R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaxx21 View Post
if your buggy tires are ballooning you need to put some diff oil in your car....just a thought
I just changed all the diff oils in my Truggy 2.0. It's just the front that baloons. Maybe i should go a little thicker?
Blackjack 26
Aka: Deebo, Poppa Pump / Busted Knuckle Wheelin' / Henchmen Racing
dnebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnebout View Post
Cluffy,
Did you just do those pictures because man do I appreciate it. You didn't have to go through the trouble. TX

Do you boil the tires or put them in the oven to remov?
its no trouble (helps with the bordom)

i am lazy and put them in acetone over night and take the tire off very slowly because the acetone makes the foams very big and very fragile. but does give a perfect tire and rim after.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluffy1 View Post
its no trouble (helps with the bordom)

i am lazy and put them in acetone over night and take the tire off very slowly because the acetone makes the foams very big and very fragile. but does give a perfect tire and rim after.
Wow, no kidding? Acetone. I wouldn't have dared. Heck i still can't do it. What do you like better oven or boiling water for someone that just won't go there.
Blackjack 26
Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
Tech Master

holes in the rim trap dirt & rocks inside & kills the foam. Holes in the tire tread let all the dirt & rocks out. Dont put holes in the rims & tape them up if they come that way & use a hole punch or something similar to put a couple holes in the center of tire tread. For cleaning put a plug of some kind in the holes in the tires, bought some from TKO because I'm too lazy to dig up plugs of my own.If you dont have holes in the rims just use a bathroom brush & water & you can scrub till the cows come home with out getting the foams wet wich will kill them unless you run the AKA style rubber foam.

All tires expand some even the new style. If they dont get 2" diam bigger for most of the track dont worry about them. If they get roughly 2" diam bigger out of every turn something is wrong with your setup/driveline. Only exception is if your running MT or MTR style tires but I didnt think you could still buy those easily.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
holes in the rim trap dirt & rocks inside & kills the foam. Holes in the tire tread let all the dirt & rocks out. Dont put holes in the rims & tape them up if they come that way & use a hole punch or something similar to put a couple holes in the center of tire tread. For cleaning put a plug of some kind in the holes in the tires, bought some from TKO because I'm too lazy to dig up plugs of my own.If you dont have holes in the rims just use a bathroom brush & water & you can scrub till the cows come home with out getting the foams wet wich will kill them unless you run the AKA style rubber foam.

All tires expand some even the new style. If they dont get 2" diam bigger for most of the track dont worry about them. If they get roughly 2" diam bigger out of every turn something is wrong with your setup/driveline. Only exception is if your running MT or MTR style tires but I didnt think you could still buy those easily.
Thanks
Blackjack 26
Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

I asked Gil Losi about belting off-road tires, which is essentially what you're doing when you tape them. The belting would be a lot cleaner and easier to do in the manufacturing process, but the result is close enough. I don't recall what he said as to the exact reason they never continued with the project, but he did exhaustive testing and found that the non-belted tires work better in off-road. Belted tires are pretty common in on-road racing, but they've never seemed to work as well for off-road.

On another note, I noticed the OP's signature included a Losi 8, so I'm assuming you're asking in reference to a 1/8 buggy. If you're experiencing that much ballooning of the tires, then you should check you diffs to be sure that you're using thick enough oil to prevent the diffs from completely unloading under acceleration, or that all the fluid hasn't leaked out. Any time you have lots of tire ballooning under acceleration, it's a sound indication that your diff fluid is too thin, or it's completely gone.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks
I run the Proline VTR's calibers/revolvers/holeshots with no holes in the rims or tires,and definately no tape needed. Just glue and run. They work great!

Henchman racing
DX4R
steve307b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Is this good to do with all tires or just the buggies?

I usually use Simple Green to clean my tires, it that better or worse than soaking them in water?
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
Is this good to do with all tires or just the buggies?

I usually use Simple Green to clean my tires, it that better or worse than soaking them in water?
I use a cleaner (Simple or Mean grean) and i put a little dishsoap on the toothbrush, i scrub them thoroughly and then quickly rinse them off and dry in the dish drainer for and hour or two. They become like new and actually stick to each other when i stack them up. Too much water ruins the foam so i am quick to get each tire rinsed good but fast.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbelden View Post
I use a cleaner (Simple or Mean grean) and i put a little dishsoap on the toothbrush, i scrub them thoroughly and then quickly rinse them off and dry in the dish drainer for and hour or two. They become like new and actually stick to each other when i stack them up. Too much water ruins the foam so i am quick to get each tire rinsed good but fast.
Wow... that's usually what I do, except I blow them off with compressed air and let them sit to dry and they do stick together and look new. Its good to know I'm doing something right, lol!
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i did boil my tires before using acetone

i choose to tap my tires because i have a pair of VP-pro cutoffs and they have worn only in the centre of the tire and nowhere else. all of the other tires i use don't seems to have this problem but i want to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve307b View Post
I run the Proline VTR's calibers/revolvers/holeshots with no holes in the rims or tires,and definately no tape needed. Just glue and run. They work great!

Steve W? Whats up dude?
Blackjack 26
Old 12-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Quote:
Steve W? Whats up dude?
Yep....see you sat

Henchman racing
DX4R
steve307b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #29
Tech Master

MAN, the learning never ends... that's a good thing right? But now I wish I'd NOT spent hours and hours taping every tire I own!

So, if I'm seeing wear in the middle of non-taped front tires or ballooning when accelerating out of a turn, I should thicken up my ??front?? diff fluid?

Thanks in advance.

JJ

Last edited by JEDI BASS; 07-27-2012 at 11:21 PM.
JEDI BASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you are going to do some breathing holes, get a leather punch and punch a couple in the tire 180 degrees from each other.

A good tip i learned at the track a while back to remove tires from the rims:

-Set/preheat your kitchen oven to ~ 300-325 degrees (F)

-Wrap the tires you want to dismount in aluminum foil and place on a cooking sheet/tray (i do wheel face up just in case)

-Heat the tires in the oven for about 10 minutes (may take 15 minutes, check at 10, use a timer and dont forget them lol!)

Dont forget some kind of gloves! They will be hot! The aluminum foil is used to catch some of the fumes this makes so it doesnt stink up the house so bad.

The tires should pull right off the rims. The CA glue will look like it is rubber cement. Try to peel as much of the CA off the tire that you can while its still hot, it makes regluing easier.

For the wheels, soak them while they are dismounted in acetone to eat off all the old CA. An old toothbrush works well for some scrubbing if need be.

I have done this quite a few times and i havent had any resulting warped/melted wheels OR tires. I have found that acetone eats up foams and found a few tires that have actually shrank in diameter. You should be able to glue them up like they were brand new. Its slightly time consuming, but i find the results well worth it. I cant stand strange things going on with my tires!
GizmoJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote