R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
jonski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 2,741
Trader Rating: 233 (99%+)
Default Starter Box Lipo

Are there any requirements for a lipo pack in a starter box? I know they need to be 14.8volts, but what about mah and c ratings? I will be putting it in a Ofna truggy box.

Thanks
jonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,499
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

I use a losi 4s 2200mah 20c Losi lipo (http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=7762) in my ofna truggy box. When you upgrade the voltage you need to change the wiring and connectors to handle the higher current. I use deans wet noodle wiring and deans connectors, Traxxas would be ok too, depends on what you have. The min c rating is 15c and I wouldnt go any higher than 30c. On the mah I would say the min is 2000 and there really is no max. The losi batteries start both of my cars for a full race day with no prob that includes practice, 3 quals on each car and then in the main. Lipo is so much easier than the old 12v gel and they dont fade like nimh.

__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~

Last edited by Frank L; 11-17-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
reggie l.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: randallstown md.
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

i run 2 2800 lipo's

they are off brand i got them off ebay for cheap!! always have the 2 lipo deals on ebay btw.. and they last forever never had a problem
__________________
_ClockWork-Racing_
http://www.clockworkracingengines.com/
~8t 2.0
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
jonski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 2,741
Trader Rating: 233 (99%+)
Default

So, what's better...one 14.8 or two 7.4 packs? Seems like it would be easier with one pack. Do I have to worry about burning anything up with the lipos (motors)?

Thanks
jonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,499
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Yes thats why you dont want too high of a c rating. The higher the c rating and higher mah the more amps the batery will push out. This will burn up motors. The 775's in the ofna box can handlee it. The stock motors in the old losi box will fry.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
KWT-NITRO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,616
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Hi there,

many of us use this battery from Protek. very good, lasts long.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Ah-Starter-Box

cheers

Ali
__________________
Team Kuwait, Team Terribles, www.rccck.org
Kuwait National Champion
FEMCA Truggy Finalist & FEMCA Buggy Semi-Finalist
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
wallot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Yes thats why you dont want too high of a c rating. The higher the c rating and higher mah the more amps the batery will push out. This will burn up motors. The 775's in the ofna box can handlee it. The stock motors in the old losi box will fry.

battery does not push any Amps - motors pull Amps from battery and if battery does not have high C rating it will be stressed and can overheat.
Motors can be damaged by Higher voltage 4S lipo has and high stress like starting a brand new cold racing engine with very high pinch.

I use 5000mah 4S 30C pack in my Ofna truggy box. Lasts forever.
__________________
DEX408 - Speed Passion Silver Arrow v2, LRP Dynamic 8
Dex410 V3 - Tekin RS Pro, 7.5t Redline
F1-09 - Tekin RS Pro, 17.5t Redline
Sakura Zero S - LRP Quantum, Saturn 20T
KoPropo Eurus
wallot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,807
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Here is a great place to get your lipos from.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp
rageworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:07 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
jonski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 2,741
Trader Rating: 233 (99%+)
Default

Thanks for the great replies...I am just now getting into lipos and this information is very helpful. Also, will I have to change any wiring in the box or will the stock wires be OK. I will switch over to a better connector and get rid of the Tamiya one.

Thanks
jonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonski View Post
Thanks for the great replies...I am just now getting into lipos and this information is very helpful. Also, will I have to change any wiring in the box or will the stock wires be OK. I will switch over to a better connector and get rid of the Tamiya one.

Thanks
ditch the stock wiring and crappy connector's....solder everything and use 12g Deans Wet Noodle and you'll be good to go......a Single 4 cell is imo easier to work with then 2 stick packs....unless you already own the stick packs.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
Tech Master
 
pickle311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,650
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

I picked up a cheapo off ebay for like $30. It's 3800mah and 25c, best $30 I've spent on this hobby.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
I picked up a cheapo off ebay for like $30. It's 3800mah and 25c, best $30 I've spent on this hobby.
ebay's the bomb for stuff like that.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
Tech Addict
 
rc skyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Posts: 643
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I use a losi 4s 2200mah 20c Losi lipo (http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=7762) in my ofna truggy box. When you upgrade the voltage you need to change the wiring and connectors to handle the higher current. I use deans wet noodle wiring and deans connectors, Traxxas would be ok too, depends on what you have. The min c rating is 15c and I wouldnt go any higher than 30c. On the mah I would say the min is 2000 and there really is no max. The losi batteries start both of my cars for a full race day with no prob that includes practice, 3 quals on each car and then in the main. Lipo is so much easier than the old 12v gel and they dont fade like nimh.


Im not sure about higher current?.. Why would your current draw change?

From what i understand if your using higher voltage the current should actully be lower

Not saying your wrong mate but have you actully done current draw tests from one batt type to the next?




Dave
__________________
MUGEN MBX7R & MBX6TR
FUSION X ENGINES By Novarossi
BUKU Power Clutch
MECCAMO FUEL - BETA Tires
www.fusionxengines.com.au
rc skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
boomgagem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, GA
Posts: 1,577
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem
Default

Well, I use the Zippy 4S 2650 mAH 30C/40C Burst Lipo and it works perfect so far. I would like a higher mAH rating though
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
Tech Addict
 
JBURCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampton Va
Posts: 626
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc skyline View Post
Im not sure about higher current?.. Why would your current draw change?

From what i understand if your using higher voltage the current should actully be lower

Not saying your wrong mate but have you actully done current draw tests from one batt type to the next?




Dave
His wording may be wrong on a technical point but hes right about having to change the wires, stock wiring will not hold up and melt, so why would he have to draw tests mate hes right
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:35 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net