R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Yea I agree.. I have been racing since about feb.. and I cant say-So far I have had a day (racing) that I havnt driven back and enjoyed myself. When, I started I was on my gap year, So I had a fair bit or spare time to practice tinker ect.. now its more hard being at uni. My main goal, is to have fun when I race. I do like to race, and try my hardest.. but Im not for one to yell at marshals.. To be fair, its the driver that made the mistake anyway..
That is my 1 pet peeve people who yell at marshals. And, people who put next to 0 effort into marhsalling just becasue they had a bad quali.. or something.
I try my hardest, at everything.. but never get agressive or shout at people.. I once, had someone shout at me.. as by this time he had flipped on my corner about 8 times.. So to be fair I was getting a little fed up.. he was revving the head off of it.. whilst I was about to flip it over.. was yelling at me.. so I just stood by it until he stopped yelling and revving.. He soon stopped yelling. Plus he got a warning from the track owner. Sometimes I think that is the best medicine for people who constantly yell and rev the engines. Yes-Its fine to get the marshalls attention but its when they keep doing it and you go to flip it over.. its very dangerous.. I enjoy myself, and do the odd bit of tweaking throught the day.. but thats about it.. Some will strip and rebuild car.. but to me, there isnt enough numbers wise so you have like 10 mins between running and marshall and then 5 mins to get ready after.. But, Sometimes I find a nicely preped car before a race it better than.. One that someone is tweaking constantly throught the day..

The reason I spend 100+ a month is becasue every time I run im happy and brings a smile.. People that dont race dont understand.. but to me prefer to spend 100 on rc racing fuel spares ect.. then spending it on drugs and booze.. well thats my view.. anyway!
Number 1 priority ENJOY IT!!!
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
competition is what drives us but it is the friends
that make us come back if I walk a way at the end
of the day knowing that I did my best and may have
help some one else have fun and do good then I had a
great day of racing
+1

Especially now that I'm older and have been around R/C racing seemingly forever. I enjoy edjucating and helping other drivers in any way I can.

Maybe sometimes I throw my advise in where it's not asked for but many times someone will later tell me that they tried my advice and liked it, it worked or maybe didn't. Even if it didn't at least they tried.

In saying that; Experience is the greatest teacher. Within that there are those of us who push with advice or criticism to eleviate complacency.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
Tech Adept

This is a great forum, I think too many people get wrapped up in the moment and forget why there in this hobby. I've been racing for over 4 years now, I got into for the excitement and the enjoyment of hanging out with friends and making new ones. It's great going and being able to help someone that totaly new, there excited, nervous, half panicked not knowing what number transponder they need to grab, and all of us remember the feelings from our first race. I still do it for FUN, learning more about RC's helping out my friends and helping out where it's needed, volunteer turn marshall maybe with a hose to water the track and even working with the race director on TRACK DAY to keep the track looking good. this hobby is what we make it, if theres things you dont like about it, step up dont just sit on the sidelines and complain.

hope to see you all at the races, Scott
rc_racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #19
Tech Elite

At the end of the day I just want to say I had fun playing witt my toys. I have cursed at people and been cursed. I have made stupid mistakes at the track which cause some one to lose. I have spent so much time helping a newbie that I didnt put the apporiate care in to my own RC to have him beat me cause something happend to my ride. Was I pissed yes but at the end of the race. Im happy I had fun... This is a very competive hobby, no matter club or pro at the end of the day, its should always be about fun. Thsi ish cost to much money and take up to much time for me to bitch and complain all day, blame others cause I didnt finish or call someone a sandbagger because he or she kicked my but.... The faster the better - I just make me wanna pracitce more so I can be more competitive.....
Old 11-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Yep racing should be FUN, but competitive.

I have almost done the full circle in my 8 years racing, started in a car park on my own, TC indoors, then up to monster trucks and learning nitro, running a local track and now back to just racing Truggy at UK national level and helping new guys out.

I find it best to remember who 'hacked' me on the track and have a gentle word once your done marshaling, gives you time to calm down a bit. A few times I have had to also apologize to other drives myself too.

