Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
SANDBAGGING  AT BIG RACES!!!!!!!!!!!! >

SANDBAGGING AT BIG RACES!!!!!!!!!!!!

SANDBAGGING AT BIG RACES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

This is why I say screw classes, just run everyone together, sort based on lap times... run again... sort again. The fast guys will naturally get lumped together by the end of the third qualifier and everyone is racing with their appropriate skill set for their main. No need to over complicate matters.

The other thing that trips me out is how everyone claims they make a main even if you are running in the J main.

When I raced BMX, making a main at a national really meant something. There was only one main for the fastest 8 guys in your class. Everyone else had to watch on the sidelines. Sure, you got some respect by making it out of the motos, through the 1/8s, 1/4s, and even if you got blown away in the semis and missed the main. Not an easy accomplishment, but racing a "main" was definitely bragging rights and not something that everyone got to do just for paying their entry fee.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The way you present yourself will get you sponsored a lot faster than your results will.
I agree sandbagging was out of control at the Sidewinder race, its pretty obvious when you look at the qualifying times. People that made the A main at Nitrocross in intermediate dropped down to amature for Sidewinder
Old 11-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

i dont race RC's but i do race lawnmowers. and sometimes we get some sponsorship (dad gets sponsorship for the local fair racing) and if there's money they will split it up... but we dont get jack other than that..

my opinion- if you have a sponsorship you should be racing in a different class, but it doesnt make you an expert.. so what ya'll are saying is that if i got a sponsorship for parts or something and went RC racing even though i've never raced before that would make me an expert??? like come on... thats bull.. the guys that have put the time and money and have been racing for like at least 5 years should be considered "experts", NOT some joe schmoe thats just starting out.. its not fair to the guys that have a ton of money invested and race every weekend..

now i dont race lawnmowers for money, we do it because we want to, i'd love to have a sponsorship on parts but thats not gonna happen.. a weekend of camping and racing isnt cheap either..

like edumakated said they place us according to lap times and put all the slow guys together, medium guys together and fast guys together to keep it even. we were racing at the local fair this year and my dad is the organizer of the racing, and i won 1 heat and i got bumped up with the BIG boys there was a two 12hp (me and another guy), one 17hp and a 440 sled engine (known as an outlaw) and so there was no friggin way im gonna win it..

Last edited by Jaz240; 11-09-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: to many curse words
Old 11-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with most comments...Not all sponsored drivers are fast, some have the gift of gab when it comes to a companys parts or product. But the race directors should have the balls to stop the sandbagging specially if they are familiar with the racers in the event, once they start qualifing they will run as fast as they can and thats when the directors should call them out and move them up to another class.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Edumakated
This is why I say screw classes, just run everyone together, sort based on lap times... run again... sort again. The fast guys will naturally get lumped together by the end of the third qualifier and everyone is racing with their appropriate skill set for their main. No need to over complicate matters.
Only problem with this format is for example, let's say Truhe breaks in all three round of qualifying. By this format he would have to race the novice guys. See why we have classes.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alan D.
Only problem with this format is for example, let's say Truhe breaks in all three round of qualifying. By this format he would have to race the novice guys. See why we have classes.
Sooooo...he should get preferential treatment regardless that he did not finish any of his qualifiers?
Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

y2k- The entire thread has been about making races fair has it not? If Mike Truhe a world caliber drive breaks in all of his qualifiers (this goes to all pros by the way just using Mike as an example) then how is it fair to have a ROAR national champion drive against the novice drives. Doesn't seem fair to me.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The only problem with the "lump by laptime" method is that people could truly sandbag. Just run slow during qualifiers and then you'll be in the lower main. The way to do it is in the prizes, if any. Pros get the best and pay out to the top 5 or so. The Open class gets the next best and then sportsman gets little if anything.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

y2k- The entire thread has been about making races fair has it not? If Mike Truhe a world caliber drive breaks in all of his qualifiers (this goes to all pros by the way just using Mike as an example) then how is it fair to have a ROAR national champion drive against the novice drives. Doesn't seem fair to me.
I guess a Pro/Invite group, then everyone else by lap times. If a A main driver wants to sandbag to ensure he wins the B main.....
Old 11-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If he broke, then tough sh*t. He gotta race with with us hacks until he pulls it together. He can bump up remember (isn't what that is for anyway?) Everybody has on days and off days.

The beauty of lumping everyone together is that 1) it is truly random, so no sandbagging. 2) the fast guys will rise to the top so by the end, everyone is racing at their appropriate level for the race.

Keep it simple.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

He can't bump up if he qualifies for a novice class!

Just face it either race directors directors do the sorting as they see fit or people continue to lie about their skill level. Any other method has to many variables that could land some one in the wrong class.

We need a novice, amateur, expert classes so everyone can fun and try to make it to the amain in their own respective classes. It's no fun racing your buddies in the Y main under a different system. We all started playing with these cars to have fun and when we race we want it to be fair and fun.

Go ahead and hack a pro. You'll run out of parts before he does.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2009 reedy race

I like what they did at the reedy race...............

The mod division got split up in qualifying, by taking the top 20 or so qualifier putting them in a PRO class and leaving rest in the normal class.............................
Old 11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

My brother says im a sandbager
Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Yes it is frustrating when someone is running in the e main with you but can make it to the b main.... And it cost you your legit bump up to run the d main.... But the root cause of my situation is me, I need to get faster and practice makes perfect

Not saying that there should not be a system, maybe one day those over priced amb's can be more useful and log a guys rating for a season so there is no question to the capability, if you win you will be moving up. Besides who wants to hang out and win if you do not improve your skills. I do not want to be good because someone else is that bad, I want to be good because I am faster than the guy next to me legit.

I won a trophy race for sportsman 1/8th buggy. But now I will run with the fast guys even if it means I am at the back, I will not get faster by winning, I will get faster by loosing to someone faster than me.

I think someone stated the other cause (beside not being fast enough yourself) is honesty, people kid themselves that they are good but do not want to be challenged. Like someone else said half of the fun (story)is being the underdog, tell me I can't do it and look out. JMO

From a rookie who runs a legit last main

Again JMO
Old 11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

The person the said racers need to be honest about there skill level hit the nail on the head. I think the best way to deal with sand bagging is three fold, 1 as a racer. Be honest. race in the class you belong in, and 2 The race directors should step in when guys are saying there NOVICE, and they have the same number of laps as INTERMEDIATE, and 3 when we see guy's SANDBAGGING, call em out, even if a whole class has to mutiny and make the director make a decision. my vote throw the baggers off the drivers stand.I'm not angry just saying.

Scott

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.