Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Shock and differential rebuild in 8ight-T >

Shock and differential rebuild in 8ight-T

Shock and differential rebuild in 8ight-T

Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Default Shock and differential rebuild in 8ight-T

Hello,

I'm rebuilding shocks in my 8T 1.0 and I've got a question. Is it normal that after 3 liters of fuel (it's about 3/4 of a gallon) in my front shocks there is about 3-4mm (0.1 - 0.15 inch) shortage of oil? Is it a reason to replace all the o-rings or is it normal and i should just put some oil in?

I've got also a question about differentials.
As the season is about to end i'm rebuilding also my diffs (1st time) end i've noticed that bearings on the center diff are in bad condition. They aren't protected by any part so A LOT of dirt sticks to them (i think because of the bearing oil leakage). Is there any possibility to protect these bearings?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

if you're losing oil, go ahead and replace the shock o-rings. you might want to also check the bladder for tears.

as far as the diff bearings go, just replace em with some avids and call it a day. the bearings are pretty much consumables. they'll wear out and you'll have to replace em.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

I have an 8ight-t 2.0 and I have the shock fluid problem sometimes too.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I run 2.0 buggy and truggy and I like to rebuild the diffs and shocks every gallon. I always replacethe bearings on the diffs when I rebuild them and usually don't change the o rings in the shocks until I see the shock wet and leaking. I am using $1 avid revolution bearings on everything but the clutch. At $1 tossing them is no big deal. I can't say I notice my shocks losing oil but maybe they are idk.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Shock oil...

If you notice that the oil is low then you need to take the caps off more often and drain and fill them more often. the orings should be ok after 3/4 gallon.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

I found the bearings lasted better by using O'Donnells O'Lube
Old 11-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you for help.

I purchased Muchmore bearing lube a few days ago (before i've read plod's post). Is it also good (you said that O'Lube is)? How much lube should i pour into a bearing (1/2 of its thickness? more? less?)?

What about ProTek bearings? They are also cheap but what about their quality?

This is not a question connected to this thread but I didn't want to start another one for this simple question...
Is there any difference: (1/2 offset wheel + 0 offset hex) vs. (0 offset wheel + 1/2 offset hex)? I mean for the bearings, suspension arms, etc.

Last edited by Donat; 11-11-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 11-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

I put a drop maybe 2 in bearing's well used too of Muchmore lube .. but I now use Hudy Bearing Grease-Cant beat it!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I run 2.0 buggy and truggy and I like to rebuild the diffs and shocks every gallon. I always replacethe bearings on the diffs when I rebuild them and usually don't change the o rings in the shocks until I see the shock wet and leaking. I am using $1 avid revolution bearings on everything but the clutch. At $1 tossing them is no big deal. I can't say I notice my shocks losing oil but maybe they are idk.
How come you dont use avids in your clutch? What do you use?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Prophet

i never tried avid bearings but i do have a tko cemetric bearing and a high rpm bearing they make and they lasted me the longest out of the losi and others
Old 11-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Regular

And what could you say about these ProTek bearings? It's very important for me as i just had to replace many bearings (after not even 1 gallon). This time i purchased Losi bearings but they're quite expensive ($55 for a set) and i would be very happy if ProTek was quality comparable because they're much cheaper...

How often do you replace bearings e.g. in diffs or clutch? In my diffs bearings were dirty (unfortunately not only outside) after 1 gallon ... is it normal?