R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default transponder in receiver box

sorry for repeating this thread. but i have an xt8 and managed to fit my transponder in the box. would this prevent signals?
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I personally haven't done this but a couple people at our track did this and had a few problems with it not counting laps. Then put it outside the box and the problem went away. I am sure some people have done it without a problem but these people did. The vehicles the transponder was in was a HB D8T, so it could be the design of the radio box and were the receiver was located in this particular vehicle. The way it the guys had it setup was putting it on the bottom of the receiver lid. This put it just above the receiver and could have been causing the problems. I am sure you could set it differently in the D8T so the transponder could work inside the radio box maybe, but the way this particular one was setup it didn't work right. I personally just run it on the outside so I can see the light is on and get my transponder # easier.

What vehicle do you have?
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

there was a test at the nitro cross in az in oct one night and they tested ae and i THINK hot bodies with the transponder in the receiver box and they had lower signel but still worked. i wouldnt chance it

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:04 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I run mine in the box on my XT8. No problems... BUT... it is BESIDE the receiver, not above it.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Default xt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
I run mine in the box on my XT8. No problems... BUT... it is BESIDE the receiver, not above it.
yeah, i have an xt8 as well. why besides it not above, i just put it by the side. no space on top anyway
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:22 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to 12a_rx2

i run my mugen with it in the radio box under the receiver.

just ran a whole state titles even last weekend and as a far as i know i didn't loose any laps due to it not registering

i normally run it outside the box but i lost the transponder mount after i switched it between cars so had to put it in the box.

was a real tight fit and and i had to squash the lid down hard and cut a tab off the battery cover for it to fit
Old 11-20-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muaythai View Post
sorry for repeating this thread. but i have an xt8 and managed to fit my transponder in the box. would this prevent signals?
I haven't had any problems, but one of the tracks I frequent, he told me my hit count was like 25, normally it would be above 80. I am moving it outside the box for this weekend. Although, I did run this way without incident since the S.I.C. back in October.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
Tech Master

I've only run mine in the receiver box, never had an issue. This was in my 808, but I think they are the same box.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:12 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by muaythai View Post
yeah, i have an xt8 as well. why besides it not above, i just put it by the side. no space on top anyway
That's just the way it fits in. Mine was done because I broke an "ear" on the transponder, so I was worried it would not stay secure. I just removed the other ears (to make it take less room) and stuck it in the box.

Being on top of the receiver could potentially interfere... (more electronics stuff in between to garble the signal) If I had to stack them I'd put the transponder on the bottom... but there is plenty of room in the XT8 box for a receiver and transponder next to each other.

I've never lost a "click" with mine in the box.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
That's just the way it fits in. Mine was done because I broke an "ear" on the transponder, so I was worried it would not stay secure. I just removed the other ears (to make it take less room) and stuck it in the box.

Being on top of the receiver could potentially interfere... (more electronics stuff in between to garble the signal) If I had to stack them I'd put the transponder on the bottom... but there is plenty of room in the XT8 box for a receiver and transponder next to each other.

I've never lost a "click" with mine in the box.
So I ran mine outside the box this weekend. My hit count reading on the AMB system went from 20 to 80. So, I guess the call is: YMMV depending on vehicle and track loop.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mine sits in my radio box of my Losi 2.0. Never an issue.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Actually, to clarify. I never had an issue with it in the box. I have raced big and small events, no one ever said mine was an issue, until this one local track, so I made the change to prevent an instance where I might not get counted this weekend.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have ran mine inside the box for the last year or so. No problems at all.
Troy Pinkston is offline   Reply With Quote