Wiki Posts
Search

Cityblock VS. Calibers

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Cityblock VS. Calibers

I currently run AKA city blocks with sucess. Liking the mounting style of the pro-line VTR tires how do the calibers compare to the city blocks, Includint the foams? AKA has great foams so i dont want to switch but i hate the way the old style beads mount. What do you guys think that have run bolth of these tires and foams?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Prophet

i seen 1 guy run the 1/8 buggy calibers i ask him and he said its the best tire he ever had and there a softer rubber than the aka too,they look like they are more grippyer than the city blocks and its more of a around tire i would ,stick the aka foam in it though carolina r/c had a slammin deal
on the calibers but they where unmounted for 11.99! a pair,oh sorry i forgot u run truggy but i think it would work the same way
Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have run both at my local track and have to say that I personally prefer the AKA. The Calibers don't seem to hookup aswell with my driving style and Truggy setup and wear alot faster and only lasted a few meetings with the AKA's still looking new after a couple of months.

With the glueing aspect I have NO IDEA as I outsource all my tyre gluing
Old 12-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i seen 1 guy run the 1/8 buggy calibers i ask him and he said its the best tire he ever had and there a softer rubber than the aka too,they look like they are more grippyer than the city blocks and its more of a around tire i would ,stick the aka foam in it though carolina r/c had a slammin deal
on the calibers but they where unmounted for 11.99! a pair,oh sorry i forgot u run truggy but i think it would work the same way
aka's super soft is the softest out...

i like them both..but i need to see which holds up longer...
Old 12-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Who would that be DV ? LOL...

I have run most brands on the market, and my personal favourites are the AKA City Blocks Soft (ps I run Truggy only) I also realy like the inserts, very well made.

Just so you can see for yourselves what I'v tried.

http://www.ausrc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14671
Old 12-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by reggie l.
aka's super soft is the softest out...

i like them both..but i need to see which holds up longer...

i dont know i would think the soft compound would if you run 1/8 buggy with super soft who knows how long they will last,but the soft aka last pretty long on the buggys depending on how ruff the surface is,i would think in truggy,
that they would last pretty long not sure though
Old 12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

i dont know i would think the soft compound would if you run 1/8 buggy with super soft who knows how long they will last,but the soft aka last pretty long on the buggys depending on how ruff the surface is,i would think in truggy,
that they would last pretty long not sure though
ive been hearing the ss's hold up pretty well actualy...and theystick like glue...i guess we will have to see
Old 12-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Prophet

so they will work at hobby hut i seems though it never seems to get dry enough on the track that the super soft would work but i dint go there intil fall so in the summer time i guess they could work does it get that dry and dusty during summer i know they added more clay than before.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

so they will work at hobby hut i seems though it never seems to get dry enough on the track that the super soft would work but i dint go there intil fall so in the summer time i guess they could work does it get that dry and dusty during summer i know they added more clay than before.
i hear they are for damp to dry tracks..you should be fine...just hobby hut is so damn rough
Old 12-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by reggie l.
i hear they are for damp to dry tracks..you should be fine...just hobby hut is so damn rough

yea i know the last race they had it was really bumpy and rutty i was running my slash there that day i was go full board and it was bounceing and almost felt like it was gone to spin out, thats why i think truggys and monster trucks ,are the best for that track i seen one guy with a 1/8 buggy coming down the stright during the main to turn and rolled 4 times lol .
Old 12-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

For the truggy there is no comparison the calibers are better than the cityblocks at least on the tracks I run on. The caliber tires do wear out faster and do have more side bite. On the buggy the caliber tires dont seem to work as well they are about the same as the cityblocks, personally I prefer the losi eclipse tires, they seem to hook up at most tracks. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I have ran both on my buggy, and they are close but I think the Calibers have more forward bite as you first get on the gas from a turn.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I love my AKA cityblocks in soft

I can't believe how long the soft city blocks last, I would love to get a premounted set of supersoft to try em out. Now I haven't tried the pro line ones, but they don't come with their closed cell foams yet all mounted up. If you but them seperatly it will cost you. The AKA's are priced right and last. I would get a set of soft and supersoft when the come out pre mounted.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by rider313
I currently run AKA city blocks with sucess.
Just a dumb question......

What is it about the mounting bead do you think makes the tire better or will make you faster?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

AKA is a better tire. period ! I don't how any other tire could be easier to mount. AKA tires are the easiest tires I have ever mounted. They last alot longer, even the super softs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.