R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   SANDBAGGING AT BIG RACES!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/343015-sandbagging-big-races.html)

turn marshall 11-09-2009 09:22 AM

SANDBAGGING AT BIG RACES!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused:Lets get it straight if you take a sponsor ship do you become an expert ??If you are sponsored by one of the chassis companies ,arent you supposed to either turn Pro or race Expert whats the rule ?????? Shouldnt there be a way of seperating the people who pay full price for their parts and dont get 50% off !!!![/COLOR]

fatdaddy 11-09-2009 09:29 AM

welcome to one of the biggest debates in R/C racing

imo anybody with any type of official sponsorship should at least not race in the novice or sportsman classes. goto the intermediate, pro, or expert

but people are trophy whores. what do you do :mad:

Racecrafter 11-09-2009 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by turn marshall (Post 6583430)
:confused:Lets get it straight if you take a sponsor ship do you become an expert ??If you are sponsored by one of the chassis companies ,arent you supposed to either turn Pro or race Expert whats the rule ?????? Shouldnt there be a way of seperating the people who pay full price for their parts and dont get 50% off !!!![/COLOR]

YES!

If you have a "chassis" sponsor of anykind you are an Expert or Pro.

Personally I'd like to see it go even deeper.

Sportsman No sponsors what so ever. Not even "Dans Honey dippers" or what ever.

Intermediate any percentage sponsors except chassis. This includes engines tires and "Dans honey dippers"

Expert This is for the percentage chassis sponsors and 100% for other products. Including Dans honey dippers that may pay your entries or travel or???

Pro Is wide open. Get all that you can for sponsorship. (As most of them do)

KThatcher 11-09-2009 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by fatdaddy (Post 6583452)
welcome to one of the biggest debates in R/C racing

imo anybody with any type of official sponsorship should at least not race in the novice or sportsman classes. goto the intermediate, pro, or expert

but people are trophy whores. what do you do :mad:

I agree with you that if you have any chassis sponsor you should race ameture/intermmediata or above.. IMO RC needs a Pro-am class that is between pro and amature, there are alot of fast guys who kill it in amature but dont wanna race pro cause then they have to race the top racers.

However in any type of competition racing there will always be sandbagging..

tiger200350 11-09-2009 10:05 AM

So, expert and open class is the same thing?

turn marshall 11-09-2009 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by KThatcher (Post 6583526)
I agree with you that if you have any chassis sponsor you should race ameture/intermmediata or above.. IMO RC needs a Pro-am class that is between pro and amature, there are alot of fast guys who kill it in amature but dont wanna race pro cause then they have to race the top racers.

However in any type of competition racing there will always be sandbagging..

So this is crazyyyy you should have seen the intermediate class at the Sidewinder guys that raced pro at other races were in this class it should be like you have to show a membership card and thats what says what class you are,, period just like ABA in BMX or like AMA in Supercross .The race promoters know and they dont care this is killing the HOBBY

NitroLuver 11-09-2009 10:31 AM

I do think if you have chassis sponsorship you should at least run amatuer/intermediate however just because you race for a team doesn't make you fast I am a prime example lol(I do run intermediate class though)

Alan D. 11-09-2009 10:33 AM

The Hobby aspect to me is playing with an r/c in your backyard or at a club race. Expect stupid things at bug races. Most want James Stewart to just quit racing because he's to fast :lol:

Some of the people I know ran the intermediate class and run in amateur on weekly clubs races. The top three though, they look like they should have ran pro/expert.

turn marshall 11-09-2009 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by NitroLuver (Post 6583660)
I do think if you have chassis sponsorship you should at least run amatuer/intermediate however just because you race for a team doesn't make you fast I am a prime example lol(I do run intermediate class though)

Everyone should race together no class seperation !!!!Then watch all the prima donnas lose their minds then its survival of the fittest Even Jimmy Babbcock gave the green light to hack during a race,during his drivers meeting !!! That would be just crazy I know but fun to watch!!!! It would definetly put whtever media there is more in touch with the average JOE!:lol:

Frank L 11-09-2009 10:45 AM

This is a good question. I currently have 2 sponsorships, 1 with a fuel company where I pay cost and the other with a hobby store where I receive a discount. In both cases the discount equals about 15% so my question... Is my type of sponsorship the same as a guy that gets a 50% discount on parts, fuel etc...

I run in the intermediate class and usually finish in the top 5. I dont click off expert lap times compared to the guys in my area that run expert so I feel that I am in the correct class. Any comments please.

323 R/C Racing 11-09-2009 10:45 AM

R/C Racing should do as it is done in dirt track racing win a race in that class you most move up it's that simple. But i have not been to a track yet that has a rule in place except this sponorship rule and that's crazy in real racing you have guys with sponorship at the hobby level and that fine because he is placed in a class based on his driving skills not his salesmanship!!

Alan D. 11-09-2009 10:50 AM

People should be placed according to their skill level as said before. Sponsorship doesn't mean you're fast. Companies sponsor drivers for different reasons than just being fast. Some one could be sponsored and drive like a novice. Should he race pro/expert or novice? Most would ignore the fact he has a sponsorship and tell him to race in novice.

Semple 11-09-2009 10:54 AM

I think it's hard to say. Around here there are a lot of chassis companies that are sponsoring big 5-10 man teams. Most of the team members will not win an a-main at all, I think it's more just to corral a group of guys and make them your customers and only your customers. If company A can sponsor 10 guys and give them 30% off of every company A product, they're still making a lot of profit, and they have 10 exclusive customers.

That way everyone wins. Guys get high on the fact that they're sponsored, and rep the company very well. The company sells a butt-load of product to 10 guys, and they get really good representation at the track.

....but a good portion of the drivers will not fair so well in expert.

My $0.02. I could be totally wrong, as this is mostly speculation based on my observations. My point is simply that it's hard to throw all these chassis sponsored guys in with the pros or even experts. Whomever is in charge of sponsorships at these companies that are sponsoring 10 man teams in each region is brilliant.

My point is that it's hard to throw all these chassis sponsored guys in with the pros or even experts.

323 R/C Racing 11-09-2009 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Alan D. (Post 6583733)
People should be placed according to their skill level as said before. Sponsorship doesn't mean you're fast. Companies sponsor drivers for different reasons than just being fast. Some one could be sponsored and drive like a novice. Should he race pro/expert or novice? Most would ignore the fact he has a sponsorship and tell him to race in novice.

Exactly Right!! I raced dirt track for years and i worked my up thur the ranks and it was my driving that got me to the late models not my sponors.

losi8ight832 11-09-2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by turn marshall (Post 6583430)

why should they have to seperate people who have sponsorship from the ones who dont? does it really make that big of a difference? if i am racing with someone that has a sponsorship form a big company and they beat me its not cause of the discount on parts. i think all this is just B.S.....my brother races MX and beats others all the time with big sponsors,and he pays for everything on his own.