R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Hyper 7 questions

Ok dont laugh at me, but I purchased two Ofna Hyper 7 tq's with hyper .21 engines for me and my son. I paid 260.00 for them brand new. I am new to nitro, and looking forward to learning. I have several questions I hope you dont mind-
I was wondering how this buggy would do in local club races.
My current temps are 230-275, I have ran about 6 tanks of fuel thru it. Are those temps ok?
Is there a good pipe that will help lower temps, maybe give a little more power on the start and high end?

I know I sound like a newb, well I am!
Thanks
Rob
lsbully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Tech Regular

The Hyper7 line has always been a reliable buggy that can really take a beating. When it comes to racing though the hyper 7 is a couple generations behind already but nevertheless that shouldnt keep you from racing because it is still a capable race buggy. And once upon a time it did tq at the worlds I am not completely familiar with the hyper engines but I like to keep my temps around 230. I personally like to use Novarossi 9853 and 9901 pipes. But you might want to check out the Jammin pipes and and decide what kind of power you are looking for. good luck and have fun at the races
Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius View Post
The Hyper7 line has always been a reliable buggy that can really take a beating. When it comes to racing though the hyper 7 is a couple generations behind already but nevertheless that shouldnt keep you from racing because it is still a capable race buggy. And once upon a time it did tq at the worlds I am not completely familiar with the hyper engines but I like to keep my temps around 230. I personally like to use Novarossi 9853 and 9901 pipes. But you might want to check out the Jammin pipes and and decide what kind of power you are looking for. good luck and have fun at the races
Hi Isbully.

Hyper 7 TQ is a great car.

When it comes to engine temp, I personal like to tune the engine for the best performance, and then measure the temperature. Then you know what temperature your engine should have (+/- 5-10 degrees Celcius).

An engine is too hot, if you put a little spit or water on the head, and it says “SPRRRFT” in a second. If the spit stays on the head fore some seconds, you should be fine.

If you are not 100% familiar to engine tuning, you should turn the HSN turn out. Now, follow this great video from HPI, where you can learn what to look for, when it comes to engine tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMz...eature=related

An engine should never run lean, or you will ruin it.

The stock pipe is great for the Hyper engine. You can get more bottom if you drag the pipe away from the header (manifold). If you mount the pipe close to the header, you will get more topspeed and less bottom.

Cheers
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Isbully, the 7 is a good learning platform. Don't let temps be your only way of life. Look for some smoke every time you gas it. The temps will go down some after you run a gallon or more through it. The next thing you need is better steering servo's and good tools to work on it. If you want it to last you got to mantain it. Got a air commpressor? Get one. Someplace to work on it? Make one. The sitting down and messing with it and your boy is time well spent. When you get a chance, go to the track and start asking about racing and set-ups. Most everyone there will help 'cause they want some one new to pic on 'till you start winning. Then the fun realy starts. Most of all, have fun with it 'cause thats what it's all about. Oh, and the slow starts and lacking top end is a lite clucht, need harder springs and oil change in the center diff. Need more info, PM me.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies!
I adjusted the HSN and LSN another 1\8 in and the car flies. Temps are 250.
The working man mentioned to light of springs on clutch and changing diff oils, I was wondering what type of springs to get and where to get them, and what type of diff, and shock oil I should get?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:38 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Hey Is, for now start at you local hobby shop for parts. Oils and such stay with any brand 'cause of little changes from brand to brand. In the center start with 7000. When we talk about diff oils we go front,center,back. So try 5,7,3 to start. For the shocks try 35wt f/b or maybe 40f/35b. Clean everything well befor adding. I like denaturer (?) alcohol. (need to work on spelling) For parts your LHS dosn't have go to Nitrohouse.com. They have EVERYTHING for OFNA cars but there prices are no better than hobby shop. Need more info? PM me.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Tech Addict

i had an hyper 7 when i started also. a good cheap way to make it a better off the bottom is take the fiber clutch shoes off and put some aluminum ones on and change the clutch springs to 1.0 springs. i also tried a few pipes and jp3 worked pretty well with it. the hyper 21 motor is pretty good but i found also if you put a back plate on it instead of the pull start it took off faster. it you take off the pull start and look there is alot of weight in there. if you run 30% nitro that also helps but it shortens the engine life. i ran mine around 240 but i usually dont worry about temp to much i just make sure its smoking good and has power and the only time i worry about temp is when its way hot like 270 or 280. also make sure to put diff oil in them because it comes with grease from the factory and if you dont change them they will give you problems. i would run 5 front-5 center-3 rear to start so its easier to drive or you can run 5 front-5 center-5 rear also very easy to drive. i hope this helps.
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys, your help has been much appreciated.
To date, car is running good, temps around 220-240, I have redone the diffs with 7k in front, 10k in center, and 5k in rear, shocks now have 40 in front and 55 in rear. After I redid the diffs my engine temps seem to drop, thats wierd! I have also ordered 2 Hi tech 645mg servos and will be replacing the pull start with a torque start as soon as the arrive at the house. I cant wait to get this thing on the track, running it in a straight line in front of the house is getting boring.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Damn....2 RTR Tq's for 260$......You did goooood.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Damn....2 RTR Tq's for 260$......You did goooood.
Thats a piece, first nitros, I hope I made a good choice, I am enjoying working on them!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Hyper 7 is a good platform to start out on. It isn't the latest design, but it is a solid platform, and still capable of running well.

7k-10k-5k is pretty high on diff oils. The car would be easier to drive with 5k or 7k in the center... You have oils in there more like a truggy would use- or like a pro driver with serious skills. (Even most pros don't put 10k in the center of a buggy!)

Diff oils:

Lighter in the front makes the steering more responsive. Heavier in the front gives you more traction to "pull" out of corners.

Lighter in the rear makes the steering more responsive. Heavier in the rear gives you more rear traction.

Lighter in the center makes the car more forgiving to drive. Heavier in the center makes the car more aggressive.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Hey Domit, thanks for the response, I couldnt for the world decide on diff oils, and from alot a post I chose those, no big deal tho, Ill see how runs on the track and then change if need be.
I see you live in Ft Worth, I live in Burleson. We will have to race one day. I plan on going to the Grandbury track tomorrow!