R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast55 View Post
will the grid iron ss hold up for an hour main?softs will only have around 40 percent left on our track surface
They will last if the Softs are 40% still intact however the SS's will probably be down around 30%.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVoltg12 View Post
I run on a hard packed moist clay track indoor in the winter. It has a very fine layer of moist dust on the top. Clay switches are run by most of the fast guys. Would the SS Grid Irons be a good alternative? My switches are getting pretty worn and I'm looking for a good replacement.

FYI - This is for Truggy.

Thanks!
I have yet to run them on an indoor clay track but my guess would be "Yes".

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Old 11-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Quote:
I run on a hard packed moist clay track indoor in the winter. It has a very fine layer of moist dust on the top. Clay switches are run by most of the fast guys. Would the SS Grid Irons be a good alternative? My switches are getting pretty worn and I'm looking for a good replacement.

FYI - This is for Truggy.

Thanks!
The track we run indoors the Clay switches and Raptors are used by a lot of the Truggy guys. One of the guys just got a set of SS city blocks and ran them this weekend. It was the most Dialed truck on the track. The tires were like bubble gum and hooked the track awesome.

I will be testing the SS Grids on my truggy next weekend and will let you know how it goes. I would say the SS Grids would be a great alternative to the Clay Switches.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael#81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

Well thanks for all your comments.

I'm going to order few sets of the SS CityBlocks & set of S City Blocks.
Just that the main track i will use them is if i get in for the Neo10 this year & i know JTebo ran the CityB & hell alot of driver ran these over the GIrons.

But i can always get few sets of GIrons too

Also do they do them glued on rims yet SS version
carlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlin View Post
Hi Guys,

Well thanks for all your comments.

I'm going to order few sets of the SS CityBlocks & set of S City Blocks.
Just that the main track i will use them is if i get in for the Neo10 this year & i know JTebo ran the CityB & hell alot of driver ran these over the GIrons.

But i can always get few sets of GIrons too

Also do they do them glued on rims yet SS version

The premount SS's will be shipping December 8th from AKA.

We will be the first to offer them. (or you can get them right now and we can glue them for you

Old 11-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
The premount SS's will be shipping December 8th from AKA.

We will be the first to offer them. (or you can get them right now and we can glue them for you

Thanks for the offer but i live in the UK.
It probably cost bomb for shipping & taxes
carlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I will be testing the SS Grids on my truggy next weekend and will let you know how it goes. I would say the SS Grids would be a great alternative to the Clay Switches.
Do you have any feedback? I ordered a set but I don't have a race for a couple of weeks.
HiVoltg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #23
Tech Prophet

im wordering though how long does the aka super soft last cause i know other brands that are super soft dont last long at all and there goes $60
esipally in 1/8 buggy
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have any feedback? I ordered a set but I don't have a race for a couple of weeks.
I will let you know after this weekend. I should have all my SS tires in from AKA on Friday and I will be running them on Saturday. I will be testing both the SS Grids and SS City Blocks on both my buggy and truggy and I will let everyone know how they all worked in comparosion to each other.
Michael#81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #25
Tech Master

I ran some ss i-beams and i was hitting the pipe from turning too early, i ran softs before. i prefer gridirons, but wanted to try the i-beams first (my fall back tire) but i will be getting gridirons soon enough. i really like these tires.

btw, i run on a high bite indoor track.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #26
Tech Prophet

have u tried aka crossbrades i heard they work good on a hard packed track and gives u a lot of foward grip they look like crimfighters kind of
love the i beams on a hard packed track city blocks like them sometimes and sometimes i dont
Old 12-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
have u tried aka crossbrades i heard they work good on a hard packed track and gives u a lot of foward grip they look like crimfighters kind of
love the i beams on a hard packed track city blocks like them sometimes and sometimes i dont
I haven't tried crossbraces, and i'm not a big fan of cityblocks or crimefighters. don't know why.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #28
Tech Prophet

cityblocks seem to me work good when the track is moist and hard packed with very little loose dirt espially if u run them on the rear of the buggy now what seems to work good for me when the track is slick and blown out is city blocks in the front and i beams in the rear they really hook up in the rear ,crimefighters they work really good when the track is pretty dry and not a super hard packed track but a mix of clay and loose dirt they hook up big time in the m3 compound
Old 12-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
cityblocks seem to me work good when the track is moist and hard packed with very little loose dirt espially if u run them on the rear of the buggy now what seems to work good for me when the track is slick and blown out is city blocks in the front and i beams in the rear they really hook up in the rear ,crimefighters they work really good when the track is pretty dry and not a super hard packed track but a mix of clay and loose dirt they hook up big time in the m3 compound
yea,,, i know, for some reason i don't like them.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
im wordering though how long does the aka super soft last cause i know other brands that are super soft dont last long at all and there goes $60
esipally in 1/8 buggy
I ran one set of SS Grid Irons the entire weekend at Thunder Alley for the Sidewinder race in truggy. They are still good for club racing or serious practice.

Don't let the name "Super Soft" throw you. They are made from a different rubber composition and not really "softer" in shore hardness.

Their purpose is for damp tracks with cold temps below 70 degrees F. However they worked awesome in near 80 degree temps on a hard yet damp track.