I always end up fighting one car on the track during the qualifying, this does no one any good. Next heat I make sure I'm the opposite side of the track to them. Last time I did this I improved by 15-20s on my time, the other guy improved by 30s

I often remind angry drivers that they are fighting over a bit of plastic, which they are welcome to have mine if I win one and it means that much to them.

I love racing against some guys as we regularly 'duel' during the season, even if we are in the 50th place overall and a winner in our tent is still a winner and gives you a warm glow on the drive home
jabberingjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Great topic.

I race here in Brazoria Texas at the river track. I race an 808 and our track has only enough racers to make one big class that includes truggies, buggies in both electric and nitro. My nitro 808 gets beaten up pretty bad going against the trucks, but I usually come out on top. racing the electric cars seems a little unfair, and the trucks just beat my car to death. No one will let me pass even if I've laped them 6 times. I do get frustrated, but I so love racing and if I can win at this race, then I will do better at bigger races. I try to learn from my experiences, and have been racing for 20 years off and on. I see other drivers yelling and I try to set the example being the fast guy. It can be tough, I may growl, but I can remember how it feels to be up against the fast guys, and get lapped. When I pass I slow down to avoid the truggies and slower drivers. Patience is a virtue.....
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just go to the races with the same relaxed, laid back attitude that I have everywhere else. It works well for me at the track. In addition, if I receive advice from someone more experienced and faster than myself, I'm inclined to take it and actually put it to use.

As far as what I expect from the hobby every time I go out: fun and perhaps a little bit of an adrenaline rush.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffEmbracedDC View Post
I like this post a lot. Just as a pre-face to my post I will say that some of what I said doesn't necessarily apply to professional racers who rely on good race results to feed their families. Some of it does! But this reply (mostly) applies to club/state level racers ---

Competition is fun. Winning is fun. But you can't expect to win every time you go out to the track.

So often you'll see people getting upset, mad, cursing, throwing fits, etc over breaking down or running a bad race. I could maybe sort-of understand this if you're a professional and counting on that money to feed your family. Even in that case I would say if you're given lemons, make lemonade. Stuff happens and there's really no benefit to being angry. It doesn't improve your life or the people's around you.

The only real reason anyone should spend thousands of dollars on racing equipment is if you're having fun. If you're not having fun you really shouldn't be doing it. What other reason would there be? If someone nudges you out of the way - Big deal. Life goes on. If an axle pops out or you snap an arm or blow a diff - I promise it won't kill you. Understand this WILL happen and instead of being angry when it happens just be happy every time it doesn't.

I just see too many angry faces when the competition gets too high. If you're not having fun then seriously - what's the point? you're not making money, you're not obligated to race. Isn't there something you'd rather be doing than stomping around angry? If you only like the winning part can't stand losing then don't race. You need to enjoy losing (almost) as much as you do winning.

My favorite thing about racing and RC in general is having fun with fellow racers, the comradery, and sharing knowledge back and forth. Improving your skills in setup and driving is certainly fun as well. Helping out is definitely another big part of what makes this and really any other hobby fun for me. Meeting new people, and always learning new things yourself.

A little competition makes things fun, but irrelevant of the race results if you're not happy, you're probably better off leaving the transponders at home in my humble opinion.

-Jeff

Addendum -
People get mad over broken parts or dirty racing, but another thing you might see is drivers yelling at turn marshals to move faster or cussing them out when THEY'RE the ones who crashed in the first place. Yes it's their job to be vigilant and move fairly quickly but everyone makes mistakes. You have no right to yell at marshals for making a mistake. The marshals don't yell at you for driving like an idiot. It's acceptable to get the marshals attention if they didn't see your car flip or go off the track as long as you don't do it in a rude manner. It's even nice to thank the marshal after the race (as long as you're not sarcastic).
I like that saying. I agree with everything in this post. So very true. Theres nothing like helping people or being helped yourself. Thats what makes this hobby what it is. You get to meet new people, make new friends, and just have fun.

