R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   prep tires? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/347003-prep-tires.html)

slayyer 11-26-2009 07:05 AM

prep tires?

how does everyone prep your tires? ive seen people dremal them, ive seen people just use alcohol, and also i read in an rc magazine that you shouldn't do ANYTHING at all to them! please let me know your opinion and why you use that method. i dremal them now but as of now, who knows whats best!

rocketman95h 11-26-2009 07:07 AM

I just clean with electric motor cleaner,and then glue.

Trey7 11-26-2009 07:33 AM

I use VP-Pro wheels and tires and all I do is glue them, no cleaning. I have not had a single tire come unglued yet, I haven't even had to touch them up yet and I have been running them all year

slayyer 11-26-2009 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Trey7 (Post 6645702)
I use VP-Pro wheels and tires and all I do is glue them, no cleaning. I have not had a single tire come unglued yet, I haven't even had to touch them up yet and I have been running them all year

dang! wish i could do that! i run jconcepts and i dont know if im glueing them wrong or i need to prep them more but they are always unglueing.

jamiekerr14 11-26-2009 07:50 AM

I dont race as oftern as most do once maybe twice a month.. practice 2 times a month weather permitting..so only get a set or 2 a month-Depending on weather in UK lol..

My prep is:
For AKA Rubber

1.Lightly scuff bead with dremel-not much needed
2.Light scuff bead of rim-Ideally AKA
3.Was both with motor spray or soap-whichever is easily avaliable.
4.Dry thoroughly-Specially inside of tyre!in webbing
5.Insert foam into tyre-Ideally AKA work the foam in with hands
6.Put foam and tyre onto rim and work in again so its sitting correctly..
7.Then Glue with Proline Med Glue+Panter Bands- Let fry for 1hr then do to other sides then done-And recheck for any missed spots.
8. Repeat for other side- leave for a hour and check bead

For Proline rubber-Same about but remove all flashing's from tyre bead-which aka dosnt have!

I do mine at home, and not at the track so mine takes little longer then most but I havnt had any come loose as of yet. That's my prep/routine for gluing mine. I generally run AKA Tyres and rims, as I balance all my sets. And aka are always better balanced stock than proline which can sometimes be amazingly out of balance.. hope this helps

Trey7 11-26-2009 08:01 AM

It took me a while to get a good glue method down but so far what I have been doing this year has worked perfectly, unfortunatly I have been gluing tires for other racer as well. All I do is first I run med ca glue to seat the tire to the rim and let it dry and then recheck for some missed spots and touch them up, after that is done I run some thin ca around the out side beads and let them dry over night, then I balance them, the next day at the race I run them and then recheck the balance. I think the balancing has a lot to do with the tires holding together better and longer, but also giving the glue enough time to cure.

Alan D. 11-26-2009 08:07 AM

I always clean the bead with alcohol. If I can see some kind of thick residue then I hit the bead with a dremel and then finish up with alcohol.

I think the biggest reason rims come unglued is because of the glue used.
AKA, Proline medium, Ofna thin all works great. You can glue up a set of tires in ten minuets with Ofn thin:D

jrwoodchuck 11-26-2009 08:18 AM

I get made fun of because of this, but I take my tires in the shower with me. I'm missing my left hand so it's easer for me to do this. But I start with soaping up my left arm, then stick the my arm threw the tire up to it's tight on my arm, then I spin the tire a few revolutions. This gets the glueing area very clean. I then shake them off and throw them in the sink to dry. At that time I can take the rest of my shower. I don't do anything with the rims, and I use "Bob Smith" thin CA, I've never had a tire come off.

btw, I let my tires cure for at least 12 hours before using them.

323 R/C Racing 11-26-2009 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck (Post 6645857)
I get made fun of because of this, but I take my tires in the shower with me. I'm missing my left hand so it's easer for me to do this. But I start with soaping up my left arm, then stick the my arm threw the tire up to it's tight on my arm, then I spin the tire a few revolutions. This gets the glueing area very clean. I then shake them off and throw them in the sink to dry. At that time I can take the rest of my shower. I don't do anything with the rims, and I use "Bob Smith" thin CA, I've never had a tire come off.

btw, I let my tires cure for at least 12 hours before using them.

My old lady will think i lost my lid if i start taking my tire bag to the shower with me.

Bren Ralls 11-26-2009 10:16 AM

I would not even confess to it :weird:

Bren Ralls 11-26-2009 10:28 AM

Having raced for near 25 years you find your methd & stick with it . Some dremel tyre & wheel, but have also read some glue maufacturers recomend & clean flat un dremeled surface to get a perfect bond. I am lucky to run proline as they support & sponsor me but they require prep work to remove releasing agent & beads that are on some tyre's.
I just use methalated spirits to degrease & remove agent from tyres, you will be suprised what comes off, then just mount & glue. There are many good glues, i use muchmore now but have used norsam, ok bond & GRP in the past . All work well just use a thin type as it speeds up glueing

Racecrafter 11-26-2009 10:37 AM

AKA's....

1: Remove from packages

2: Remove top from AKA glue bottle

3: Cut glue straw to 10mm length and insert 1/2 way into bottle tip

4: Insert wheel into tire and set beads

5: Glue inside tire bead and wipe off excess

6: Turn over and glue outside tire bead and let dry

Other brands? You are on your own...... :D

H9_nutter 11-26-2009 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bren Ralls (Post 6646249)
Having raced for near 25 years you find your methd & stick with it . Some dremel tyre & wheel, but have also read some glue maufacturers recomend & clean flat un dremeled surface to get a perfect bond. I am lucky to run proline as they support & sponsor me but they require prep work to remove releasing agent & beads that are on some tyre's.
I just use methalated spirits to degrease & remove agent from tyres, you will be suprised what comes off, then just mount & glue. There are many good glues, i use muchmore now but have used norsam, ok bond & GRP in the past . All work well just use a thin type as it speeds up glueing

+1 Clean tire after fitting foam and the rim with metho fit tire and glue with locktite. Never failed yet.:tire:

Black 11-26-2009 08:23 PM

Garrett I will be more than happy to show you my exact method for mounting tires this weekend. Bring everything not mounted and I will do a set for you.

Marcus

Frank L 11-26-2009 09:42 PM

I like to scuff the rim with 200-300 grit sand paper and wipe the tire clean with motor cleaner. Then insert the foam in the tire and tire on the rim. My bigest prob is I like to use too much glue. Idk why but makes me feel better I guess. Then apply the tire bands and let cure 24 hours.