R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 48
Default how to remove stripped screws

Hiya,

I just received my used Hyper 8, but many of the underside countersunk hex screw are stripped and wont come out.
Is there a tool to remove them?

Also, the center driveshafts on the car have a lot of movement in them - they can move back and forth a large amount. Is this normal for this car?


Many thanks for any help!
jjl5590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Tech Addict
 
losiracer78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spring , TX
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl5590 View Post
Hiya,

I just received my used Hyper 8, but many of the underside countersunk hex screw are stripped and wont come out.
Is there a tool to remove them?

Also, the center driveshafts on the car have a lot of movement in them - they can move back and forth a large amount. Is this normal for this car?


Many thanks for any help!
for the screws you can use a good set of easy outs or a small cutting disk and cut a straight cut in the screw head and use a flathead screwdriver
__________________
Screen Names Has Changed To mayhem04
losiracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,701
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod
Default

Dremel + Cutting Wheel = new flathead screw ;-)
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 92
Default

Use the correct size drill bit for the head of the screw and just drill the head off the screw.
H9_nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
savage.25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Salmon Arm BC
Posts: 929
Send a message via MSN to savage.25
Default

yup what others have said about the screws

also there shouldnt be a lot of "play" in your driveshafts.. replace the cups. you can buy them in a set of 2 i believe from your LHS
savage.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
fatdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I use these and swear by them. they have saved me and other people around the track countless times

http://www.amazon.com/Alden-8430P-GR.../dp/B000H6PM32

i use them in my little ryobi drill that i use on my car normally. they run in reverse. one side drills out a small hole, and the other side has reverse spiral with notches in it that locks in and grabs the screw.

i can get almost anything with these. from the tiny set screws in CVD's to the large motor mount bolts.

before you get out the dremel and start cutting up your chassis, try these out first. you wont be disapointed. i linked them to amazon, but i think you can get these pretty much anywhere. i got mine at Lowes.
__________________
HPI Racing - Hot Bodies - D8 Army!
**Team Terribles** (Answer RC, Fastlane Graphix, Caster racing, M2C Racing, and Dialed Inc!)
fatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Tech Lord
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Instead of tossing your dremel cutoff wheels when they get small, save them for slotting stripped screws! One about the size of a dime will not mark the chassis and lets you cut deep enough to get it with a screwdriver.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
Torian4000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,119
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl5590 View Post
Hiya,

I just received my used Hyper 8, but many of the underside countersunk hex screw are stripped and wont come out.
Is there a tool to remove them?

Also, the center driveshafts on the car have a lot of movement in them - they can move back and forth a large amount. Is this normal for this car?


Many thanks for any help!

I ran Ofna for 7 years and raced the Hyper 8 and Hyper 8.5. They do have quite a bit of play on the center dog bones! No worries, it won't affect the performance at all. You can replace them but it won't do much good.
Torian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Tech Regular
 
Kalgard Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 467
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

PRO GRABIT!!! SO FOOKING EASY AND NEVER CUT ON A CHASSIS AGAIN.
Kalgard Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
shanty140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,279
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
I use these and swear by them. they have saved me and other people around the track countless times

http://www.amazon.com/Alden-8430P-GR.../dp/B000H6PM32

i use them in my little ryobi drill that i use on my car normally. they run in reverse. one side drills out a small hole, and the other side has reverse spiral with notches in it that locks in and grabs the screw.

i can get almost anything with these. from the tiny set screws in CVD's to the large motor mount bolts.

before you get out the dremel and start cutting up your chassis, try these out first. you wont be disapointed. i linked them to amazon, but i think you can get these pretty much anywhere. i got mine at Lowes.
I use these and they work awesome. Gets the screws out in very little time.
__________________
Race Vehicles:
Mugen MBX6T - Ninja JX.21 with EB Mods Headbutton, O.S. 2060 Pipe, DX3R, Hitec 7955TG Servos on LiPo
HPI Cup Racer - Murfdogg Synergy 17.5, Tekin RS Pro, 2S 40C 4200mah, DX3R, Sav÷x SC-1251MG Servo
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:14 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
speedy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,719
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

on screws metal to metal
I found out heating the screwshead
with a hot solderingbit for 1 minute loosens up locktight
(you hear it starting to cook with little sqeeks )
and than you can often get the screws to loosen using a new Allenbit
__________________
//JQ The Car forever/ Soar //Protek-Ace-JR
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 AM   #12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 48
Default

the thing about the screws, i think the previous owner might have used red loctite on them, because i was breaking my allen keys trying to get them out
jjl5590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:15 AM   #13
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Default

On stripped hex screws i use star/torq bit to remove them, or the hammer a next size up method.

best of luck.
kevinl7778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
Tech Master
 
fatdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl5590 View Post
the thing about the screws, i think the previous owner might have used red loctite on them, because i was breaking my allen keys trying to get them out
like speedy said. hit it with a soldering iron, or a heat gun till its loosens up
__________________
HPI Racing - Hot Bodies - D8 Army!
**Team Terribles** (Answer RC, Fastlane Graphix, Caster racing, M2C Racing, and Dialed Inc!)
fatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:22 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net