Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner Engine for Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

There are several good motors out there now that are priced right. I personally feel the best 2 under 200.00 are the Od ss .21 and the Werks B5. Both would pull a truck around nicely.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

This is my first year in truggy and i got a jammin .28 with adynamite 053 pipe and its great! I took about 20% throttle out of it and it still flys and comes in at about $260 or so with the pipe.

Last edited by sicsam; 12-06-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Potoczak
Whats a good beginner engine for a RC8T truggy, this will be my first attempt at nitro. i have no idea how to tune engines to get the most power out of them. Any help would be great...
i would get an rb, s3 or s5 or the new 9 series equivalent. easy to break in, easy to tune, enough power to manage and last forever (while you are learning how to tune). i had an s5 and the carb retainer screw fell out, motor started to lean out, after richening the lsn mid race it still leaned out farther. eventually i brought it in with what little power it had and it temped at 450. every one walked by and said "its toast, theres a trash can overthere..". at the end of the day i fired it up (with a new retainer screw) re-tuned the lsn and it ran flawless another 2 gallons. sold it and it is still running on the other side of the world. i would try to get the older model s3 or s5 as i have not seen or ran the new 9 series of engines.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

I am not new to nitro motors, off-road, or rc, but my first real nice race truggy was the 8-T 2.0. Here's what I did, I got an OS V-Spec for $240 on Towerhobbies ($300-$60 off coupon) and then I broke it in. It is a pain to to do, and the engine is so tight it is hard to turn over at first. After about half a gallon I replaced the stock conrod with the OS Speed rod. This will make it last a lot longer and perform a bit better. $40 for the new rod. that brings you to $280. When I first went to the track, I was overshooting the corners and it was a little much as mentioned before (especially because I had been used to driving my Mini ERevo and Slash lately). After about 20 minutes, i really started putting in some consistent laps down. After an hour of hard running, the temps maxed at 230 degrees, which is amazing. the engine is so easy to tune, and held the tune the whole time. Granted, I also have a lot of experience with running my old Muggy with a LRP Spec 3 .28 which has tons of low end. Running the OS VSpec with the speed rod and a RE11 pipe or an OS 2060 is the way to go!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Prophet

yea but i dont think a beginner whould like to have to replace ,
the connecting rod right after he breaks it in,if i was still
a beginner i would like a less powerful engine to learn.
but hey u can always turn turn the thottle epa but whats
to do that though ha
Old 12-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I picked up a NR limited, wanted more grunt for indoors, I cannot believe the power & top-end out of a $140 mill.Last night was practicing day before a state race, only a couple of cars were noticeably faster at the last 1/4 of straight. I have much more expensive motors I am leaving it in there. The way it instantly shuts down to idle also seems to help my driving also.I am just getting a race tune on it it's not finicky at all. You can use the money you save to get the right tires for the track you'll be running & maybe still have some for upgrading servos"wish I wouldn't of went budget there when I started"
Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

n21bf limited or n21r limited with dynamite 086hs

Check em out @ www.houstonsengineservice.com
Italian mills are very high quality with unsurpassed craftsmanship and quality of the metal used to make the engines themselves ! I believe everyone will agree on that fact .

Last edited by houston; 12-06-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default So true 153

The bf, shuts down perfectly in the corners and you can get a good low idle out of it. Just that difference helps turn consistent laps all day long. My best qualifer with no wrecks, no stumbles and no sneezes either was a few years ago with the older bf and it was track record. Sounds silly but less can be more. And sometimes my p5 is my best friend too. For a beginner the nova engines will take a beating where the os engines will do weird stuff. I know they are great smooth engines, nothing sounds like an os engine, but I wouldn't buy one and have to do work on them inside 5 gallons. With my nova's they run and run till my car needs to be replaced. Without ever taking them apart.....Hey brad,dommit, do I know you. i lived in Austin tx for a while and raced at n control. They call me Mad Dog at the track?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
The bf, shuts down perfectly in the corners and you can get a good low idle out of it. Just that difference helps turn consistent laps all day long. My best qualifer with no wrecks, no stumbles and no sneezes either was a few years ago with the older bf and it was track record. Sounds silly but less can be more. And sometimes my p5 is my best friend too. For a beginner the nova engines will take a beating where the os engines will do weird stuff. I know they are great smooth engines, nothing sounds like an os engine, but I wouldn't buy one and have to do work on them inside 5 gallons. With my nova's they run and run till my car needs to be replaced. Without ever taking them apart.....Hey brad,dommit, do I know you. i lived in Austin tx for a while and raced at n control. They call me Mad Dog at the track?
Ummm... dunno, maybe, I've raced at Ncontrol a few times. What's your name? (The only "mad dog" I know of is Eddie Doggett, not sure I spelled the name right.)

If you've seen a truggy with a bright yellow '56 Ford body on it with hot pink flames on the front... that's mine. If this is Eddie... well... you've seen me at Indy too, including this past weekend for the Lone Star Classic.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Not trying to jack the thread, but does anyone have an opinion on this engine?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=ASC800
Old 12-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Prophet

yea i really thinking about getting that engine for my truggy its nice man
and i heard the milage is really good too,i heard that it runs good .
Old 12-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'm running the RB Killer 9 and loving it. I've got just a little over 1.5 gallons on it and it's finally starting to open up. With an 053 pipe and 7mm restrictor, I'm easliy getting 10 minutes in truggy. This was my first nitro engine in 10 years and I have had no tuning issues at all. It's got tons of power and a very linear power band. I would like to try the Nova, but no need to right now. I will probably replace the rod and bearings after I finish out this gallon to keep it fresh.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

mayfield won the 2009 truggy nationals with that motor except it was the reedy 121vr assumming its pretty much same motor. but yea y not go with a go 5 port motor??
Old 12-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

N21BF limited w/ 086 pipe for larger track ,but if small/medium track 053 pipe theres 2 pipe to choose from (ofna/dynamite) hope it helps ...........
Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

if this is your very first nitro engine, i would suggest getting a novarossi p5/p5x/p5xs rebuild from monty houston on here (username: houston). it'll cost somewhere around 175-200 and these engines are as good as a just-broken-in engine. so the engine is pretty much broken in already and you can just concentrate on learning how to tune your first engine. the p5 line of engines has a great bottom end so it will move your truggy with no probs. even though it's an older model engine, it still has the reputation of being one of the best .21 engines to be made. the added benefit of getting the engine from monty is that he has a lot of parts for these engines and if you screw something up during your learning process, he can get you back up and running very quickly. he offers replacement parts for these at awesome prices and will install em for ya if you ship the engine to him.

as previously stated, the novarossi n21bf is also a great consistent engine. it'll have less power than the p5 line but it is cheaper, very consistent, and is easy to tune.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.