R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Hitec is using titanium for marketing hype. I think you'd be surprised it we were able to find out how little titanum there is in the servo (probably one gear, partial ti in aluminum). Ti would suck as a gear material, the metal's surface hardness is low and it has high friction. It is somehow both soft and incredibly hard on cutting tools.

That said, Hitecs top servos are great stuff, they last and you rarely hear anything bad about them, in R/C, that's saying a lot.

Edit: Did the OP really start a thread to direct us to another thread? Really?

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Yes you had a low end Hitec centering Problem....LET IT GO>

the Flagship 7955/7950/7940 are NOTHING like the little brother you had.

5645 or 645....either or...they have been around for many of year's with no problems.

Ti gears Do Not wear as you think they might....Ace's Do blow gear set's more often then not due to being weak brass......75 for a servo that WIll have the gears let go at some point in its life....OR 100$ for a Hitec That WILL outlast every piece of plastic/metal on you car currently...the choice is pretty easy if you ask me.

look all im saying is that hitec should make their cheaper servo a little better,
in the centering department for the guys on a budget thats all im saying
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #18
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmatron View Post
hitec all the way 5955 or 7955 for steering and I run 5985 or currently 5996 tg for throttle/brake..burned out 1 motor pinion on an older 5955 .sent it in for repair and hitec replaced it with a 7955 at half price.. I've broken everything else I've tried..guys at our club run orion but at .07sec I only have to turn down the speed and they blow them regularly so they end up spending more than I did on my hitecs anyway....there are some good deals on ebay for hitec as well..

did the people u know that blowed the orion servo up not tune down thier,
speed on their servo or not tune down thier steering throw they might have
had way to much, just wondering.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
did the people u know that blowed the orion servo up not tune down thier,
speed on their servo or not tune down thier steering throw they might have
had way to much, just wondering.
I think actually they might have had a bad batch as they buzzed even when not under load and seemed to get hot too..then they just died..
I've never bought a new hitec either..just get them "near new" off ebay at half price or less..last 5955 I had 2nd hand lasted 2 years hard racing and finally the teeth on the tiny brass motor pinion wore out..these aren't replaceable except by hitec as they come pre-fitted to the motor so I sent in the servo for repair and as it was discontinued I was offered a brand new 7955 for half list price..can't argue with that..
re the titanium..only the last 3 gears are titanium..the first gear is a metal/karbonite gear which works like a fuse in an electrical circuit.I think they cost around 7 bucks for a packet of 3 gears..and the tiny gear on the motor itself is brass..I've never even had to look at the ti gears for wear or not..fit and forget usually.
hitec HS5955tg and HS7965tg servos
Gizmatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
Tech Prophet

yea thats weird it might of been a bad batch that can be any servo though,
it does have a heatsink inside i believe so thats weird that it would get hot
it sounds like the computer chip just shorted out or a wire inside got loose
and touched something it wasnt supposed too.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmatron

I thought that but after the 3rd one blew I thought it must surely be his set up so I went over it myself and there was no binding or strain that I could find..no idea....
hitec HS5955tg and HS7965tg servos
Gizmatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #22
Tech Prophet

yea that sounds like a defect
Old 12-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #23
Tech Prophet

cause my still fine on my 1/8 nitro buggy
Old 12-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post

Edit: Did the OP really start a thread to direct us to another thread? Really?

I am assuming OP is me? (not sure what OP stands for?)
But I did throw a thread with a link in here, as th ethread had been sitting in the electric section for 12 hours with only 1 person replying, now I have more replies and a larger range of options.

I was not expecting answers in this thread (but am happy to see answers anywhere) and checked here as I thought I would need to bump the question up.
boxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

OP=Original poster.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, more info on me and what might suit.

My driving skills are far from great, with the Sanwa ERG-VX that was fitted (and now dead) I found the car to be very twitchy - a guy at the track was trying to help me and he slowed down the expedetion (or something along those lines) on the transmitter and I found the car easier to drive.

Would the JR z590m suit me (since a quick servo I will probably only slow down anyway)
boxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #27
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Ok, more info on me and what might suit.

My driving skills are far from great, with the Sanwa ERG-VX that was fitted (and now dead) I found the car to be very twitchy - a guy at the track was trying to help me and he slowed down the expedetion (or something along those lines) on the transmitter and I found the car easier to drive.

Would the JR z590m suit me (since a quick servo I will probably only slow down anyway)

Spend the 200$ and go Dual Hitec 7955's and Dont look back....They WILL NOT let you down and aren't as twitchy as some of the high speed servo's out there.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #28
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Titanium is great for lots of things, but used on gears, hinge pins and so on they tend to wear faster than expected. Really steel is the best for gears and high load friction areas. I used to buy titanium hinge pins for my rc10 and they wore out way faster than the stock steel ones, but who knows hitech servos have come a long way. I tend to favor, The 1313 Ace servos for steering on my buggy, and the futaba bl servo for throttle. It has great resolution and speed where it won't get broken as easily in throttle duty as it's like 100 bucks. the ace servo is like 75 bucks and if the gears wear out they are cheap like 18 bucks to replace, and I sent in the one ace servo that just stopped and they sent me a new one no questions asked. Futaba on the other hand are a pain in the neck to deal with. Now Jr servos are great, but expensive, but those are my three favorite brands...

I love the 1015's performance...I ran them for 2 years, however I found they just dont hold up that well... And when I went to buy parts nothing fit as ACE has had so many updates that the parts are all mismatched and not relabeled...... Had to drop out of several races dude to ACE servo's failing, and because of the hassle I wont run them any more...great servo when they are working, but definitely not as durable or reliable as the Hitech's ...... Same story with JR servo's, great when working, but failure rate is far too high for me to trust them...the only steering servo I will consider is a 7955..... I run a Futaba BLS on throttle tho, and I absolutely love it, but I wouldn't trust a BLS for steering, been there and got burnt ..... IMHO the only safe bet these days is a 7955...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #29
Tech Prophet

i dont know how u guys burn these servos up do u jump them off a
building or something
Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #30
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i dont know how u guys burn these servos up do u jump them off a
building or something

its called competitive racing my friend.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote