Wiki Posts
Search

Acer bearing "kits"

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Acer bearing "kits"

After talking with a few more experienced racers I have discovered a common denominator to both success and longevity with ones car is replace all of the bearings frequently. The cost of the bearings ($1 ea.) +/- doesn't seem like a huge investment yet when I went to look at Acer bearings, a set for my buggy was $90.

I'm no expert but I'm certain there aren't 90 bearings in my car. (RC8B) In fact, I'm certain there are not 45 ($2 ea.) bearings in my car. So is it worth it to find cheap bearings to replace more often? How often should I replace all of the bearings? What are some bearing alternatives?

It just seems that if I need to throw down $100 more per month to race, I'm either going to race less or not change my bearings as often.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Prophet

no u dont need to replace your bearings frently as long as there smooth your fine or just after every run get a air compresser and blast the dirt off ,its really just a personal thing my last long in my 1/8 nitro buggy as long as i dont run in the mud or something ,or il just clean them lube them up
Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by tc5 man
no u dont need to replace your bearings frently as long as there smooth your fine or just after every run get a air compresser and blast the dirt off ,its really just a personal thing my last long in my 1/8 nitro buggy as long as i dont run in the mud or something ,or il just clean them lube them up

how often i would say after a gallon in a half or two but if they are still smooth why change them or just take the seal off and lube them up
Old 11-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

how often i would say after a gallon in a half or two but if they are still smooth why change them or just take the seal off and lube them up

Now your Quoting yourself 30 seconds later....

Originally Posted by GSMike
After talking with a few more experienced racers I have discovered a common denominator to both success and longevity with ones car is replace all of the bearings frequently. The cost of the bearings ($1 ea.) +/- doesn't seem like a huge investment yet when I went to look at Acer bearings, a set for my buggy was $90.

I'm no expert but I'm certain there aren't 90 bearings in my car. (RC8B) In fact, I'm certain there are not 45 ($2 ea.) bearings in my car. So is it worth it to find cheap bearings to replace more often? How often should I replace all of the bearings? What are some bearing alternatives?

It just seems that if I need to throw down $100 more per month to race, I'm either going to race less or not change my bearings as often.

Thanks for your help.

1$ bearing's are your best bet....most will agree....wheel bearings and diff bearing's see the most abuse beside the clutch and require replacing when they get gritty.....if you seize them up and not know about it you'll be wearing steel on steel and actually do some damage to the Axle stubs if not taken care of....the Expensive kits imo aren't worth it....In some places they are better but for for the $$ imo they aren't.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great timing for this thread, as I was about to ask the question.

Am I beter of with something like these and replace often?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
or
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Or something more along these lines?
http://www.acerracing.com/ball_beari...t-1047-62.html

Or can you guys point me in a better direction?
Old 11-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Prophet

advanage bearings seem pretty good i use them in my losi eight 1.0b
dont know if they make them for the xray buggy they sell them at www.caralinasrc.com . as for clutch bearings i use a advange inner cermanic bearing and a tko high rpm clutch bearing they are pretty good there also at carolinarc
Old 11-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Prophet

its carolinas r/c .com sorry about that
Old 11-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi guys,

well i have a different opinion on this subject as i run Boca's on my MP9, they are 120 dollars a kit but i think its worth each and every penny, before boca's i ran the stock metal shield ones, they had to be cleaned after each and every day on the track, and many where no good to reuse, i then bought ultimate racing bearings, a 40 dollars kit (rubber sealed) good quality and lasts a bit longer with proper maintenance. finally i bought the boca Kit (ceramic rubber sealed) those so far are the best bearings kits i've ever used. after many weeks on the track: races, practice and breaking-in, they are still smooth and run freely as new ones, but before major races, i take them all out, remove the seals with a hobby knife, put them in gasoline, clean them with an air compressor, relube them and VOILA, you got yourself a new bearing kit again. just my 2 cents.

cheers

Ali
Old 11-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
Hi guys,

well i have a different opinion on this subject as i run Boca's on my MP9, they are 120 dollars a kit but i think its worth each and every penny, before boca's i ran the stock metal shield ones, they had to be cleaned after each and every day on the track, and many where no good to reuse, i then bought ultimate racing bearings, a 40 dollars kit (rubber sealed) good quality and lasts a bit longer with proper maintenance. finally i bought the boca Kit (ceramic rubber sealed) those so far are the best bearings kits i've ever used. after many weeks on the track: races, practice and breaking-in, they are still smooth and run freely as new ones, but before major races, i take them all out, remove the seals with a hobby knife, put them in gasoline, clean them with an air compressor, relube them and VOILA, you got yourself a new bearing kit again. just my 2 cents.

cheers

Ali
I dont mind this idea, What lubricant do you use?
When cleaning old bearings in my fishing reels, I would remove the bearing, sit it on a teaspoon and hold it over a candle, to "boil" the old grease and oil out. then relube with sewing machine oil.
Is this the type of oil you use?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hello,

well the gasoline will remove the old oil/lube and also clean the bearings from small particals (sorry for the spelling) and dirt. you won't need the heating method you use again.
fill a small bucket with gasoline, remove the rubber seal, put all the bearings inside, start moving the bearings inside with a screw driver or whatever tool , take them out, let them sit few minutes on a towel, then clean them with air, if they aren't smooth, repeat once again. make sure you also clean the rubber seals also as dirt will stick on the inside of the seal. just dip them in the gasoline and wipe them with the towel, be carefull not to bend them.

i use bearing oil sold at any hobby shop. i dont know about the sewing machine oil as i've never used it.

cheers

Ali