R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default NEW CLASS "PRO SPORTSMAN"

Thats what we ended up calling some of the guys that run sportsman in our series.
They consistently ran speeds that would put them in the top three to five in the pro class. You just need to keep busting thier balls about it. One guy was being called Bagger Vance by the end fo the series. Suppossedly they will move up next year.

Last edited by JonnyW; 11-09-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: grahmmer
JonnyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroLuver View Post
I do think if you have chassis sponsorship you should at least run amatuer/intermediate however just because you race for a team doesn't make you fast I am a prime example lol(I do run intermediate class though)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
I think it's hard to say. Around here there are a lot of chassis companies that are sponsoring big 5-10 man teams. Most of the team members will not win an a-main at all, I think it's more just to corral a group of guys and make them your customers and only your customers. If company A can sponsor 10 guys and give them 30% off of every company A product, they're still making a lot of profit, and they have 10 exclusive customers.

That way everyone wins. Guys get high on the fact that they're sponsored, and rep the company very well. The company sells a butt-load of product to 10 guys, and they get really good representation at the track.

....but a good portion of the drivers will not fair so well in expert.

My $0.02. I could be totally wrong, as this is mostly speculation based on my observations. My point is simply that it's hard to throw all these chassis sponsored guys in with the pros or even experts. Whomever is in charge of sponsorships at these companies that are sponsoring 10 man teams in each region is brilliant.

My point is that it's hard to throw all these chassis sponsored guys in with the pros or even experts.
Well said !!
turn marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

Default This should be the format!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
YES!

If you have a "chassis" sponsor of anykind you are an Expert or Pro.

Personally I'd like to see it go even deeper.

Sportsman No sponsors what so ever. Not even "Dans Honey dippers" or what ever.

Intermediate any percentage sponsors except chassis. This includes engines tires and "Dans honey dippers"

Expert This is for the percentage chassis sponsors and 100% for other products. Including Dans honey dippers that may pay your entries or travel or???

Pro Is wide open. Get all that you can for sponsorship. (As most of them do)
New format at sign ups all in favor say I???
turn marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #19
Tech Master

I vote against the new entry form I can't keep up with the experts Intermediate is hard enough thank you.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #20
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D. View Post
People should be placed according to their skill level as said before. Sponsorship doesn't mean you're fast. Companies sponsor drivers for different reasons than just being fast. Some one could be sponsored and drive like a novice. Should he race pro/expert or novice? Most would ignore the fact he has a sponsorship and tell him to race in novice.
This is me! I just started racing about a year ago after 11 years of bashing. I have an outgoing personality and I am very enthusiastic about the hobby and the products I use. Answer RC made me a team driver based on my promotion of their product and my willingness to help my fellow driver. After a year my driving still sucks and I still race in Novice class. Racing to me is about having fun and being competitive. I could bump up to the next level and come in last every race but that's not fun to me. I enjoy the battles I have with other racers who drive on the same level as me. When the time comes that I win every race and its not fun anymore I will move up to the next class. I have been approached by other potential sponsors based solely on my love for the sport, not because I am a fast driver. If I was forced to race with other sponsored drivers I would get my butt kicked and would probably shed a more negative light on certain sponsors. I agree with the thread starter though, racers should have a classification card so the racers are even and people cant sandbag. I wouldnt get into a boxing ring with Mike Tyson so why would I race with guys who are so much faster than me...Unfortunately that does not work both ways, as I am sure Mike Tyson would love to fight me for $20 Million
Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyW View Post
Thats what we ended up calling some of the guys that run sportsman in our series.
They consistently ran speeds that would put them in the top three to five in the pro class. You just need to keep busting thier balls about it. One guy was being called Bagger Vance by the end fo the series. Suppossedly they will move up next year.
this one i love PRO SPORTSMAN class

if you wanna be completely fair , 1st Qual is your class determiner . the heats and classes are designated by a time ( lap times and overall timed run) chosen by the director(s) . that is THE most fair way to do it period !!!

we all know who the superfast are and they are pro , they should be there own class , if you wanna try your hand at winning against those guys , have fun cause you are more than likely gonna get your ass punted off the track . they are not the most friendly drivers all the time there are a few that are fairly courteous though

tell ryan i said HI jimmy

.02cents
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to DavidR

In my opinion class seperation should have NOTHING to do with sponsorship.

