R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblgjr View Post
This comment cracked me up though. The guy is right about a 1-piece cooling better; but acting like it's some new idea

4. Roelof - November 10th, 2009 at 22:15

It does not take long until we see a one piece head/combustion chamber, it is the only way to cool the engine at its maximum.
Thanx, I know it is not new, the older RB S-series engines have a one piece head also but only for standard plugs, when using turbo plugs there is no one making a one piece head.

But running in this engine is a piece of cake, just unscrew the head and start with a rich setting to get it on temperature.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebolson View Post
I will pay more to not own a picco. Their customer service has left me feeling violated this week. They got my last $250 and will not get another dime. I know they make good engines but I got jacked.
E

and they violated you how so ? OFNA ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

mebolson, this wasn't the engine that Ofna
received with the internals coated with RTV,
was it? Please fill us in on the history of this
engine and why you feel violated.
rageworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Thanx, I know it is not new, the older RB S-series engines have a one piece head also but only for standard plugs, when using turbo plugs there is no one making a one piece head.

But running in this engine is a piece of cake, just unscrew the head and start with a rich setting to get it on temperature.
Also, some OS .12's had one piece heads for years. I know my good old CZ-Z did.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #20
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageworks View Post
mebolson, this wasn't the engine that Ofna
received with the internals coated with RTV,
was it? Please fill us in on the history of this
engine and why you feel violated.
I will leave it alone.
E

Last edited by mebolson; 11-14-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Deleted due to cooling off.
mebolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You know for the most part I believe that most people will tend to speak poorly about a engine for one of two reasons. One is because the obvious reason they are unhappy with the customer support they needed and did not receive or when it is also different from what they have been used to working with. Second they struggle with the engine instead of learning it or asking questions to the right people. First off hands down the OS line of engines are very good and reliable. Easy to tune. And for the most part make good power. Now I will say this, for 500 bucks for a off road speed I would want to have good power and also the ability to get service parts. This in the past has been a issue. I will say that there are alot of Picco's that run with the speeds as well out there. Also the mentioning of bearing failure kind of gets me a little. Reason being is that the rear engine bearing is taking all the abuse of the engine. The power is supported by the rear bearing for the most part. Engine bearings are not and will not last forever. Without question on this. 5 years ago I would have said it may last half the life. But now with the engines making the power that they do and also the fact that they run for as long as they do I cannot tell you anything other then when the rear bearings wears out just change it. Don't want to change it then don't but you cannot complain about bearings going bad in 2 gallons or so. A little more a little less. I will also say that the nitro has alot to do with the bearing issues. Unfortunately there is some other nitro being used and this is very acidic. It takes it's toll. The Italian engines have always been know to require more input to the needles then the OS. They are and always have been made for a racer that knows to tune the engine. The issue is that there is a large gap on the OS engines and small in the Picco and Nova. The last issue is that the Picco's want to run richer on the bottom needle then the Nova or the OS. Keep this in mind there are alot of good engine tuners out there and also there are alot of people who know how to tune. Understanding the difference will help you with whatever engine you chose or do not chose. Picco is a great engine and also Nova and also OS. But to say one is bad because of something that all have the same issues with is not a good statement to make in my own opinion.
xspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspower View Post
...But to say one is bad because of something that all have the same issues with is not a good statement to make in my own opinion.
Deleted due to cooling off.

Last edited by mebolson; 11-14-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Deleted due to cooling off.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Quote:
First: it was the main bearing.
Second: pieces trashed my piston and sleave.
I also said they make good engines, I got a lemon. Customer support was my biggest gripe.

what pieces thrashed the P+S ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 11-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #24
Tech Master

E

Old 11-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #25
Tech Lord

Quote:
Bearing/retainer/race material.

Strange....Ive ran the stock rear bearing in multiple of my JPX's for 8-10 gallons with no problem's.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
First: it was the main bearing.
Second: pieces trashed my piston and sleave.
I also said they make good engines, I got a lemon. Customer support was my biggest gripe.
No you misunderstood the statement. It was the generalization that people make not your issue in particular. I understand that there can be failures due to the materials as well as the craftsmanship. And if the retainer came apart and let the bearing material up into the sleeve that is not a good issue. And I would say that there has to be something there. But I have also seen fuels blamed alot for other issue's that are not caused by the fuel at all. Please do not think it is directed at you. It was the general thoughts that people have.
xspower is offline   Reply With Quote