R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default OFNA Ravager

Hey there all. I picked up an OFNA Ravager this weekend for a song. It is used and needs a little love but it should be workable. The engine is the Force 28 which I have seen mixed reviews on this forum about. This is my first nitro car although i have been dabbling with electrics for a while now. I bought this to get my feet wet with nitro. (the price was right, i could not resist) My intentions are to race it as a late model conversion on an LTO dirt oval. I will also fun run on 1/8th scale off road track when time allows. There are futaba s3004 servos in it, and i know they are weak and cheap and i will replace them when i torch them.

My question(s) is. Does anyone out there own one and what should I look for as far as potential issues or pitfalls with this buggy? Weakpoints in the buggy itself, quirks and other points of concern are really what I am looking for. I am only racing this at the club level on an oval so I need not upgrade too much into ghigher end stuff. Like I said, if this nitro thing sticks, i will upgrade the car later when I am comfortable with the whole thing.

thanks in advance for the insight all!

Ben
bschanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thats a good buggy to start out. It should do what you want to do pretty well. My buddy has the Violator which is very similar to the Ravager. He's had very good luck with it. One thing you should at least look at is the front, center and rear diff's to make sure they've got silicone oil in them. His just had a dab of grease in there from the factory and he ended up burning up the front spider/bevel gears. Most tracks only let you use a .21 engine and your fuel tank is also to large. It would have to be 125cc or smaller. The Ravager has a 145cc tank.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
Thats a good buggy to start out. It should do what you want to do pretty well. My buddy has the Violator which is very similar to the Ravager. He's had very good luck with it. One thing you should at least look at is the front, center and rear diff's to make sure they've got silicone oil in them. His just had a dab of grease in there from the factory and he ended up burning up the front spider/bevel gears. Most tracks only let you use a .21 engine and your fuel tank is also to large. It would have to be 125cc or smaller. The Ravager has a 145cc tank.
Hmmm... what he said about grease in the diffs is good advice. Take them apart, wipe them down, and fill with the silicone of your choice.

That car is NOT a very good handling car, but it isn't weak or sloppy- just heavy and inexpensively made.

Get a bump box- the pull start won't live long.

I had one, and I can honestly say that it just wasn't a very good RC vehicle. A step above Redcat or something like that maybe- a tiny baby step.

The plastics are OK (not too bad on wear OR breakage) and the thin aluminum shock towers (much thinner than "race" 1/8 scale buggies) are surprisingly durable... there's nothing there that's going to be a "trouble area" but no matter what we did to mine it was a loose, evil handling SOB. Get some spare parts while you can, IF you can. If you are looking for parts, the Ravager is an OFNA 9.5- different name, same thing. That may help you find them.

SOME Jammin parts may interchange... not sure what though.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
Tech Regular

thanks for the replies guys. I know that I should fill the diffs with fluid. I am not certain what the previous owner did as far as maintenance. but the car rolls w/o power (have not even fired the engine yet) with no binding or grinding in the drivetrain. Better safe than sorry though. what recommendations have you all got for diff fluids? I read somwhere that 5k rear, 3k center and 3k front, or something like that are good.

I know this is a heavy car and is not the best quality made for racing. Truth is, I got it because the price was right and i have always wanted to try the nitro avenue of rc. I have only had 1/10th scale electric until this pickup. I think the extra weight on this thing might work to my advantage because my track is hard to hook up on. at least with my high powered brushless electrics it is.

My local club will let me run a .28 and the stock fuel tank. When I want to go elsewhere, I may need to pickup a .21 to stick in it.

anyhow, work calls, thanks for the feedback and i look forward to bouncing more questions off you nitro experts when they arise.

Ben
Old 11-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have one of the original lx pro's. for the diff's I would go fr-rr 5-7-2. You should have the 13mm shocks on it. They are very easy to tune. I would start with 40 weight oil fr and 35 rear. set ride height with the axles even and you should have a good handling car. set camber -2 in front and run 1/16th-toe out in front. Granted this is not a high end race car but for beginning should be fine and durable as hell. I put fr-rr pivot ball suspension on my lx pro along with pcr towers and just changed the springs to the stiffest ones they make,am not sure of the color. Only because the car is heavy.
bigmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I owned one of these back in the day!! You definately won't break it!! Run it in the ground!!! Bash with it!!! Etc..... Then buy something better later on. Don't bother with trying to upgrade anything.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUD View Post
I owned one of these back in the day!! You definately won't break it!! Run it in the ground!!! Bash with it!!! Etc..... Then buy something better later on. Don't bother with trying to upgrade anything.
When I said, "i will upgrade the car..." what i really meant was i will upgrade to a new, higher end car. I will only replace what I break on this car. I do not intend to sink a lot of money into it. Although, I am getting the itch to start working on it. Payday can't come soon enough.

Ben
Old 11-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschanz View Post
When I said, "i will upgrade the car..." what i really meant was i will upgrade to a new, higher end car. I will only replace what I break on this car. I do not intend to sink a lot of money into it. Although, I am getting the itch to start working on it. Payday can't come soon enough.

Ben
Yeah its tempting!! I did the same thing. Put lots of money into a starter buggy. Put some money aside and get the buggy you really like!!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUD View Post
Yeah its tempting!! I did the same thing. Put lots of money into a starter buggy. Put some money aside and get the buggy you really like!!
I bought this car as a project, it needs some odds and ends to get it into running condition. I have no intent to buy carbon fiber servo mounts or anything along those lines. I have never owned a nitro car so i bouhgt this one knowing it was going to need some work and that would force me to dig in and learn about these cars more. once I am comfortable with that, i will start putting aside some greenies to get a better car. thanks for confirming my initial thought, especially coming from a former owner. When i get into something, i tend to really get into it and this ravager in my eyes is the gateway to bigger and better nitro cars.