Brands are just brands. People get caught up in arguing over which 'brand' product you/he/she/me has and doesn't concentrate on having fun.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to kodiakbear7070

I have to agree with alot of these post on hear and another one could come from this. Is it not true that you do learn more from losing then winning. If winning became a rutine , then what would you actualy gain. Does not one learn more from failure then success. Dont get me wrong winning is excellent and is rewarding means all the little things was done right. The chips feel into place that day or that moment. Now lossing on the other hand means you have to dig down and figure out what exactley went wrong and way. So there for you have to learn something new or give up.
kodiakbear7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:49 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffEmbracedDC View Post
I like this post a lot. Just as a pre-face to my post I will say that some of what I said doesn't necessarily apply to professional racers who rely on good race results to feed their families. Some of it does! But this reply (mostly) applies to club/state level racers ---

Competition is fun. Winning is fun. But you can't expect to win every time you go out to the track.

So often you'll see people getting upset, mad, cursing, throwing fits, etc over breaking down or running a bad race. I could maybe sort-of understand this if you're a professional and counting on that money to feed your family. Even in that case I would say if you're given lemons, make lemonade. Stuff happens and there's really no benefit to being angry. It doesn't improve your life or the people's around you.

The only real reason anyone should spend thousands of dollars on racing equipment is if you're having fun. If you're not having fun you really shouldn't be doing it. What other reason would there be? If someone nudges you out of the way - Big deal. Life goes on. If an axle pops out or you snap an arm or blow a diff - I promise it won't kill you. Understand this WILL happen and instead of being angry when it happens just be happy every time it doesn't.

I just see too many angry faces when the competition gets too high. If you're not having fun then seriously - what's the point? you're not making money, you're not obligated to race. Isn't there something you'd rather be doing than stomping around angry? If you only like the winning part can't stand losing then don't race. You need to enjoy losing (almost) as much as you do winning.

My favorite thing about racing and RC in general is having fun with fellow racers, the comradery, and sharing knowledge back and forth. Improving your skills in setup and driving is certainly fun as well. Helping out is definitely another big part of what makes this and really any other hobby fun for me. Meeting new people, and always learning new things yourself.

A little competition makes things fun, but irrelevant of the race results if you're not happy, you're probably better off leaving the transponders at home in my humble opinion.

-Jeff

Addendum -
People get mad over broken parts or dirty racing, but another thing you might see is drivers yelling at turn marshals to move faster or cussing them out when THEY'RE the ones who crashed in the first place. Yes it's their job to be vigilant and move fairly quickly but everyone makes mistakes. You have no right to yell at marshals for making a mistake. The marshals don't yell at you for driving like an idiot. It's acceptable to get the marshals attention if they didn't see your car flip or go off the track as long as you don't do it in a rude manner. It's even nice to thank the marshal after the race (as long as you're not sarcastic).

+1, Spot on!!
MECCAMO FUEL - BETA Tires
www.fusionxengines.com.au
rc skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

hey dave, any oter threads on the bad fuel company?lol...a fellow suscriber...lol
Old 11-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #27
Tech Addict

If my buggy finishes a race under its own power, im happy.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBlazin View Post
hey dave, any oter threads on the bad fuel company?lol...a fellow suscriber...lol

Lol, Actully there are a few here on other forums that i will find if your serious?... Many people started to get a little upset but if your demand is genuine ill find a few more threads that will tell you about the same amain story that i told

Sorry to go off topic guys

Dave
MECCAMO FUEL - BETA Tires
www.fusionxengines.com.au
rc skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_racer1 View Post
This is a great forum, I think too many people get wrapped up in the moment and forget why there in this hobby. I've been racing for over 4 years now, I got into for the excitement and the enjoyment of hanging out with friends and making new ones. It's great going and being able to help someone that totaly new, there excited, nervous, half panicked not knowing what number transponder they need to grab, and all of us remember the feelings from our first race. I still do it for FUN, learning more about RC's helping out my friends and helping out where it's needed, volunteer turn marshall maybe with a hose to water the track and even working with the race director on TRACK DAY to keep the track looking good. this hobby is what we make it, if theres things you dont like about it, step up dont just sit on the sidelines and complain.

hope to see you all at the races, Scott
+1
Old 11-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #30
Tech Elite

just plaYIN witcha man....sux, i pop corn and have no entertainment anymore, it was like the rc tec reality show!!LOLll