R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-11-2009, 04:06 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Eventually you will kill any receiver no matter Hv or not only time will tell .its the current that kills the receiver not the voltage so thats why you use a regulator .regulators are more of a current choke than a voltage reg .

It all depends on your battery grid which controls the current outflow to the receiver .your c rating as they say .

Not because i promote the lifep04 battery but it is a better option if your that affraid of the lipo.

i hope this info helps
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

okay so far no one has said they have seen or heard of a fried reciever due to unregulated power this is optimistic.
toofast55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I ran it with the regulator in the box. Damn thing would heat up the RX and it would shutdown...

I wound up mounting the regulator outside the box and I've had zero issues. But I agree with your statement
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'm wondering if this wouldn't get more results it was in the Radio section? Of course I wouldn't have seen it if it were there..

So, no one has seen receiver failure from running LiPo? THis makes me wanna risk it, especially since the MBX6T doesn't have much room in radio box for reg..
Old 11-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #20
Tech Regular

okay i tool out the regulator ran a hot lipo to the receiver and servos and seems okay on bench im going to try it this weekend.running a 4pk to a 604 receiver to a bls351 throttle servo to a 7950 hitec steering servo.i am going to try because no one here has spoken up and said they have personally fried a receiver due to unregulated power.it did wake up the servos i like what i see and alot more room in my mbx6t radio tray.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast55 View Post
okay i tool out the regulator ran a hot lipo to the receiver and servos and seems okay on bench im going to try it this weekend.running a 4pk to a 604 receiver to a bls351 throttle servo to a 7950 hitec steering servo.i am going to try because no one here has spoken up and said they have personally fried a receiver due to unregulated power.it did wake up the servos i like what i see and alot more room in my mbx6t radio tray.

keep us posted buddy......Ive always wanted to make the switch...but have Never had issues with my regulated set-up so ive really had no reason to switch.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

From a official source at this years futaba nitro challenge I was told "officially" that they don't recommend it. Unofficially he was running unregulated so it can be done.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Amoeba Send a message via MSN to Amoeba Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba

Quote:
I've been running unregulated with a 604 and Hitec 7940/7950TH's with no problems at all. As others have mentioned, Futaba doesn't "recommend" you run 2s unregulated through their receivers but many people do so and I have yet to hear about anyone frying their receiver.

You may want to reconsider running unreg with the BLS351 however. I know many heli guys run the 451 unregulated with no problems but they absolutely insist you don't do 2s unreg with the 251. I'm not certain where the 351 falls in terms of voltage capacity but it's something to be cautious about.

Do Not Taunt Happy-Fun Ball
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Yes you are right it will work but for how long only time will tell .It can last 1 hour 1 year or even 2 minutes depends on the electronics and motors and the way they are made .some will last longer than others and some not it all depands.

But would you risk it? with expensive receivers and servos for a few dollars ?You have the opertunity to run lifep04 and save your expensive equipment why wouldnt you do it .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Yes you are right it will work but for how long only time will tell .It can last 1 hour 1 year or even 2 minutes depends on the electronics and motors and the way they are made .some will last longer than others and some not it all depands.

But would you risk it? with expensive receivers and servos for a few dollars ?You have the opertunity to run lifep04 and save your expensive equipment why wouldnt you do it .
The problem with switching to lifep04 is the need for a different charger, in my case at least. My LiPo charger only balances and only does LiPo. It is the HT batteries HT150.. Nice little charger, and perfect for charging reciever, and transmitter batts. Not much good for anything else..
Old 11-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
okay after a day at the track everything went flawless servos were super fast and strong,so far so good i believe i'll continue running this ay until i or someone else has problems with this setup
Old 11-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

nm
adirkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #28
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

man toofast your braver than me keep us up to date
on how things go down the road you are now the
guinea pig for all the rest of us 4pk owners good luck
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
man toofast your braver than me keep us up to date
on how things go down the road you are now the
guinea pig for all the rest of us 4pk owners good luck
Us 3PK guys also..
Old 11-16-2009, 05:39 AM   #30
Tech Rookie

I think the answer is simple.

There are people saying it can blow, people saying it won't. Don't risk damaging the receiver and do one of the following:

1. Run LiPo with a regulator. And LRP LiPo with their heavy duty regulator is a good combo.

2. Run the new LiFe batteries, 6.6V will be fine for it.

Easy as that! I just don't think you should run LiPo unregulated if you are worried, go regulated or LiFe.
Futaba 4PK & BLS
Ry @ JE Spares is offline   Reply With Quote