R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chester View Post
Sure, kinda like Porsche's are toy cars,
Got one... an old 944. I don't drive it to work. It's a toy. It needs an engine swap, I'm thinking aluminum Chevy V8. But... I can ride in that toy.

Quote:
Motorcycles are Toys, etc etc.
Got one of them too... a customized Fatboy. Oh... technically I have 2... a Goldwing that I'm converting to a trike for my dad. Hmmm... don't ride it to work every day either... it's a toy. I can ride on it though...

Quote:
To someone they are toys, to others they are serious, high performance feats of engineering and are Racing Vehicles.
I agree with all of that except the word "vehicle." It won't carry you. It IS a toy. It is also a serious, high performance feat of engineering... and a racing machine... but not a full scale vehicle, therefore... it is a toy.

Quote:
It's not their reality because you say it is, its only your perception of their reality. They are what they are IN YOUR WORLD, but not in everyone's.
In my world, I'm too big to ride in it... so it is a toy.
I'm not sure what scale your world is in. I don't care if you don't agree when I call it a toy...

and for the other folks... this gentleman hasn't offended me, and I didn't take anything he said as a personal attack- just a debate about viewpoint and terminology.

And I'm sorry if you don't care for my definition of what they are... I don't mean to offend... I just think... well, we're big boys, playing with expensive toys. Some of us are good at it (not me) and some of us aren't. We measure our skills against each other... skills in driving, tuning engines, setting up chassis, strategy... just like full scale racing, so I DO see your point.

Quote:
I get it that you think this is all a silly game. Since that is so, why the hell are you in here bickering about something so juvenile then?
I don't think it is a SILLY game. I think TENNIS is a silly game. This is a lot more fun and exciting... but yes, it is a game- a competition, whatever you wish to call it. But we race toy cars. Not real ones (done that) but scaled down ones- very well engineered (well, in most cases anyway) high performance ones... but they are still toys.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Anybody that is not racing pro and wins a race is going to be labeled a sandbagger. People always think they should be the fastest in thier class, and if they are not, they blame it on sandbagging. The song remains the same.
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #108

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

while i dislike nitro, i thought this topic was an 'electric' problem? wth happened?

R

PS-i do think its funny when track's post pix of their podiums each wk and the top 3 in novice or intermediate have guys w/company shirts, radios, and fuel jugs on display.
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #109
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
Anybody that is not racing pro and wins a race is going to be labeled a sandbagger. People always think they should be the fastest in thier class, and if they are not, they blame it on sandbagging. The song remains the same.
You nailed it!
Kalgard Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
all around the world same song..........I do find it funny how some people feel that everyone who kills it at one single race should step up but In my case I feel like that becuase I was having a horrible weekend then on the way home I come to my senses
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #111
Tech Master

Bahh..Race where you think you can place, If you are a fast guy, race with the fast guys, if you think you are intermediate, run there, if you want to run Sportsmen, do so, Really, at the end of the day, this is all you can say...

I won the Sportsmen Class!
I Won the Intermediate Class!
I Won the Pro Class!

So...Whats More exciting when you take to you buddies?

I won the Sportsmen Class?
I placed 5th in the Intermediate Class!
I Was 25th Pro Class!

Where do you stack up? I race the class I feel suited for at a large event, If I think I can Qualify in the fast brackets, but win the intermediate, I have a choice to make, plus, someone may be really fast and still running underclass, cause they have not maxed out yet,(Never won) its all a puzzle, either put together all the pieces and move on..or come play with me..if you feel like I stole your line in intermediate, pass me, or shut up, If I passed you, sucks donut? Its racin..At every sport there is someone better than you runnin in the same class, they are just the ones that are about ready to move up, or out, keep racin, you will get your chance.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #112
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Got one... an old 944. I don't drive it to work. It's a toy. It needs an engine swap, I'm thinking aluminum Chevy V8. But... I can ride in that toy.

Got one of them too... a customized Fatboy. Oh... technically I have 2... a Goldwing that I'm converting to a trike for my dad. Hmmm... don't ride it to work every day either... it's a toy. I can ride on it though...

I agree with all of that except the word "vehicle." It won't carry you. It IS a toy. It is also a serious, high performance feat of engineering... and a racing machine... but not a full scale vehicle, therefore... it is a toy.

In my world, I'm too big to ride in it... so it is a toy.
I'm not sure what scale your world is in. I don't care if you don't agree when I call it a toy...

and for the other folks... this gentleman hasn't offended me, and I didn't take anything he said as a personal attack- just a debate about viewpoint and terminology.

