Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Does RTR mean Ready to "Race" or would I be wasting my time? >

Does RTR mean Ready to "Race" or would I be wasting my time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does RTR mean Ready to "Race" or would I be wasting my time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Does RTR mean Ready to "Race" or would I be wasting my time?

Hey guys, I recently picked up a RTR RC8T and have just been cruising around on this little track I set up on sections of a motocross track. I know thats not really anything like what a real RC track is like but it was all I had to work with. Well since then I moved to FL and there are a couple local tracks and I was wondering if I would be wasting my time trying to race a RTR truck or not? What could I do to my RC8T to make it "race ready" if its not already?

Keep in mind, I'm not serious about this and just wanna go out and have some fun at some local hobby shop races and not break the bank doing it but at the same time I wanna at least be competitive too.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Initiate

You will be fine, just get some racing tires, find out at your local track what works.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

That rtr is the only one other than the losi that I would consider race worthy. The rtr engine won't be the fastest on the track but you will be able to compete. The engine will be the 1st thing you will want to replace after racing a few. You might bend a shock shaft sooner than the pro kit but you will hVe fun and get around the track just fine.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Lord

It would be wise to ask the shop if the RTR car you want is legal to race.

RTR means Ready To Run and most of the time that is a car with pre-painted body, radio, tires and and engine. Batteries, fuel, tools, ignitor and spareparts are not included.

When buying a car you have to run-in the engine, that can take 1 or 2 liter of fuel before you can drive with maximum power.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

He's talking about the truggy it comes with a .28 which is legal in the truggy class. +1 on the tires see what works atthe track you want to run on. Teuggy tires are pricy but that is the easiest tuning tool you can use.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Addict

i would say the first thing i would change would be the steering servo to a higher torque servo
Old 11-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

You'll probably want to change the shock bodies, assuming they're the same plastic ones on the electric truggy. Other than that, the truck is pretty dialed.

Same comment on the steering servo tho. If you want to stick with AE, go with the 1015. Otherwise, I highly recommend the hitec 7955TG.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

just race it maintain it but don't dump a lot in to it right off
if you like racing save up and get a race kit things like servos
radio are a good up grade and you can put them in you next car
have fun with it find out if you like racing or not then go for it
Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You have a pretty good set up as is. It's set up the same way my SC8 was and I managed to win a few races with it. The things I would change are the servo's but if money is tight just change the throttle first bc it's slow, weak, and cheap $19. I use a Hitec HS 965 mg throttle and JR 9100T steering. Also save your money I spent a lot money trying to replace the stock motor and what I found was it only needs a new pipe. I put a JP-2 on that thing and it really came alive, and I got 7.5 min run times. Also change your diffs I think it comes 7F7C7R I would try 7F10C3R.

Last edited by Eagle7; 11-30-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I used this truck this weekend with sucsess. I won the sportsman calss by 22 seconds. all i changed was a hitec 7955 steering servo, and the hot tires for the track. the truck does have a noticeable push but i would worry about getting consistant lap times before modding. the only problem is the .28 motor, its a gas HOG, had to pit every 6 min. This truck is Ready to Race.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eagle7
Also change your diffs I think it comes 10F10C10R I would try 7F10C3R.
How do I change this??
Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxnickj
How do I change this??
Squirrel has a pretty good video overview on diff maintenance here. The stock RC8T comes 7-7-7 out of the box. I'd strongly recommend you run with that for a while before changing anything. Get used to driving the car first and take note of what things you wish it didn't do (like on/off power steering push) before you start making modifications. You could easily copy a Pro setup and do fine but it won't exactly match *your* driving style, skill, and track surface.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The steering servo probably won't live long under race conditions, and there are a few things that aren't as good as the "pro kit..." but overall, you have a raceworthy truck. Go for it!

As for what folks say about the engine... you don't need the most power you can get when you are starting out... in fact, it will hinder you. Stick with the RTR engine until it dies. Worry about the servos first, and maybe shocks second.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Personally, I say to race a couple times before you do anything at all to the truck. Get a feel for what you need to upgrade, if anything. If you're still bouncing off the walls, the LAST thing you need is a stronger engine, or to go changing diffs and shock setup just to have the thing be a different truck each time you drive it. Just keep a few bucks in your pocket in case you need to buy a factory team shock tower when the stock one bends, or if you break the steering servo, etc.

I'll bet the first thing you change will be tires and steering servo. Tires will almost be necessary, but if your track has good traction and you drive like everyone I've ever seen go to a track for the first time (even if you have a lot of practice otherwise), nothing will be a better upgrade than some track time.

Heck, I've been racing for several years now, on and off, and still find myself wishing I hadn't wasted time on setup and just drove the truck while working on hitting the fast lines and getting more consistent.

-Eric
Old 12-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Frank L
He's talking about the truggy it comes with a .28 which is legal in the truggy class. +1 on the tires see what works atthe track you want to run on. Teuggy tires are pricy but that is the easiest tuning tool you can use.
I put proline VTR calibers on my losi 8ight t 1.0 rtr and lost 4oz. of weight!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.