R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   What makes the race? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/344414-what-makes-race.html)

kodiakbear7070 11-15-2009 09:43 PM

What makes the race?

You can go to the track with all the right equipment the best of the best. But what makes the day worth while no matter if its for money or just to be competitive. Do you ever wish you would have setup your buggy a lil diffrent or maybe not nudge someone out of the way. Opinion wise from the experts to the ones that is just starting out, what do you expect from your experince every weekend after leaving the track. Have you ever said a cross word to someone and regret. Have you ever helped someone and they in turn maybe beat you out of a spot and did it leave a bad taste in your mouth, or was you happy that you helped them gain the advantage and in turn hope later on that they will do the same for you.

boomgagem 11-15-2009 10:14 PM

I've only been racing about 6 months. And I only have about 6 races under my belt. Only 4 with my buggy.

I want to learn something new every race. And I want to try and lower my average lap time every main. And I want to complete a heat or a main without flipping.

I haven't had a bad experience yet. I was kind of upset this past weekend when I was pitting for a truggy driver, and he was supposed to pit for me. Well I was about to race my main, and he was over there gluing tires for some other Truggy driver, and I had to find someone else to pit for me in a rush. Well he came up to me later and asked if I was going to pit him.

I wanted to say no, but I'm not an ass, so I did. That has been my only bad experience so far, and even then I'm not upset about it now, no big deal to me! Besides, he is really a cool guy, and has helped me alot.

JeffEmbracedDC 11-15-2009 10:45 PM

I like this post a lot. Just as a pre-face to my post I will say that some of what I said doesn't necessarily apply to professional racers who rely on good race results to feed their families. Some of it does! But this reply (mostly) applies to club/state level racers ---

Competition is fun. Winning is fun. But you can't expect to win every time you go out to the track.

So often you'll see people getting upset, mad, cursing, throwing fits, etc over breaking down or running a bad race. I could maybe sort-of understand this if you're a professional and counting on that money to feed your family. Even in that case I would say if you're given lemons, make lemonade. Stuff happens and there's really no benefit to being angry. It doesn't improve your life or the people's around you.

The only real reason anyone should spend thousands of dollars on racing equipment is if you're having fun. If you're not having fun you really shouldn't be doing it. What other reason would there be? If someone nudges you out of the way - Big deal. Life goes on. If an axle pops out or you snap an arm or blow a diff - I promise it won't kill you. Understand this WILL happen and instead of being angry when it happens just be happy every time it doesn't.

I just see too many angry faces when the competition gets too high. If you're not having fun then seriously - what's the point? you're not making money, you're not obligated to race. Isn't there something you'd rather be doing than stomping around angry? If you only like the winning part can't stand losing then don't race. You need to enjoy losing (almost) as much as you do winning.

My favorite thing about racing and RC in general is having fun with fellow racers, the comradery, and sharing knowledge back and forth. Improving your skills in setup and driving is certainly fun as well. Helping out is definitely another big part of what makes this and really any other hobby fun for me. Meeting new people, and always learning new things yourself.

A little competition makes things fun, but irrelevant of the race results if you're not happy, you're probably better off leaving the transponders at home in my humble opinion.

-Jeff

Addendum -
People get mad over broken parts or dirty racing, but another thing you might see is drivers yelling at turn marshals to move faster or cussing them out when THEY'RE the ones who crashed in the first place. Yes it's their job to be vigilant and move fairly quickly but everyone makes mistakes. You have no right to yell at marshals for making a mistake. The marshals don't yell at you for driving like an idiot. It's acceptable to get the marshals attention if they didn't see your car flip or go off the track as long as you don't do it in a rude manner. It's even nice to thank the marshal after the race (as long as you're not sarcastic).

kodiakbear7070 11-15-2009 10:59 PM

I must say I like both responses you have one that could have told the guy no way cause he was gluing tires and should have kept his word but he didnt but the main thing hear was he did so to me that made him a better racer then the other cause he kept his word.

