R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

haha all this talk about lipos and fire...
unless you are stupid and dont know what you are doing its pretty hard to make a lipo catch fire..
if you charge and balance it/and never drop it below cut off you wont have a problem unless you use crap lipos like venom, but my zippy packs have been drop kicked and landed on cement dented but not puff (ill have to buy another pack to warrent a video i guess)
unless you break the pack open they are not going to catch fire...
even then most the videos on youtube of cars on fire is because of lipos rubbing the spur gear or over discharging the pack

o well i will buy a 4s zippy/turnigy/flightmax anyday..
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
Tech Prophet

i just use a 12v and pretty high torque motors and it starts my engine up fine
and it lasts long if your not constely try to start your engine.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu View Post
haha all this talk about lipos and fire...
unless you are stupid and dont know what you are doing its pretty hard to make a lipo catch fire..
if you charge and balance it/and never drop it below cut off you wont have a problem unless you use crap lipos like venom, but my zippy packs have been drop kicked and landed on cement dented but not puff (ill have to buy another pack to warrent a video i guess)
unless you break the pack open they are not going to catch fire...
even then most the videos on youtube of cars on fire is because of lipos rubbing the spur gear or over discharging the pack

o well i will buy a 4s zippy/turnigy/flightmax anyday..

Most of the vids on youtube are dead shorts or they are being hooked up to a 24V battery effectively puffing the pack and starting the fire ball process.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Most of the vids on youtube are dead shorts or they are being hooked up to a 24V battery effectively puffing the pack and starting the fire ball process.
that too...

or the one that swung an ax at a pack.

if you want the bashability of nimh with out the scaryness of lipo.

get a lifepo
a 5cell pack should be perfect
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=6444
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Man you guys can sure make a truly simple thing complicated in a hurry......... Its pretty dam simple....... get a nice fat 4s(5000+) or a pair of 2s lipos 20C or better and slap them puppies in there.........the moment u sense the box not spinning the motor over as fast as it did b-4(not to hard to tell by the way) charge the stupid things.........it really is that easy......... if you are serious about this RC thing and are mechanically inclined at all( I would think you would be because if you have a nitro vehicle you are wrenching all the time anyways) this really isnt as difficult as some would make it out to be........:h a:

I'm not even gonna talk about putting a 40amp bosch relay in the box so you dont burn the .39 cent on-off switch and push down switch the 1st day out........
Official NON-EXPERT
casterdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #21
mvo
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie View Post
Can some one tell me why I can get Two 14.8v lipos or 1 for under $30 new on ebay but my local hobby shop and even A-Main wants $100. Has any one used the Ebay batteries. Thanks
Quality. Its the same reason DelMonte canned corn tastes better than the generic brand.
When lipos are manufactured, some are good enough for the customer specifications and some are not. The ones that aren't get sold for a lower price to make up for the loss. For example, Thunder Power and FlightPower are made by the same manufacturer. Thunder Power only takes the top 5% of cells where FlightPower takes the top 10%. All the rest get sold at a cheaper price. Another thing that goes into it is support. With ThunderPower/FlightPower packs there's at least a one year warranty, and beyond that, if your battery fails after a year they'll sell you a new one for half price. Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

My friends and I have done some testing with the Zippy packs from www.hobbycity.com and have found good results in most cases. I'm planning on using one for my truggy box. They're cheap, over rated packs so get a higher C rating or capacity than you normally would. Remember, your constant discharge rate = (C rating) X (Ah of the pack) I hope this helps Marcus.

here's a link:
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...0mAh_4S1P_20C_
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote