R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Does Nitro gas expire? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/345676-does-nitro-gas-expire.html)

Firewind 11-20-2009 10:11 PM

Does Nitro gas expire?

Most likely a really noob question to ask, but I assume all Nitro gas can expire over time just like regular gas can. But I wanted to make sure I asked before I tossed a way a half a gallon of gas.

It's TopFuel 20% mix from 2003.

Sorry if this is a pretty basic question, this is my first Nitro truck.

tc5 man 11-20-2009 10:24 PM

i think but im not sure if u take the red cap off a gallon or a quart and get the air out and have it in a room temp in a dark storage closet it can last for about a year i would think but once a mouth or so shake the fuel up

tc5 man 11-20-2009 10:25 PM

but i think from 2003 u might what to get rid of that

tom2tone 11-20-2009 10:26 PM

depends on how it was stored, you typically want to keep it at room temp. Off of the floor (if in the basement etc.) and the cap tightly on. But I would definitely throw that fuel away. Make sure you throw it away properly.

Bigedmond 11-20-2009 11:15 PM

Nitro Fuel most definitely goes bad. With from that is 6 year old, just buy a new gallon, and not worry about it.

Racecrafter 11-21-2009 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 6625633)
Most likely a really noob question to ask, but I assume all Nitro gas can expire over time just like regular gas can. But I wanted to make sure I asked before I tossed a way a half a gallon of gas.

It's TopFuel 20% mix from 2003.

Sorry if this is a pretty basic question, this is my first Nitro truck.

It's history!

If it's in a cool dark place I'd still say one year or less tops especially if it has been opened.

Amoeba 11-21-2009 12:30 PM

Ditto what others have said.

The problem isn't that Nitro fuel "goes bad"* but that once you break the seal eventually moisture will work its way in and ruin the fuel. If you have some way of vacuum sealing a fuel container it will extend the time you can store it.

* aside from separation of the oil/nitro etc. Shake well before using.

Frank L 11-21-2009 01:32 PM

6 years is a little much to ask for shelf life. I bet if you pit that stuff through your engine it will not tune at all if it fires and you wI'll end up tearing down the engine and cleaning all the internal parts. I like to go with 6 months personally but I agree if it is stored properly 1 yr should be no prob. I store my fuel in the pantry inside (my wife loves it haha) nitro fuel attracts water Nd outside there is a lot more particles of water in the air. Then again if I have a gallon last a month that's a long time around here.

guss2009 11-21-2009 08:13 PM

Same question i was thinking of asking. I got half gallon of 30% byron fuel i had in a closet for 1yr. Is the fuel bad or can i still use it?

89steeda 11-22-2009 05:34 AM

How about unopened fuel? I still have a brand new gallon that is 2 years old.

Frank L 11-22-2009 06:32 AM

IMO 1 year is ok. It won't be the fastest stiff on the block but stored in a closet should be ok. 2 yrs IDK I don't think I would risk it. If it's bad it could cause a lot of internal engine cleanup and then prob have to change the tank and line. Not worth it IMO.

madweazl 11-22-2009 08:20 AM

I sent this very question via email to O'donnel. They said as long as it was still sealed it would be fine well over a year. Opened, who knows. I have a gallon of 30% O'donnel that is about 4 years old now (unopened) that I'm thinking about trying just for the hell of it :lol:

rc skyline 11-22-2009 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by 89steeda (Post 6628905)
How about unopened fuel? I still have a brand new gallon that is 2 years old.

If it is a good quality fuel and has been stored in a cool and dark place it is possible that after 2 years storage it may just be ok

Some manufacurers like Meccamo and Runnertime also i beleive put nitrogeon in the bottle not air so it stays very fresh untill 1st opened, Once opened i allwase squeze out the excess air before sealing the bottle and keep it under the house where its allwase cool and dark

Dave

cyco1854 08-31-2010 11:12 AM

i have about 4 gallons of nitro that are about 15 years old.... they were never opened or touched.... they were kept in a dark ( always ) place.... can still use it?

bacchus 08-31-2010 11:32 AM

I had a quart of top fuel that was in the unclimate controlled garage for like 2 or 3 years and it ran fine. If it was a race vehicle it was going in i wouldn't have tried it but i didn't care about my basher.