R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Clutch springs question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/349758-clutch-springs-question.html)

zonda 12-07-2009 06:44 AM

Clutch springs question

Hi, I fitted some clutch springs to my GO engine, I think they were 1.0mm Anyway these springs didnt seem very stiff i could lift them up easily with my finger. When I was driving the car it had no bottom end power at all just seemed like my clutch was slipping/bogging because I had no power low down. I then fitted the biggest pair of springs in my tool box and now I need a screw driver to even move them outwards. Is this normal ??
Reason I ask is I once pulled apart a crappy RTR mach engine and also found the springs were mega stiff.....but that engine had no low down bog..

rccardude04 12-07-2009 07:45 AM

Does it bog like the engine doesn't build any rpm? Or does it bog like the engine is going 100 miles an hour and the car isn't moving?

Too stiff of a clutch will usually just cause lots of wheelspin because the clutch won't engage until the engine is near its powerband. In that case, you should have a LOT of bottom end punch.

On the other hand, if it bogs like the engine can't make any power at all, your springs are too soft or something is binding up in the clutch causing it to engage too early.

-Eric

zonda 12-07-2009 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by rccardude04 (Post 6687611)
Does it bog like the engine doesn't build any rpm? Or does it bog like the engine is going 100 miles an hour and the car isn't moving?

Too stiff of a clutch will usually just cause lots of wheelspin because the clutch won't engage until the engine is near its powerband. In that case, you should have a LOT of bottom end punch.

On the other hand, if it bogs like the engine can't make any power at all, your springs are too soft or something is binding up in the clutch causing it to engage too early.

-Eric

I will try the bigger springs tomoz if its not raining and see how it goes. The engine would not make any power low down, once it had got moving it would scream but pulling out of corners and nailing the throttle didnt do much. The springs I think were way to soft. I had someone else fit them to see it if made a difference but it didnt. another thing was the shoes got worn quickly just after half a tank lol

merdith6 12-07-2009 01:33 PM

sounds like...

your clutch has the wrong brand of springs, sometimes if you mismatch parts on a clutch it causes weird issues. Softer springs aren't bad unless they really don't fit the shoes well. Whatever flywheel you have get the same shoes and springs. Ofna stuff only fits ofna stuff in the clutch department. 1.0 springs usually work good so check it out...