And I'm sorry if you don't care for my definition of what they are... I don't mean to offend... I just think... well, we're big boys, playing with expensive toys. Some of us are good at it (not me) and some of us aren't. We measure our skills against each other... skills in driving, tuning engines, setting up chassis, strategy... just like full scale racing, so I DO see your point.

I don't think it is a SILLY game. I think TENNIS is a silly game. This is a lot more fun and exciting... but yes, it is a game- a competition, whatever you wish to call it. But we race toy cars. Not real ones (done that) but scaled down ones- very well engineered (well, in most cases anyway) high performance ones... but they are still toys.
Well said, Yep, I race toys, For fun, Its great to win, its fun to play.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #113
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Someone allways steals my milk crate or empty 5 gallon bucket, so I carry a couple sandbags up to stand on. Things tend to not disappear when they weigh more than 50 pounds.

Truest info in the thread.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #114
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to camocowboy
Default AMB

I like the idea of all race results being submitted to a national organization. This combined with evaluation at big events will allow a racers progress to be tracked and their rating changed accordingly. As far as the race directors, I think it is their choice to run this as a non money making business. Most other organizers of events take a portion of the pot (usually 20-50%) for their trouble. Since we choose to not put up any serious money to enter or to run for big cash payouts at the lower levels, there is not really anything for them to take.

I do agree that doing something like that would make the sport more intense and could turn away potential new comers that would feel threatened. It would also take away some of the hobby aspect.
#92 Greg Singletary
Punched R/C Productions - Ascendancy Racing - Byrons Fuel - JGO Paint - The Nitro Pit - One Hobbies Shop and INDOOR RACEWAY
camocowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #115
Tech Initiate

Quote:
That's GREATNESS! Ron bought one of those because we were calling him sandbagger. When he moved up to open, we picked a successor- and handed it off to Scott Stanley at the Bossier City RC Pro race. Scott will move up this year... we'll see who gets it now!

Very Nice! I'm working on an updated version, I'll send one out after I get the tester in.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #116
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Default Something that bugs me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred0988 View Post
should a team manager running intermediate laptimes(like could tq the intermediate class) be running in sportsman?
For lack of any consistency across the racing scene, Intermediate and Sportsmen classes are the same level. This is just what I propose for this conversation. They are not Novice nor are they Expert.... Hence Intermediate/Sportsmen.
Everyone feels they need to call it something different. I say this just for this discussion.

If he (the racer in question) can compete in the top 25% of his region and has been established that way among the ranked drivers then he might need to move to Open/Expert.
In this example, or IMO, if he wants his sponsors identified to give them credit then he must run Open/Expert. If the RDs and media would quit giving props to sponsors and support for classes less than Open/Expert then his incentive would be to move up in class.
Think about it.... Why would a sponsor want to help someone they could get no recognition from? They wouldn't unless the kid is a wheel in the making. There again, without the recognition, the incentive is to move up in class.

You are starting to see this as ROAR is changing and adopting methods and procedures along these lines. If you are an Intermediate/Sportsman driver.... or something to that effect, you must run no stickers on your body. This is extreme but it is the same process. IMO I'm just getting at announcers and media coverage.

My .02.......
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #117
Tech Elite

Well what happens at races where they have 3 classes - INVITE - OPEN - NOVICE,Sportsman or Intermediate

The fast guys get invited to run, not all of the chassis sponsored will be invited to run that class so that leaves them in OPEN, and some of you guys "think" that you are at that level (PRO) because at club races thats what you race, but you have to figure on a National or State level you might not be. I do not think that all chassis sponsored racers should run pro. The same as I feel that some guys that are NOT sponsored by any thing SHOULD run PRO...See theres alot of people that go to more club races than big races and when they finally get a chance to go to a BIG race they find out that they actually suck and all the hot air deflates their BIG head and then try to maintain face by blaming everyone else and making excuses for why they did soooooo poorly only making the G Main....... If you be honest with your self and put in the track time that other put in to be better - you will be better.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #118
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Somebody has to be an "also ran".

Trick Graphics--see spdrac430 on this forum for all your painting needs

Team Pit Racers-Fastest Guys In The Pits!
joelwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #119
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwhite View Post
Somebody has to be an "also ran".
Bah... Somebody has to be LAST. I usually volunteer for that, but give others the opportunity to take it away from me.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Quote:
Bah... Somebody has to be LAST. I usually volunteer for that, but give others the opportunity to take it away from me.
LOL