RC8B. Inexpensive and fast....
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by merdith6
RC8B. Inexpensive and fast....
WHAT!?? the kit or the rtr
Old 12-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

I'd just get the losi and sell what you dont need and upgrade down the line to better parts over time. You'll have more money in a kit then you'll wanna spend in the long road, TRUST ME. I built a truggy from the ground up and i wish i'd bought the RTR cause i have close to abgrand in it and still aint done with it.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sicsam
I'd just get the losi and sell what you dont need and upgrade down the line to better parts over time. You'll have more money in a kit then you'll wanna spend in the long road, TRUST ME. I built a truggy from the ground up and i wish i'd bought the RTR cause i have close to abgrand in it and still aint done with it.
u mean like kits
Old 12-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, but mine was a stripped down rtr i redone like a kit.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Tech Prophet

u dont have to upgrade the hb d8 in parts as i know of and it is a kit but
its pretty easy to put thougher
Old 12-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Get a good used MBX6 or XB808 ($200)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
u dont have to upgrade the hb d8 in parts as i know of and it is a kit but
its pretty easy to put thougher
I have had a D8. Thay have issues with the rear tower breaking-wing support is not triangulated to the diff case it all is up top. So when you crash it has a ton of leverage to snap the tower in half. There are some aftermarket companies trying build blocks and what not to remedy this problem. The drive shafts break constantly even the "updated ones". I ended up running XB8 shafts in mine($25 each-ouch). Also I had few c-hub failures. If the track you race at is rough and bumpy you will need the 115mm rear shock kit($80?). Check the forum you will find a long list of mods that are needed. Also it is heavy-this what makes them stable. In short run up to jumps this may be a issue unless you have a motor with alot of bottom end. Also at the time I ran one parts were hard to come by. I had to buy everything from ebay-usually kit parts that someone parted out to meet the demand. It was so bad that the local HB pro dropped his sponsorship because they could not even get him parts. The D8 guys seem to do best at bigger flowing tracks. I dumped the D8 and got a 6-night and day difference. No mods needed except I did get a Kinghead ext mount. I did get frustrated with some DNFs from pivot ball issues. But my speed increased substancially. Recently picked up a XB808 and really like it alot. Still trying to get a handle on it. But the quality of build is outstanding. There are really no mods needed. So my advice from recently being in your shoes about 1 year ago, is get a good used kit. You can find them on ebay for $200 to $250 all day long. If you are set on the D8 get a used one off ebay thats already had all the mods done. I have seen them go for $100 to $175. Dont do like me and spend alot of money trying to save alittle. You will be much happier in the end.

Last edited by JonnyW; 12-08-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 12-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Prophet

dam dint know u had to buy the longer shocks and they break shock towers
i did know that they had a cvd problem breaking but they upgraded them,
hope u dint buy it.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JonnyW
I have had a D8. Thay have issues with the rear tower breaking-wing support is not triangulated to the diff case it all is up top. So when you crash it has a ton of leverage to snap the tower in half. There are some aftermarket companies trying build blocks and what not to remedy this problem. The drive shafts break constantly even the "updated ones". I ended up running XB8 shafts in mine($25 each-ouch). Also I had few c-hub failures. If the track you race at is rough and bumpy you will need the 115mm rear shock kit($80?). Check the forum you will find a long list of mods that are needed. Also it is heavy-this what makes them stable. In short run up to jumps this may be a issue unless you have a motor with alot of bottom end. Also at the time I ran one parts were hard to come by. I had to buy everything from ebay-usually kit parts that someone parted out to meet the demand. It was so bad that the local HB pro dropped his sponsorship because they could not even get him parts. The D8 guys seem to do best at bigger flowing tracks. I dumped the D8 and got a 6-night and day difference. No mods needed except I did get a Kinghead ext mount. I did get frustrated with some DNFs from pivot ball issues. But my speed increased substancially. Recently picked up a XB808 and really like it alot. Still trying to get a handle on it. But the quality of build is outstanding. There are really no mods needed. So my advice from recently being in your shoes about 1 year ago, is get a good used kit. You can find them on ebay for $200 to $250 all day long. If you are set on the D8 get a used one off ebay thats already had all the mods done. I have seen them go for $100 to $175. Dont do like me and spend alot of money trying to save alittle. You will be much happier in the end.
The rear shock tower design has been updated and fixed. the other easy solution is to get an ACE rear shock tower. that thing is bullet proof. the important thing to remember is that hot bodies had awesome customer service. just give them a call and they will help you out!

also, "Drive shafts break constantly" is a bit of an over step. theres 10 hot bodies d8 or d8t's that i run with and i havent seen a broken driveshaft since the begining of the year. the most important part is to keep the joints greased and cover them with GMK condoms, or HPI cvd boots.

the long shocks are definately not nessicary. over this year ive ran on nice smooth tracks to really messed up blown out tracks, and ive never switched up to the long shocks. no need. just adjust the shock fluid.

youre gonna love the D8 slasher man! come check out the thread here for any extra information http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ies-buggy.html
Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Ofna/Picco buggy
Old 12-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Smile buggy for racing

Why not find yourself a good used one! that's what I did some people really take care of their cars! I bought a jammin x1 for 150 it's brand new and the guy gave me a ton of stuff. 3 gal. fuel, starter box,4 set of tires,tools, carrying case for car and one for fuel. This is all in like new cond. oh and 2 customs painted bodies! with the money I had left over i bought a better engine, and a mbx5 with msr conversion kit in great cond I use it for bashing around. total spend on hobby so far 400. the kick priceless! good luck
Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

youre gonna love the D8 slasher man! come check out the thread here for any extra information http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ies-buggy.html[/QUOTE]

Be ready to camp out at your computer. That thread is the biggest on here I think-600+ pages. Damn!! But I would read it before buying one. You will learn all there is to know. You can decide for yourself.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JUD
Ofna/Picco buggy

il be honest with you... thats a heavy buggy to get into racing i mean yea if,
he can wheel it then maybe he has a chance in a sportsman class but its.
defiely a underdog buggy compared to the ligther buggys its not a bad buggy though.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
il be honest with you... thats a heavy buggy to get into racing i mean yea if,
he can wheel it then maybe he has a chance in a sportsman class but its.
defiely a underdog buggy compared to the ligther buggys its not a bad buggy though.
Actually the d8 comes in at 7.5 lbs and the ofna hyper 9 comes in at 7.2 lbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.