R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Spoke Wheels or Dish Wheels (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/348419-spoke-wheels-dish-wheels.html)

dnebout 12-01-2009 10:42 PM

Spoke Wheels or Dish Wheels

Are spoked wheels just for looks or is there a weight advantage? Should they only be used in dry conditions? Any input is welcome.

yuppi1 12-02-2009 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by dnebout (Post 6666583)
Are spoked wheels just for looks or is there a weight advantage? Should they only be used in dry conditions? Any input is welcome.

good question
i am after the same answer

Gizmatron 12-02-2009 12:45 AM

I think the main difference is stiffness..dish wheels are more rigid but tend to trap mud inside while the spokes twist a bit more but clear out the mud..never weighed any of mine to see if there is any difference,but I would guess it's minimal..I run both fairly randomly.probably got more proline V2 and V3 dish wheels than anything else and I don't run in mud very often so it's not an issue for me.maybe save some spoked wheels for wet muddy track days...

That said looking at some of my spoked wheels the spokes have a definite curve to them after a seasons racing so the engine power is effectively twisting the hub inside the rim..can't be good for the wheels integrity.

Funking-Awesome 12-02-2009 01:16 AM

Spokes crack often. Dish doesn't.

Nilks 12-02-2009 01:26 AM

I used to run DLD tires with the spokes-rims - but they cracked to often. So as soon as DLD launched their dish-wheels, I switched. Haven't looked back since :P

Frank L 12-02-2009 06:22 AM

I run spoke wheels onthe summer only because they come in gunmetal color and I like them on the buggy. If they made dish wheels in gunmetal I would run them. Personally I don't think it matters bet the spokes do add a little to the visual kist something to make you a little different from the pack. I haven't noticed any performance differences they both work well.

Racecrafter 12-02-2009 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dnebout (Post 6666583)

Dish wheels have the advantage in strength and durability.

Show871 12-02-2009 07:59 AM

My buddy uses spokes, I have dish and it seems I can see my cars footprint alot better, because of the solid wheel, on the far back of the track

wallot 12-02-2009 08:08 AM

dish as they are stronger
seen to many rocks and stuff getting stuck in spoke wheels

dnebout 12-02-2009 09:26 AM

I would think the spoke wheel would not be good on a wet (muddy) track because the spokes would tend to hold more dirt.

I do agree that the spoke wheels probably twist more, which isn't good. Less of a tight feel and earlier failures.

The lesser weight of a spoke wheel has to be pretty significant. On the another one of my threads i started last night, some guy posted a video from proline and said that the rotational mass of a VTR wheel combination was 1 pound lighter than the LPR combination. That in itself is alot of weight savings. I wonder how much more weight you could save with the spoked rims?

Integra 12-02-2009 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Funking-Awesome (Post 6666948)
Spokes crack often. Dish doesn't.

:nod:

dnebout 12-02-2009 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6668839)
:nod:

What did it take to become Tech Champion. Is there a list available on what it takes to move up the chain in this forum?

fatdaddy 12-02-2009 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by dnebout (Post 6669041)
What did it take to become Tech Champion. Is there a list available on what it takes to move up the chain in this forum?

lots and lots of posts: http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-tech...t-ranking.html

smokinu 12-02-2009 01:41 PM

haha you have to have over 3000 posts to get tech champ.

dnebout 12-02-2009 02:42 PM

Holy Smoky. I graduated to tech Initiate. This call for a couple of cocktails tonight. Any excuse is good enough for me! Thanks for the info:D