Wiki Posts
Search

sleeve resize tooling options

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default sleeve resize tooling options

guys is there a alternative to the rayaracing tooling? his tooling looks and works fantastic but is just too expensive.
in the market for some tooling and want to see what else is available,i own a small lathe and milling machine so if i could find the time i probably will try to turn a set of inner and outer dies,just dont know if there is a standard size (or tolerances,taper degree,headbutton id, piston at bottom sleeve clearance etc..)specific for a .21 novarossi.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Tech Lord

Just look arround on Ebay, several simple screwable clamps are offered for a few bucks. They are not the fancy ones and not that precise but they do the job.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Do not purchase those cheap screw types, as all you will do is end up with a sleeve that is out of round.

Any of your nice resizing tools are going to be expensive. But in return they do a good job on your engines.

I have the BMR Racing tool at my shop. It cost in the 400 plus range but is really nice and portable. Several of the top racers in the world use it.

good luck!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

i agree i would never use the clamp type.
i want to be able control the correct id taper as well as the od uniformity using both inside and out tooling,
can i get more info on your bmr tooling?
i like that it is portable.
thanks.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Those clamps are nothing more than a seat clamp for a bicycle.

I had made up a few sleeves just a few tenths larger than the sleeve, so they stayed round when squeezed. I also used Deltronic gauges to check the bore after I had pinched them.

In my opinion, pinching the sleeve works, but it's just a band-aid over the wound.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you can turn steel on your lathe here is a project I have been working on.

All pieces have been rough cut and simply test fit in these photo to prove the concept.

The above tool is made to remove the press from the pinching process. It uses a screw to apply the force to the die and sleeve holder for the pinching process.

The screw was designed to be a self centering piece to both the dye and sleeve so you will get a uniform pinch around the entire sleeve.

I have not completed the other parts of the project as the only thing I have for motors are 21's and 28's but with the addition of a different sleeve carrier and collets and sleeve bushings you would be able to pinch any size sleeve you want.

The tool works by loading the sleeve into the sleeve carrier with different sized collets.
The collets rest against the sleeve carrier so no force is applied to the bottom of the sleeve which could damage it.
The screw passes through the center of the sleeve carrier and sleeve. It has a bushing installed over it, which goes on the inside of the sleeve, to help hold the sleeve true to the center line of the carrier, screw and upper die.
The sleeve carrier is then attached to the screw via a nut and washer.
The screw then passes through the die with a nut and washer attached to the top of it.
You will notice a big lip on the screw. This is made to mate the screw to the die which holds it true to the center line of the two pieces. When the die screw is turned it pushes the die down over the sleeve carrier and compresses the collets, pinching your sleeve.

The only change that I need to make to my design is a marked degree wheel on the face of the die.

Hope that gives you some idea of how I went about making the tools, that I couldnt afford either!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

awesome thanks NeoNot!
exactly what i was looking for
Old 11-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TonyEdge540? Anyone know this guy?

Originally Posted by helivaguy
guys is there a alternative to the rayaracing tooling? his tooling looks and works fantastic but is just too expensive.
in the market for some tooling and want to see what else is available,i own a small lathe and milling machine so if i could find the time i probably will try to turn a set of inner and outer dies,just dont know if there is a standard size (or tolerances,taper degree,headbutton id, piston at bottom sleeve clearance etc..)specific for a .21 novarossi.
He has a video on youtube a 3 part series in sleeve resizing. It looks similiar to RayA's stuff. He also mentioned that he can replace rod bushings. Anyone have any contact info?