R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 1/8 tire for carpet

Hi guys,

During winter we run on carpet indoor track. It is basically the same carpet that onroad 1/10 and 1/12 runs. Because of nitro cars the grip isn't very good - probably because of the oil from the fuel. And the temperature is below freezing also Track is flat with some jumps - but its fun!

I woner if soneone has good advice on the tire. We know, that there's one magical tire that works on the carpet well but its impossible to get it these days. Typical tires don't work. Maybe the softest mixtures with very hard inserts would be good.

I'm planning to get some hard inserts and test Proline M3 Bows etc.

Hope to hear some advices! And it is capet, not astroturf.
lauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If it's Ozite...

M3 Proline Inside Jobs with the new "black" EVO inserts.

Ofna also makes foams (like touring car/onroad foams).
Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I would run ofna foams or rc4less foams.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

HoBao tri pattern tyres...With max traction additive.
Funking-Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Keep the info coming I found that Schumacher Minipins work for 1/10 and they are made for 1/8 also. Never tried a Schumacher tire for 1/8 before. Maybe there is something!

Old 11-20-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

get the schumacher mini pinn's, in yellow (hard) or silver (soft) compound. replace the insert with an AKA or Proline and you will have a super tire with minimal ware. We used this tire on astroturf and it's the best one. In germany they had a race on carpet and the mini pinn's were the tire of choice. Order them at shops in England (apex, je spares, etc.).
Old 11-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Lauri

Would advice the schumacher yellows, mount on v2 wheels & the replace foam insert with a moulded, proline ,aka or similar.
Grip will be immence so you will probably need to trim spikes off, for us its often on fronts 4 rows of the outer & 2 of inner & rears 3 of outer & 1 of inner. It sounds extreme to those who have not raced on this type of surface but is needed. Other tyres will feel safer but do not produce the forward traction & that is where your time is made. Give them ago full first because of fuel on the carpet but trust me you will end up trimming.

Bren
Bren Ralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:24 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Yep,

+3 for the Shumacher tyre that is "the" tyre for astroturf or carpet tracks, like brendon tells cut a few rows if traction is to high.
Also these tyre's will last you a very long time, i realy like the tourex foams in them.

succes with them
Old 11-21-2009, 03:43 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Schumacher minipins for sure. The only tire that REALLY works.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Nice to hear this about Schumi minipins! Fortunately we do have a Schumacher importer here so I will probably be able to order them through him.

BTW - a nice tyre for carpet has been Medial Pro Crystal but as far as I know they don't produce them at the moment. I got my hands on few sets. The Crystal has very strange flower-like thread pattern but works fantasticly. Has some nice predictable sideways slide to it (like foam) and just enough of grip. Good grip without grip-roll problems...

Now I think M3 Bowties work also but stock wheels and inserts are way too soft. With hard inserts and stiffer wheels M3 Bows might work really well - haven't yet had time to test them like that.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
Tech Elite

If those Schumachers work, try Panther Stingers or Losi taper-pins.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
Nice to hear this about Schumi minipins! Fortunately we do have a Schumacher importer here so I will probably be able to order them through him.

BTW - a nice tyre for carpet has been Medial Pro Crystal but as far as I know they don't produce them at the moment. I got my hands on few sets. The Crystal has very strange flower-like thread pattern but works fantasticly. Has some nice predictable sideways slide to it (like foam) and just enough of grip. Good grip without grip-roll problems...

Now I think M3 Bowties work also but stock wheels and inserts are way too soft. With hard inserts and stiffer wheels M3 Bows might work really well - haven't yet had time to test them like that.
Medial pro crystal was used 5 years ago, they wont stand a change against a car equipted with schumacher minipins.
The only tyre that also works is the Tourex X100 minipin or the X300 but only the "syntrac" compound, this compound is speciley devolped for syntatic underground, this will give you a slight without grip roll.
But believe me the Schumacher minipin is the way to go, if grip is to much just cut away some row off pins untill the griprolls stop.
Also play with your roll center on the car in the rear, rear toe in, rideheigth etc.

What car do you drive ?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
Tech Elite

^ Just to clarify I think a little was lost in translation.

I believe poster was trying to state the tire compound was developed for "synthetic" ground; IE Astroturf/carpet; etc.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice

I drive Xray XB808 buggy 10 races this summer and all with top 3 finishes (except European Championships ) - so no DNF with Xray cars! Only breakage was front anti-rollbar

Our winter track is indoors so I run XB808 converted to electric (Tekin RX8 + T8). Don't want to inhale the nitro fuems. Have done it for one winter season and that's enough for me. Back to nitro buggy for summer to attend bigger races.

Those Crystals worked like a charm on our track. We didn't have any Schumacher Minipins to compare. But Crystals were very-very good. Fortunately I got some new sets of Crystals Also new JC stiff inserts to test and will get few sets of Schumacher Minipins also.

I have no idea where to get those Tourex tires. Can you recommend some places with online ordering?

I will try to test the tires next friday... Once again, thank you for all the information.