R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default AKA Foams Shrunk???

I bought a set of AKA truggy tires without the foams to replace a set that have worn out. These foams have been used in the set of tires they came with and the set that i just took them out of. the set they just came out of only saw about 1 hours use (soft may have been the wrong choice that day) and they saw about 4 days racing in the set prior

I baked the old tires off the rim and have put the old foams into the new tires to mount them up. When i put them on the rim the foam hasn't filled out the tire, its like the foam has shrunk. so i now have a gap between the tire and the foam.

When new, the foams fill out the tire perfectly. Last time i mounted them they filled the tire perfectly. Prior to coming off they filled the tire perfectly. With this new set they are to small.

i havent glued them up yet, and i dont want to. i really dont like the idea of the air gap between the tire and the foam.

Has anyone else seen this problem before?

Can anyone think of a fix for this problem?

TIX Race Designs. Plaig Bearings. Thunder Innovations
TIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:25 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIX View Post
I bought a set of AKA truggy tires without the foams to replace a set that have worn out. These foams have been used in the set of tires they came with and the set that i just took them out of. the set they just came out of only saw about 1 hours use (soft may have been the wrong choice that day) and they saw about 4 days racing in the set prior

I baked the old tires off the rim and have put the old foams into the new tires to mount them up. When i put them on the rim the foam hasn't filled out the tire, its like the foam has shrunk. so i now have a gap between the tire and the foam.

When new, the foams fill out the tire perfectly. Last time i mounted them they filled the tire perfectly. Prior to coming off they filled the tire perfectly. With this new set they are to small.

i havent glued them up yet, and i dont want to. i really dont like the idea of the air gap between the tire and the foam.

Has anyone else seen this problem before?

Can anyone think of a fix for this problem?
Were the inserts ok before you put them in the oven ?

Tyres the same size ?
Old 12-02-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Did you bake the tire with the foam inside?
btownbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Did the foam come out of Grid Irons and go into City Blocks or I beams?

And if you did bake the tires off with the foam inside, you've dehydrated the oil from them (because they are made of rubber) causing them to shrink.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cut the tire open and pull the foam out before baking/boiling.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
TIX
Tech Master

The foams were fine before. I'm not changing tread pattern

the foams were in the tire when I baked them.

This is the first time I have baked off AKA tires. I've never had a problem with other brand foams

it there a way to swell the foams out?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think it's because AKA foams are still very unique. They seem like ground up foam-rubber, almost like foam onroad tires. As was stated before, the oils in the rubber would have dried out. I doubt you can effectively re-hydrate them.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I used to put Pro-Line (and other brands) foams in the microwave to get rid of all the creases and folds. I learned REALLY fast that you can't do that with an AKA foam. It's foam rubber and it putting it in a microwave is not a good idea. LOL The point is, just because you've done it before with an insert made of other material doesn't mean you can do it with these. One thing I know for sure is they're the best performing, longest lasting, most consistent foam inserts RC has ever seen... on the race track. If that means you can't bake them in the oven with your old tires, well, I think I'll find another way to get them out of the tires. Like others have said, just cut them out of the tire first and you should be fine.

I've heard of other people putting them in a bucket with acetone on top of something to suspend them above the fluid. Apparently the vapor of the acetone will debond the glue if your cover the bucket and leave the tires in there overnight.

Last edited by SteveP; 12-02-2009 at 11:12 AM.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I used to put Pro-Line (and other brands) foams in the microwave to get rid of all the creases and folds. I learned REALLY fast that you can't do that with an AKA foam. It's foam rubber and it putting it in a microwave is not a good idea. LOL The point is, just because you've done it before with an insert made of other material doesn't mean you can do it with these. One thing I know for sure is they're the best performing, longest lasting, most consistent foam inserts RC has ever seen... on the race track. If that means you can't bake them in the oven with your old tires, well, I think I'll find another way to get them out of the tires. Like others have said, just cut them out of the tire first and you should be fine.

I've heard of other people putting them in a bucket with acetone on top of something to suspend them above the fluid. Apparently the vapor of the acetone will debond the glue if your cover the bucket and leave the tires in there overnight.
For AKA's, I would remove the foams first by cutting the wore out tire. I then submerge the wheels in acetone.
rfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
this what i do. if you just want to save the foams, then cut the tire along the center pull out the foam, then you can submerge the wheel and left over tire in acetone.

if you need to save the tire and the foam, then suspend them above acetone, and let the fumes do the work. takes a couple days, but works perfect.

im actually in the process of this now. one of the foams broke in a good set of tires. so i suspend them above the acetone with a block of wood. in a couple days they will be ready to seperate, new foams, reglue and its all better!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
this what i do. if you just want to save the foams, then cut the tire along the center pull out the foam, then you can submerge the wheel and left over tire in acetone.

if you need to save the tire and the foam, then suspend them above acetone, and let the fumes do the work. takes a couple days, but works perfect.

im actually in the process of this now. one of the foams broke in a good set of tires. so i suspend them above the acetone with a block of wood. in a couple days they will be ready to seperate, new foams, reglue and its all better!

X2 exactly how i get down.

SO what did we learn form this thread......DO Not BAKE AKA foams....hey you learn something new EVERY day.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #12
TIX
Tech Master

i was trying to save the tires

i love aka foams but boiling them off takes way to long if you want to save the tire

Old 12-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Amoeba Send a message via MSN to Amoeba Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba

Quote:

i love aka foams but boiling them off takes way to long if you want to save the tire
There was a vid post on either neobuggy or redrc where Hara showed a method to test different inserts and removing the foams by cutting the tire along the wheel, inserting new foams, and reglueing the cut tire.

Ah, found it: http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...&keywords=hara

Do Not Taunt Happy-Fun Ball
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:

The only way and its a pain in the butt, is to cut the tire right in the center of the tread and remove the insert. However gluing them back to gether for most is more of a pain.

It comes down to money vs. time....

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote