R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   practice time (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/343406-practice-time.html)

greenracing 11-10-2009 05:48 PM

practice time

i want to know, what time do i have to spend in practice, to step up in the game... i never practice, and if nothing goes wrong i will take a podium finish in the A main, but i feel that if i practice i can do much better, so, the pro's out there: how many hours per day and days per week a regular guy like me have to spend to go up a notch?

counterman 11-10-2009 06:25 PM

I'm no pro but I do know what you meen. The thing about practice is you will only go as fast as you think you can untill some one goes faster. I try practice with the computer on practice mode. This enables me to go out and try different lines and give me real data to back up what I tried different.

Best is to practice as much as you need. If you want to get real fast you need to race/practice with real fast guys like the top pro's in the nation. Go to more big races and enter the fastest class they will allow you to enter.

tc5 man 11-10-2009 06:33 PM

when i race espially when i only race every other weekend for now that is
i try to get much as i can but i only go out there when theres not a ton load of buggys and truggys and the evil monster trucks out there because u have newbies and kids etc out there and sometimes there brain frezes and broken parts happen i seen it happen to at least 3 guys break during practice diff cases and shock towers . basielly i would recommend u try to get much as u can but only go out there when theres not a whole lot of people on the stand
and test the driving lines see how yours tires are working etc

flame56mx 11-10-2009 06:36 PM

+1
I believe you need to cut the track into sections, and try to concentrate on consistently doing each section well, without major mistakes. Then you will know what it takes to get through every section of the track, instead of looking past part of the track to the "fun" part (triple, etc..) It's important to know how much throttle each section takes, what jumps have lips on the inside or out etc.. Learn the track, and nothing will be a surprise..

greenracing 11-11-2009 04:11 AM

the computer in practice mode is a great idea, i can try to pull that one but on a race day because it is very uncommon here that a track has a computer in a practice day so it's a loss for me. I'm looking to do an agenda if i may call it that way, or a weekly practice schedule. will 1 day a week of wheel time will be enough? i know that 1 day is better than 0 but in an average fast guy, how much tanks and days he put in the rig to be competitive?

thanks

Nitro-Racer* 11-11-2009 05:37 AM

some people require more practice and some others less. its not about how many tanks. the objective is to race your car and feel comfortable with it. learn the track and sooner or later you will be much faster than before. also it is very good to race with the faster racers

ridein04 11-11-2009 05:49 AM

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, The more wheel time you get the faster you will improve, especially early in your RC "career". Try to do your practicing on "practice days" not race days. Too often I have seen guys practice tank after tank on a race day, only to have their clutch or something else go out during the main! Be careful not wear out your car prior to racing, if you practice early on a race day be sure to go back through your car before the Mains!;)

jamiekerr14 11-11-2009 06:55 AM

Im no pro! I have been racing since last Xmass-Well just after... I have had Rc's all my life im 20yrs. cars boats planes helis.. onroad offroad ect. That in itself is a big bonus. As people that have 0 exsperiece struggle to turn in the right direction when 1st going on tracks.. I have been racing at my local club and my 1st summer series I came 3rd-Was in 2nd a few times. And, I have gone from low C to Mid A. Cars have been Hyper 8.5-Changed start of summer to Hyper 9 then changed to a Xray809-Month ago And I can say 70% of that performance increase was track time. My 1st race I won the C-Final by 3 laps Hyper8.5-That was with 2 flameouts-Flipping Go tech:lol: But, As I was on my gap year.. I was down the track once a week.. for a whole day. Which is why I was alot better than most on there 1st race day. And I generally practice.. once every 2-3 weeks I only race at my local in the UK as being at uni struggle to find spare time. But, Even practice 3 times a month if that racing once.. I still finish mid A-Top A.. unless I do poor prep-Which is what lets me down the most. But, As stated before there is no right amount.. if you can afford/have time to do a day a week do it.. or more or less.. But, When you do make it count. Try new lines, setup's... tyres ect.. so your comfortable in all conditions the track could be like.. Take some food drink, table chair.. and enjoy it and relax.. and main thing have fun. As long as your behind the wheel you will be getting better..

And as said above, I try to avoid loads of practice before a race.. I try to -if not raced there before try go there. If not, I will run a tank maybe then-Watch the fast guys.. look at there lines.. listen for throttle break ect.. Instead of running 4 tanks. Wearing bearing's clutch ect.. thats my view.. I almost learn more watching the fast guys then running myself. Watching top pro is equivilent to 1hr or own running! in my view..:D

token 11-11-2009 09:10 AM

Practicing is so much more than going to a track and driving, it gives you an idea of what setup works best for you, tires, camber, toe, diffs, shocks, ect.
But for me the main part of practicing is not just to blow around the track as fast as you can, and thats one of the biggest things I learned this year. But how you learn to drive your buggy or truggy. Learning how to manipulate your ride, learn how to be consistant. Being consistant on your wheels will be surprisinly fast. I try to get to the track 2 to 3 times a week to practice.... With no marshals you will be surpirsed how fast you learn to drive consistantly.

tc5 man 11-11-2009 09:48 AM

yea if your lucky to have a local track to practice on during the week than yea , i basilly just have to practice on race day, i usually watch the fast guys when im turn mashling them to tell when they let off the throttle the thing is with that is they all drive diffrent from each other soits kind of hard to tell but they all use the same racing preety much though.