apply full brakes for 15+minutes. almost caught my whole car on fire, but people were around to turn it off thankfully!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Something else I would like to add is to check your receiver battery connection to the on/off switch. Sometimes it doesn't fit really tight even if they are brand new connectors. And over time, plugging and unplugging it will cause the connection to loosen up. With all the vibration it can come loose even if it looks plugged in. I've removed the standard connectors on my buggy and soldered in a micro dean plug that is more secure.

This probably isn't the cause of your problem, but something I would defiantly check out to help eliminate the chances of a run away again.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Tech Adept

So the only thing I can do to fix this is get a fail safe system or a throttle return spring? Would a FM radio cut down on this happening?
crockpot7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Depending on the radio it will have a fail safe mode check you manual if not you can pickup a after market FAIL SAFE very simple just following the instruction. This will protect you if your loose connection or if your transmiiter (radio) battery dies go to your LHS they can help.

2nd problem: if your receiver battery dies then a fail safe wont work. You can place a rubber band around your carburetor (Yoke) and attach too your high speed needle I run a throttle return spring to my carb (Yoke) then to my exhaust spring. Be careful thou don't what too much pressure just enough too close the carb. Turn off your receiver and test pull the carb all the way open it should close if it dosnt add more tention but play with the tension you just want enough to close the carb or your will burn your servo.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockpot7 View Post
My car did this a few months ago, after much testing and checking I found that the Spektrum reciever had a failed connection in it.

I replaced the reciever and have not had a problem since.

I also have my failsafes set to straight ahead and neutral throttle / brake.
boxhead is offline   Reply With Quote