It's about skill folks!

If you're a novice driver, run Novice.

If you're a sportsman driver, run Sportsman.

If you're an expert driver, run expert.

Pro class... Well none of us are named Drake, Cavalerri or Tebo... So I doubt we have to worry about that.

Rules should state... If you've won a certain percentage of your recent entries into said class you are then required to bump up.

Say little Johnny WINS 3 out of 5 of his last races in Novice. He now has to bump to sportsman.

Say little Timmy hasn't won anything in the novice class... LET HIM STAY THERE till he is faster than the other guys in that class.

This is how the class seperation should be done... Should have ZERO to due with sponsorship.
DavidR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I say throw everyone together and let God sort 'em out. Keep it simple.

If racing had any kind of reasonable organized AND recognized membership, it could also be like BMX was when I raced. You had a membership card that had your level and that is what you raced at national events. In order to race "Pro" you had to get a national ranking in the expert class. Although many experts had full and partial factory sponsorships.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

we have that issue here in FL some thing serious. Florida has got lot of fast non big named guys who carry legit sponsorships. Every time they go to a big race. I.E. SIC or PNB or any other race where money or prizes are involved. these homos race the sportsman or intermediate class. its sad that they call them says pro or carry sponsorships but race the unskilled like me. just to get free motor or cash.

so i set a plan in motion that has been working great for me. i bring my laptop with me every where i race where cash is involved and show the race directors these homos and time sheets and or the company they race for web page. then when they see these liars and cheats the immediately put them in pro. or my favorite is going to RC-signup and trolling there then i just send list to the director.

call me a punk or a snitch. thats fine but im not paying good money to lose to ass holes with a bank roll. hobby shop sponsors too. ill get all of you
OCKyosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #25
Tech Adept

I like allot of the ideas that are being brought up, I think the race directors need to be more involved and move people up to the next class when there obviously faster than the class there running in. and vise versa if a guy enters into intermediate and isnt keeping up move him back down to novice.
As for sponsorship, if there balistically fast and consistent hello Mr or Mrs Expert, if there an average Joe, putt em where there track times dictate.

Scott
rc_racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I run the highest class no matter what,(besides invite) Id rather be last in pro than win the sportsman A.
My driving isnt the best as I dont practice enough but I can put lap times down just as fast as anyone else,I just make rookie mistakes such as cutting in to early or pushing a little wide so my consistancy is off. I feel I learn more running with the super fast guys, If I cant practice might as well learn as much as I can on the track.
HaulinBass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

l3asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

OCKyosho, it is sad that you actually have to go that far to make the races fair, but I guess somebody has to do it.

Sandbagging is not going to stop until racers start being honest with their skill level, and Race directors put their foot down.

I personally would get bored if no one pushed me during a race. That trophy doesn’t look as good without a hard fought story to go with it.

My .02
tiger200350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

I would think some of the sponsors might be concerned that their drivers they give discounted parts to are running in the lesser classes.....

Then again it may to just promote a win regardless of the class.

(I am sponsored by )
Old 11-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #30
Tech Regular

I am a huge fan of having 2 classes. Those would be "Invite" and "Open." I think this is the best format. If you are good enough to get invited, great, if not, you race with everyone else. I also like how ROAR does it...everyone in the same class. With the current setup and so many classes it just thins out the field and you will always have sandbaggers. All I know is that the "Intermediate" class @ the Sidewinder race had quite a few racers with really nice sponsor sheets. Since there aren't any real guidelines I guess that is perfectly fine.