R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

to many amps at charging maybe. I heard somewere to use 1 amp per 1000 mah. thats what i have been going by and A ok.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #107
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

[QUOTE=guss2009;8011581]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I can assume you are balancing the packs as well ? Yes

How many cycle's did you get before they got hot and puffed ? It was a brand new battery adn only did it once.

Were you trying to start a tight stubborn motor ? No... I can turn on the engine with a 12v battery. I just wanna use lipo since is lighter to carry the box.

are you sure that the starter box has been checked out as working normal ? The box is new and work fine.

well i honestly dont know what to tell you, If the box is spinning free and you can start it with a 12v then it has nothing to do with the box but rather the packs alone, But you say you puffed 2 packs already ?

How many start's did you get before you noticed a problem ?

I can assume you charged the packs before using right ?

Im going to recommend one of these for future protection, there 6-8$ and well worth it, Just plug it in at the beginning of the day and unplug at the end when you unplug the lipo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maxpro-Battery-M...item2a04ae1b37
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #108
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 265 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Integra;8012155]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guss2009 View Post

well i honestly dont know what to tell you, If the box is spinning free and you can start it with a 12v then it has nothing to do with the box but rather the packs alone, But you say you puffed 2 packs already ?yes. The losi lipo was brand new and i used it without charging it. So it puffed up. The light blue lipo i charged it and it still puffed up. I charge it the correct way.

How many start's did you get before you noticed a problem ? I started the car 2 or 3 times to go for a run and the first time i started the car i notice it was getting hot. So i unplugged it because i knew something was wrong. It kool off and then i used it the second time and it started to get hot again and puff. The puff never when down so i try using it the third time and it got bigger so i thru it away and it poped.

I can assume you charged the packs before using right ? Not the first lipo but the second i did.

Im going to recommend one of these for future protection, there 6-8$ and well worth it, Just plug it in at the beginning of the day and unplug at the end when you unplug the lipo.I have 1 of these for my next lipo. Can you give me a link for a lipo battery i should get? Im looking for a cheap one in price. Maybe its the cheap battery i should stop buying but i dont wanna spend 80 to mess it up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maxpro-Battery-M...item2a04ae1b37
guss2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #109
Tech Lord

I Run cheap Zippy's in my 1/8E and cheap Ebay Rx packs with Zero issues, So i can almost guarantee its not the packs.

Anything along these lines will work just fine.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11912
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 10-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #110
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Nick you truly are the eBay king.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #111
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Nick you truly are the eBay king.

you know it buddy.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #112
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Anyone else have problems with the 2 metal pieces that the spring makes contact with to start the box? 2 little gold pieces that the wiring is screwed too. A piece of mine apparently burned off
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #113
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Incorrect, standard electrical motor's we use in our boxes are rated for 18V, so therefor a 16.8v 4S will do nothing to the motor's, 18V motor's on the other hand might try and suck a little too much juice from your 3S and hurt the cell's....who told you 3S was proper ?
Just to clarify here that the lower voltage rating of the battery has nothing to do with it being improper for the higher voltage rating of the motor (and vice versa). For example, a motor rated for 18volts means just that, that it can handle up to 18 volts without any risk of frying itself... If you use a lower voltage source (be it battery, powersupply or any other) nothing will happen to the motor, it will just turn slower or might not even turn at all if the voltage is too low.
Same thing with the battery, you can use a 3s that delivers less voltage than the rated voltage of the motor, and the motor will just turn slower, it might not have enough "juice" for turning the higher compression motors, but it will work fine on average motors. The only thing to watch for really is the discharge rating for the battery, the higher the better (and that applies for 3s and 4s as well)... I'm sure that a lot in here could attest that for a 4,000+ mah battery anything with 20c discharge rate or more is safe... If the battery is smaller, say it has 2000 mah, it would have to have at least a 40c discharge rate to achieve the same amperage discharging capacity of the 4000mah 20c batt. So using a 2000mah with 20c discharge would have a higher risk of getting damaged than a 2000mah with 40c, and that's independent of the battery voltage.

Also I remember reading a few post backs that someone in here says that a lipo with 8c rating works for him... that's true it will work... but there may be a risk with using such a low c rating battery and that would be that the lipo might get too hot and get damaged, specially when you run into situations where the starter motor gets stuck (while trying to turn a high compression engine for example), in those cases the starter motor draws way more amps... (if its ever happened to you you can actually hear the motor pulling the amps while trying to turn).

Anyway its just my feeling here saying that but to be 100% sure you'd have to hook an amp analizer to see how much amps the starter box is pulling under different conditions... actually would be quite interesting to see...
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #114
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Other boxes

Ok I have done a lot of testing with boxes and have found my favorite box is the XTM. Two reasons I love this box are it uses the much larger 12v motor. And it uses an automotive switch. No washers here to make contact. I found this box to be the most reliable I have ever used.

I have experienced many of the issues mentioned in this thread. Puffy packs, over discharged packs and melt downs.

Here is what I have learned.

Cheap packs work just as well as expensive packs for me.
I like a minimum of 15c packs (just in case a new motor hangs)
A low voltage warning device is a must have.

So here is my question to the community. I would like to find a cut off device. The warning is nice but it doesn't stop the over-discharge if you are on the box trying to start when the horn goes off....

So where do you get a 4S cut off device to use in a starter box?

I have searched and found nothing... Would love input.

Hitman

USAF Retired
No One Comes Close!!!!
hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #115
Tech Lord

the lipo monitor i posted will not let you beat the pack up to a point of damage.