The other your going out there to have fun make it more a famliey atmosphere then anything else. Helping others and not getting angry over something pety, and learning also Ive only been doing this now since june and it is expensive to start you sink alot of cash in the buggys and truggy btw no biggie but I do the buggy have not had the oppertunity to race but have met a couple of the guys that do race at the local track and one of them made the comment he dont like the money races they bring the worst out in ppl. that is a very true statement. I myself got into this cause I wanted to I seen my first fast buggy when I was 6 or 8 yrs old now 13-14 yrs latter I baught a kit and built it for fun now ready looking and preparing for next season to maybe race and just have and meet ppl like yourself no matter shape or form of life you walk just one thing in common like the sport hobby compition whatever you may call it.

yuppi1 11-15-2009 11:19 PM

I have been bashing in RC now for about a year and i have just got a truggy and been tuning it myself and fixing all the parts in it, exploring the whole car and i love it, gives me such a good feeling when i know my car is getting closer to being tuned. I am trying to get my car ready to start racing but i am not sure if i have the gear to do it or the knowledge. Its not a flash exspensive car and im not sure if it will be a joke me turning up to a race day

Just my say
cheers

JeffEmbracedDC 11-15-2009 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by yuppi1 (Post 6604936)
I have been bashing in RC now for about a year and i have just got a truggy and been tuning it myself and fixing all the parts in it, exploring the whole car and i love it, gives me such a good feeling when i know my car is getting closer to being tuned. I am trying to get my car ready to start racing but i am not sure if i have the gear to do it or the knowledge. Its not a flash exspensive car and im not sure if it will be a joke me turning up to a race day

Just my say
cheers

It doesn't really matter what kind of car, knowledge, or equipment you have. Showing up at your track is the best way to learn more. If you're nervous just show up on a practice day and there's a good chance you'll find someone to show you the ropes of how a track works. after a day of practice under your belt show up on a race night and meet some more people and if you want, join a novice or stock class and just have fun with it. Nothing to be afraid of. Just approach people and tell them you're new. If you have a question don't be afraid to ask. Obviously if they look busy (sweating bullets, wrenching on a motor with a magnifying glass) just ask the guy next to him who's charging some batteries and snacking on his fritos. Or if your track has an on-site hobby shop - ask the guys in the shop. They're there to help.
-Jeff

yuppi1 11-16-2009 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by JeffEmbracedDC (Post 6605040)
It doesn't really matter what kind of car, knowledge, or equipment you have. Showing up at your track is the best way to learn more. If you're nervous just show up on a practice day and there's a good chance you'll find someone to show you the ropes of how a track works. after a day of practice under your belt show up on a race night and meet some more people and if you want, join a novice or stock class and just have fun with it. Nothing to be afraid of. Just approach people and tell them you're new. If you have a question don't be afraid to ask. Obviously if they look busy (sweating bullets, wrenching on a motor with a magnifying glass) just ask the guy next to him who's charging some batteries and snacking on his fritos. Or if your track has an on-site hobby shop - ask the guys in the shop. They're there to help.
-Jeff

Thanks very much for that, the only thing i was worried about was embarrassing myself. i am going to a race meet this weekend to see how it all works.

cheers

kodiakbear7070 11-16-2009 12:06 AM

In one way you would think that we all fill that we are going to a national event like a nascar race or a nhra and getting ready to drive a half a milllion dollar car around the track but this is just as big to all of us or we would not be on this site discussing tech ideas and getting info on how to properley do things. This forum hear has saved me many head aches. Also at that when your new at something you are going to be not sure on what your doing just as when you showed up at your job or colleage dorm for the first day by the end of the year or season your chilled out and its not a big deal your relaxed and kicked back and ready to go with the flow and kick up some dust so to say.

kodiakbear7070 11-16-2009 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by yuppi1 (Post 6605063)
Thanks very much for that, the only thing i was worried about was embarrassing myself. i am going to a race meet this weekend to see how it all works.

