Wiki Posts
Search

Does Nitro gas expire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 89steeda
How about unopened fuel? I still have a brand new gallon that is 2 years old.
Unopened you are fine. I had some tower hobbies 20% nitro i had in my basement on a shelf since the year 2001 and just used it up this summer. They packaged it in a box with newspaper. I took the paper out, read some of it (kinda interesting) and used the fuel. It ran just like the day i bought it. No tuning problems or anything. In fact i used 6 quarts of it this spring and the last quart i mixed with the new fuel i was switching to, to make the transition easier. Thats 9 year old fuel that worked like the day i bought it
Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyco1854
i have about 4 gallons of nitro that are about 15 years old.... they were never opened or touched.... they were kept in a dark ( always ) place.... can still use it?
Should be fine mine were in my basement for 9 years and worked just fine. I don't think another 6 years will make much of a difference. Give it a try and find out. Worst case scenerio is you'll have to buy new fuel and you have plenty of old fuel to start bon fires with
Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jwm2
Should be fine mine were in my basement for 9 years and worked just fine. I don't think another 6 years will make much of a difference. Give it a try and find out. Worst case scenerio is you'll have to buy new fuel and you have plenty of old fuel to start bon fires with
Best starter fluid out there haha that's what I do with my old fuel.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
old fuel can ruin an engine...... better be safe than sorry... less than 30 bucks for a new gallon or chance it and ruin a engine that will cost you a minimum off 150 to replace
Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree that, generally, 1 yr opened, 2 if not. But, it is going to vary by manufacturer, and particular batches they run. I had a gallon of Werks last about 2 years after it was opened before it went bad (I had switched brands is why it lasted so long, then ran it in another motor and it worked for about 2 tanks. . . then tanked).

I had a gallon of Byron's last less than 10mos. Stored right next to the Werks. So, there is just no real way to label an expiration date.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Unlike fossil fuel alcohol based fuel will not go bad as long as it is not contaminated by water.
Stored the right way it could theoretically stay good indefinitely. However in reality it is probably best to use the fuel within a year or two once opened.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

The longest I have stored fuel is about 6 months... With the change in technology and fuel mixtures and oils I would not store much... I like to run the latest fuel. I try to going into winter with no more than a gallon.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

fuel does not go bad. it gets contaminated by water, the methanol absorbs water from the air, in a sealed closed container, there is no reason why it should not last 10 or more years, I worked at a biodiesel plant were we had millions of gallons of methanol on site, and when it got "wet" contaminated with water, we would "dry" it by running it thru a destination tower and got it to 99.98% pure methanol. (I use to borrow gallons of this stuff, to clean my gear and cook my own nitro fuel)
Old 09-15-2010, 02:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
fuel does not go bad. it gets contaminated by water, the methanol absorbs water from the air, in a sealed closed container, there is no reason why it should not last 10 or more years, I worked at a biodiesel plant were we had millions of gallons of methanol on site, and when it got "wet" contaminated with water, we would "dry" it by running it thru a destination tower and got it to 99.98% pure methanol. (I use to borrow gallons of this stuff, to clean my gear and cook my own nitro fuel)
Yeah borrow thats the ticket.