R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

One thing Carolinas does well is shipping. Free shipping means free shipping not some items and we'll get to it in a couple days. Free shipping goes out just as fast as normal pay shipping, thats not the case with the other guys. Free shipping with the other guys means you get bumped to the bottom of the stack and we'll get to it when we get to it ie 1-3 days. Say what you want about backordered items but the stuff thats in stock goes out the same day like carolinas website says.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's definitely a give and take with Carolina's RC and A Main. Here's my assessment:

Carolina's
Pros
Fast shipping for cheap (2 days even at the cheapest method ($4-$6) to North and Central Alabama)
Good, clean website layout with easy to find parts (a related con below)
Super responsive customer service
Good coupon codes
Items that you order that are on backorder ship with no added shipping cost

Cons:
Backorder, backorder, backorder (waited 4 months for a Tony's Screw kit which I never got so I canceled)
Uncertain backorder length (the aforementioned screw kit as well as being told several times that something would be in stock the next week only to be told the next week it would be one more week)
Some parts are miscategorized (i.e. tires for CORR trucks are in the CORR truck section and the 1/10 truck section so you have to check both)

A Main:
Pros:
Stock is usually kept high
Huge selection
Fast backorder filling

Cons:
Prices do seem higher but not by lots
Shipping is slow to me (again, to North Alabama, UPS ground takes 7 days since they are in Cali and it's twice as much as Carolina's)
Backorders incur seperate shipping charges (once the item is in stock you are simply sent a email so you can order the item again)

So there it is. Like I said, it's a give and take. If (big if right now) Carolina's has something in stock, it's a no-brainer to order from them. Otherwise, it can be a crap shoot as to whether you will get it in a timely manner or ever. I'll probably stick with Carolina's even with some bigger issues I had with them I didn't discuss here. Let's just say I'm not fond of being lied to.
jared52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I was out in Charlotte for a business trip about a month ago, and I went to check out the Wed. night indoor electric racing at CarolinasRC. The shop itself was damn near empty...no kits or RTR's, probably 75% of the parts hooks on the walls were empty, etc...

I asked what was up....they're apparently getting ready to move to a new location, and are trying to keep inventory low to make the move easier. Of course, they could have been blowing smoke up my butt, but it was a long conversation, so I'd have to give them the benefit of the the doubt.

I'm heading back out that way in a month or so. If the shop still looks the same at that time, then I'll know something's not going well for them...
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Last I talked to John when I was up that way, they are trying to keep a low inventor as of right now, they moving to a new location but no set time. I have heard that the new location will be bigger so the they can hold 2 indoor tracks and 1 out door off road track. But just like everything in this country, businesses are having to be tight with there pockets as we are too. Nobody knows what the future holds, only time will tell. Carolina rc is still the best place to order parts.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I waited 4 months on a backorder with all sorts of excuses .It took the live chat function to finally get a refund. Didnt have the decency to offer anything to bring me back. Beware
ace955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:56 AM   #21
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I remember reading an article that was linked here on RC tech about the owner of Carolinas RC opening some giant RC park complete with restaurant and all kinds of RC tracks and a go-cart track and it was to include the new location for Carolinas RC..what ever happened with that?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've never ordered from Carolinas but I've been on their website browsing around before. It does seem a little tough to navigate at time depending on what you're looking for. And having never ordered from them before the fact that everything is shown as back ordered makes one a little nervous.

I do on the other hand order from A Main quite a bit. I find their prices very competitive and I live in southern New England and usually get my shipment in about 3 days. They've got a TON of shipping options also, so if you opt for the cheapest shipping rate you'll pretty much get what you pay for. Usually USPS Priority is about $2-$3 more than say UPS Ground but you also get your shipment much quicker. If you're not ordering huge items then the USPS Priority option is the way to go.

Just my $.02
Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I remember reading an article that was linked here on RC tech about the owner of Carolinas RC opening some giant RC park complete with restaurant and all kinds of RC tracks and a go-cart track and it was to include the new location for Carolinas RC..what ever happened with that?
+1 what ever happened

STRC LCG Slash looking for electronics

1985 Associated RC 10 Novak t4 Trinity Monster Horsepower 27T futaba Jr
gkn0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkn0315 View Post
+1 what ever happened
Its on backorder .Should see it next week ,end of the month,lost in transit, not quite sure ,its in the que , its there we sent it ,oh sorry about that
ace955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Times are tough... for some...... We had the best October in 7yrs where I'm at and having a good November so far. We also just opened a brand new retail hobby shop thats doing extremely well, But you've got to cover all the bases. The racing end is such a small portion of the actual market/industry, I think it would be tough in any economy to build a substantial business based solely off racing cars/parts. But thats just me

I do wish Jon (you guys have been spelling his name wrong lol) all the best as we've been friends for quite a few years.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I was at there shop when the 2008 Worlds were held at the Farm II. And the hobby shop looked good plenty of stuff but nothing bigger than a Hobby town.

They mentioned that they had bought or were buying the Farm II and they were very excited about that....but later I read that it was under different owner??

I also heard that they had just moved into there current location so I don't understand why they would be moving again.

To be honest it's too bad of what's happing to them....I would order from them all the time and couldn't be happier with there customer service. I hope they get back on there feet.
arm2storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I ordered something from them 2 months ago (back order of course) and have yet to have them do anything but cash the check. that doesnt seem like a good service to me.
interestingly they are selling stuff on ebay, things they dont have on there own website.maybe they only sell the things they have on ebay.
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrat View Post
I ordered something from them 2 months ago (back order of course) and have yet to have them do anything but cash the check. that doesnt seem like a good service to me.
interestingly they are selling stuff on ebay, things they dont have on there own website.maybe they only sell the things they have on ebay.
Call carolinasrc 1 (888) RC CARS 8 and ask for John he is the guy who you want to talk to. It will happen fast if you want a refund. I had some lipos that I wanted right away and they ended up being on back order. I called when John was there and he credited my paypal account before I was off the phone with him. So ask for John.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #29
Tech Prophet

i like carolina rc espially how there shipping is and their prices they said that in october they were moving into a new building and restock their invertory dont know what happen to that i know they get plently of business and if they dont evently stop with the backorders there gone to lose their costomers i remember i ordered 4 sets of city blocks and one set was on backorder for 3 mouths so i had to go to a hobby store to buy a other pair cause it was taking to long i do hope they improve cause i do like them.

the pros for amainhobbies is

they are always in stock quickly
2. there prices arent to bad some things are though
3. they have tons of things i never heard of

cons

1.there shipping is kind of slow to me
2.there coupons require u to spend atlest $100 or more to get money off

tower hobbies

pros

1.they have things in stock regualy
2. and they have a lot of scrath and dent things to buy
3.they navegate system is pretty good

cons

1. prices are a little high on some things
2. u have to spend a lot more than a 100 to get just $5.00 off
3. there shipping is dam expesive
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #30
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

From what I see......their prices seem pretty much the same as A-Mains, at least on the items of interest to me (RC8 parts etc.).
What's bothersome is that most of the site appears to be on back-order on a consistent basis.
mark676 is offline   Reply With Quote