cheers

Good luck and if you dont care come back and share the experince and how you did good or bad

yuppi1 11-16-2009 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by kodiakbear7070 (Post 6605066)
In one way you would think that we all fill that we are going to a national event like a nascar race or a nhra and getting ready to drive a half a milllion dollar car around the track but this is just as big to all of us or we would not be on this site discussing tech ideas and getting info on how to properley do things. This forum hear has saved me many head aches. Also at that when your new at something you are going to be not sure on what your doing just as when you showed up at your job or colleage dorm for the first day by the end of the year or season your chilled out and its not a big deal your relaxed and kicked back and ready to go with the flow and kick up some dust so to say.

This site has helped me out so much with every little bit of my car. just hope people at the track are just as helpful

Frank L 11-16-2009 06:30 AM

I enjoy the track for several reasons. The friendships I have made are priceless. Good clean fun is hard to find. The tracks I frequent do not allow alcohol or drugs and if you are acting like an idiot and running your mouth you may be asked to leave. I go to the track to unwind and bring what I got to see how it all shakes out. I am not always looking to win I just do my best and wee how it shakes out. These cars take tons of time to maintain inbetween races and it's very satisfying to see it all pay out in the end. I know when guys start yelling at the turn marshals I usually crack a wise a$$ comment something like well it's not the marshal's fault you crashed or it's not the marshal it's your driving (if I know the guy pretty well). Last year there was this kid that was 9 years old and he was very very tough to beat always fun chasing him arond the track buthis father was always yelling at him and putting him down when he didn't put down a good lap time or made a mistake. That always turned my stomach. This year I don't see him and his dad anymore hummm I wonder why. It's too bad too because I think he could have went full pro. My bottom line is if I'm not having fun then it's time to pack up and go home.

PTP Racing 11-16-2009 06:44 AM

Its all about having fun.

The way to have fun is to be prepared, follow the rules, and dont drive over your head.

I'm fairly competitive but its most important to me finish the races. As long as I finish my races I am always having fun. The finishing order will be what it is when its over but as long as I finish I know I did my best.

NitroOB4You 11-16-2009 06:50 AM

I gotta say, I didn't have as much "fun" this year as I would have hoped. At least not with my driving results. But, the comaraderie as noted earlier is priceless. I also do a lot for others. Helping to pit, corner, taking pictures, etc. In past seasons, I have been known to get ugly, even threatened to hit someone once. In an effort to try to remind myself why I am here, to have fun, I had a special scheme painted for my buggy. All in all, I think it helped immensely. One of the greatest things that has ever happened to me in my racing efforts was very recently at the RCP Finals in TX. Purely out of coincidence, I happened into a conversation with the mother of a young kid who races in my region. She told me that she teaches her son to watch me, when I'm out on the track marshalling. She wants him to learn how to marshall and generally conduct himself by watching me.That, above all, truly made this season worthwhile. :)

Trevor Williams 11-16-2009 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by PTP Racing (Post 6605663)
Its all about having fun.

exactly how I feel about it man.......I see way too many guys tweak over the smallest things at the track........I have even seen a young man nearing tears over a bad finish :cry::lol:

I Just go out to have fun, it's a release for me to be at the track.....My goal for each day is to just be smooth and drive respectfully, let the fastguys by clean, and volunteer/help all you can at the track........I have the priveledge of racing at two of the finest tracks in the midwest......both in St Louis Mo baby! SmacTrac and STL Dirtburners......and I try to give a helping hand wherever and whenever I can.....keep the driving clean and have a positive attitude and help as many people as you can, I give parts away and let people run my tires all the time, that's what it's all about is helping your fellow racers.......not to mention I have been helped a lot myself by our factory sponsored guys locally as well, this is a very cool sport/hobby.............get out there and support your local tracks people! ;)

cary 11-16-2009 07:02 AM

competition is what drives us but it is the friends
that make us come back if I walk a way at the end
of the day knowing that I did my best and may have
help some one else have fun and do good then I had a
great day of racing