R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Chassis Setup

Would you consider your self faster running a pro's setup? Would you have someone who is faster than you setup your car and you having to adjust your driving style to the car rather than the car to your driving style just to save a tenth or two.
Nixon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

i think i am not be cocky having a pro setup on my losi eight 1.0 b seem to make it handle better and i could tell in my lap times i tryed a stock setup and it was crap know matter how i drove,as for others having faster setups thats just the driving really
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Default Set it up yourself for yourself is the go.. IMO...

Best idea IMO would be to set your own car up yourself, no harm in asking for tips from the pro's. Trial and error is the only way to get the car right. As for thinking you will drive faster if a pro sets your car up? Ive seen that done a few times and it made them drive like a full on hacker and lose time lol.. Also many tracks you will need many changes..
Ronregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

The pro's set ups are out there simply to aid other racers in getting there buggy setup started. For some people they can use a pros setup to the T and be happy with it, for others they will start with the setup and make adjustments to suite there driving style. I for one will start with the kit setup and adjust until the buggy is to my liking. I like to try everything on a car so I know exactly what does what. Knowledge is power.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpz_67 View Post
The pro's set ups are out there simply to aid other racers in getting there buggy setup started. For some people they can use a pros setup to the T and be happy with it, for others they will start with the setup and make adjustments to suite there driving style. I for one will start with the kit setup and adjust until the buggy is to my liking. I like to try everything on a car so I know exactly what does what. Knowledge is power.
+1
Ronregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

the pro setup for me seem to make me better and im pretty new to 1/8 buggy but i can get were u say were it makes some people hackers.it seem to make my eight more gripper
Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use the pro's set-up as a base template, then adjust to my particular track and driving style. It's basically a starting point for me.
mark676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon327 View Post
Would you consider your self faster running a pro's setup? Would you have someone who is faster than you setup your car and you having to adjust your driving style to the car rather than the car to your driving style just to save a tenth or two.
Q: Would you consider yourself faster running a pro's setup?
A: Only lap comparisons can tell you this. Just assuming "Joe Pro's" set up you copied will make you faster will only disappoint you.

Q: Would you have someone who is faster than you setup your car?
A: "Yes" The person helping you set up your car should be able to help improve your car based on what it's NOT doing for you.

Q: And you having to adjust your driving style to the car rather than the car to your driving style just to save a tenth or two.
A: Adaptive drivers will always be faster than those who cannot compensate for things that may not be 100% or even 80%. So in saying that it's not a bad thing to change or adapt.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark676 View Post
I use the pro's set-up as a base template, then adjust to my particular track and driving style. It's basically a starting point for me.
+1 I like my car to be set up to my driving style. If I hand my controller to a buddy he will prob not like it. Everyone has their own driving styles and I do exactly like you, use the pros setup as a template and tweak from there.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

IMO the pros set ups might work if your running on the same track as them. every track is not the same there all alittle different,I would just ask the fast guys in your area and see what works for them, try it out and see what works for you and adjust as needed from there.
But hey thats just me A D-main driver
xl8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Setup....

Great question.

I have seen pro setups lately that seemed ok, but not great. I've noticed that most new cars have a better stock setup than in years past. I tend to run thicker shock and diff oil in my cars, but nothing crazy. I do run my front ride height a little higher than others to prevent digging in and the pro setups are usually all the same for a specific car. It's like they don't want to try something different. With some exceptions. On the flip side, I do love to see the big races on u tube, and it seems that if your good a setup or car is not as important as making good moves, and avoiding accidents and staying calm while driving. the fastest guy on raceday is calm and relaxed and drives smooth. Setups can get too serious and silly. What pipe shoud I use for my whatever and what mileage, it's modded by, and smart diffs, and special this and measure that doesn't win races, good driving and a well cleaned and rebuilt ride does, along with some luck, and skill and practice. I spend so much time, just taking my car apart and putting new bearings in it, and cleaning everything from the diffs to the shocks to the chassis. every screw tightned and oiled to perfection. I don't change a thing, I will know exactly how it's going to drive because I'm not chasing a setup or screwing things up. then I know by how it drives that the shocks need to be refilled. and the diffs need to be cleaned. A shim here to take up slop, and some thread lock on that one screw that tends to fall out during the main. Tune your car how you like, you may come up with a better setup than the pros, even if they win and you don't, your car could be better, and it will help you get better too.
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Great question.

I have seen pro setups lately that seemed ok, but not great. I've noticed that most new cars have a better stock setup than in years past. I tend to run thicker shock and diff oil in my cars, but nothing crazy. I do run my front ride height a little higher than others to prevent digging in and the pro setups are usually all the same for a specific car. It's like they don't want to try something different. With some exceptions. On the flip side, I do love to see the big races on u tube, and it seems that if your good a setup or car is not as important as making good moves, and avoiding accidents and staying calm while driving. the fastest guy on raceday is calm and relaxed and drives smooth. Setups can get too serious and silly. What pipe shoud I use for my whatever and what mileage, it's modded by, and smart diffs, and special this and measure that doesn't win races, good driving and a well cleaned and rebuilt ride does, along with some luck, and skill and practice. I spend so much time, just taking my car apart and putting new bearings in it, and cleaning everything from the diffs to the shocks to the chassis. every screw tightned and oiled to perfection. I don't change a thing, I will know exactly how it's going to drive because I'm not chasing a setup or screwing things up. then I know by how it drives that the shocks need to be refilled. and the diffs need to be cleaned. A shim here to take up slop, and some thread lock on that one screw that tends to fall out during the main. Tune your car how you like, you may come up with a better setup than the pros, even if they win and you don't, your car could be better, and it will help you get better too.
+1 on that. In RC a good driver can compensate for a ton of things wrong. How many times have you heard "So-in-so could drive a shoe box and win" In most cases with the top pros they can!

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Tech Prophet

im not good now yea i change a couple of things from the pro setup but i like most of it though