R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #31
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

I clean/re-oil outers after every run, a fresh one is used before each run on the track........I replace the inners with a fresh one about every 2/3 race days......my air filter maintenance has been pretty good.......I learned early on how important it actually is.........I use Lucky 7 filter oil, it's the best I have used.......I use powersave filters
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
It is personal preference. Not that I'm the foam filter police but I do have plenty of experience with "tacky" foam filter oils that use n-Hexane, Naptha, non-denatured Alcohol and those that are in aerosol form that use these solvents along with Propane or Nitrous Oxide as a propelant.

These are "no bueno" for micro ringless engines that rely on the fuel air mixture to lubricate the internal parts.

What was that commercial...?

"You can pay me now or you can pay me later."
LOL, Not a commercial...LOl I am a RC guy anyway. I just have never heard all that and some of the Engine guru's I know use our stuff, PJ1 etc. So it is a suprise to hear it, that's all. Again, I always get lots of gallons thru my mills and I have used the RC oils also and never seen a difference between the two so I just don't agree.
Kalgard Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #33
Tech Addict

I clean & re-use my filters , i'm one of "those mx guys" & use pj1 mx filter oil. Between my sons 2 buggies my 2 buggies & 1 truggy we have been through over 30 Gallons of fuel & have had no filter related failures . Matter of fact we haven't had any engine failures yet . (knock on wood )
GRP.21 = 8 gallons
Trinity extech 1= 5 gallons
rb c-6 = 6 gallons
v-spec= 11gallons
jammin .21= 2.5 gallons
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I clean and re-use my filters as well. Me being one of the old MX guys I still use No-Toil Cleaner and Oil. I clean and wash them out in the sink and they always look brand new after I wash them. The No-Toil oils are also bio-degradable so they are very safe and user friendly.
Michael#81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Of all you "MX" guys I hope you don't run K&N.....

I've not only come from racing Pro Quads but also raced SCCA Pro Rally.

Foam filters are THE best defense for an engine.

Also make sure you use an "R/C" foam filter oil. Most that are from outside of the industry play havoc with glow plugs, tune and some even gum up bearings and carbon up combustion chambers.

I've actually had more sucess running losi air filters, and using the K@N filter oil, in combination with the co-flex outer wrap. 2 years + with the same 2 engines for the last 2 years. 1 regular v-spec, and 1 O.S. speed. Both run flawlessly and have yet to flame out due to anything other than running out of fuel. I haven't even had to replace any bearings, pistons, con rods or sleaves. The guys I run against can attest to the fact that I rarely lose a race to a flameout, they pray for me to have mechanical failures, because they know my motor maintinance habits prevent me from having issues.

If I were to try anything new, it would be the kalgard stuff, it's similar to what I've been using. and I would never actually use a K@N air filter, because they are too bulky for rc racing, on top of it all they are harder to take appart and clean.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
The guys I run against can attest to the fact that I rarely lose a race to a flameout, they pray for me to have mechanical failures, because they know my motor maintinance habits prevent me from having issues.
But you drive an Xray, so mechanical failure never happens!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
you might wanna try the [code][/code] tags for that to look right
......................................__.......... ......................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,................................... .......
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll..................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll............................. ...
..............lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-..*`*;..)..........................
.................,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/...................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*....................
................|.../.../.../.*`..............................)....)¯`~,....... ...........
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---........../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../....................
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|......................
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,...................
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..................
Old 11-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Default u right there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Williams View Post
I clean/re-oil outers after every run, a fresh one is used before each run on the track........I replace the inners with a fresh one about every 2/3 race days......my air filter maintenance has been pretty good.......I learned early on how important it actually is.........I use Lucky 7 filter oil, it's the best I have used.......I use powersave filters

i actually hammered 2 engines due to air filter failure and thats and expensive failure learn.
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:03 AM   #39
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
I guess I'll step in on this one. Taking my knowledge from years of motocross racing, these filters are made of the same type of foam and the same oil is used for them.
It's perfectly fine to clean them if you do it the correct way. Thinners and solvents will break down the foam. There are some solvents made specifically for air filter cleaning and those work fine, but aren't needed. I was all of my filters in the sink with soapy water. It easily breaks down the oil and gets everything out. I just soak it the filter wish dish soap and work it in really well then rinse it really well. Do not stretch or wring out the filters, it will tear the foam and break it down. Just a simple squeeze to get the majority of the water out is sufficient then let it air dry. If I'm in a hurry, I will throw them in the dryer for 5 or 10 minutes. I put them in a bag, oil them, and they are ready to go again.

As far as how often I change them, it depends on the track conditions. I always inspect it after every run and change as needed. For instance, yesterday I ran pre race practice then changed the filter before quals started. I ran all 3 of my quals, then changed it again before the main.

I totaly agree with this teqnuiqe, Foam filters are desinged to be washed and if you use warm soapy water that will break down the oil you use you should be able to get them clean... I dont know why it is some people think that any dirt that is trapped in the foam or actully more so the oil think it cant come out

I notice many people at my local track now just use new filters every day and throw away the old ones and personally i think its madness

I allwase oil my inner and outer filters... I have never seen any dirt on my inner filter!!, I then wash the outer and re oil... On a dusty day or more serious race event i will change the outer half way thru the meet

Dave
MECCAMO FUEL - BETA Tires
www.fusionxengines.com.au
rc skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #40
Tech Regular

I totally agree. First of all the propellant is only present when delivering the material to the filter. Since we spray the oil into a ziplock bag to work it into the filter, this is a non issue. The propellant being propane is instantly dissolved into the atmosphere that is why there is such a big issue with aerosols and the environment, so with that being said there is no way that the propellant could have a chance to have any adverse effects on the motor. Now, about the solvent carrier is easy, if it was going to have any affect it would swell the filter way before it reached the internals of the motor, the filters on a Mx Bike are made of the same foam materials the R/C filters that are just a finer micron. Kal-Gard Foam Filter Cleaner is specifically formulated for this type of material and has had extensive testing in both the real world and the lab to insure that there is no possible side affects on the foam.

Like I said before, it is preference....I just want to present the information and you can decide. Our Oil is really good and Ryan Lutz uses the Cleaner all the time and our team has been using it almost all year now with not even one issue. This is not a sales pitch either, if we were having any kind of problems, Kalgard would fix it, they are constantly making small changes to the formulas to make the products better and we have over a dozen RC drivers constantly testing to help refine the products. We have a couple new products we are testing right now and we are not going to put them out until they are perfect. These are RC specifc products and I think you guys are gonna really like them.
Kalgard Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I understand, some people are amused by pissing in the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post
......................................__.......... ......................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,................................... .......
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll..................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll............................. ...
..............lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-..*`*;..)..........................
.................,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/...................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*....................
................|.../.../.../.*`..............................)....)¯`~,....... ...........
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---........../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../....................
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|......................
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,...................
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..................
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

2 X A DAY LOL
MAGPIE-121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I change them when they're dirt. Sometimes that is after a few practice runs before the races and sometimes it makes it the whole day. I've never used an outer for more than a race day and I've only replaced the inner once after 5 races. I use the Losi pre-oiled units as well (nice and easy).
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #44
Tech Elite

I usally use 2-3 filters thourgout the day. No matter what the conditions are. I will wash mine only twice then throw them out or give them to someone that will use them after i have. It's only $5 for 2 new filters and $300+ for a motor!!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Kerber View Post
But you drive an Xray, so mechanical failure never happens!
This is very true. In fact the only problem I used to have was my tires comming unglued. And I can't fault Xray for that.