Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do my servos keep frying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

that is so weird. i've had my 8b for a long while and i've never lost a servo. i've had airtronics and hitec for my throttle servos and none of them have failed. my 8t that i had also didn't have any issues. i'm super anal when setting it up though. i have a friend who has a 1.0 bug and he loses a servo every race day, it's crazy. i tried to set it up for him but i had a difficult time since he was using an aftermarket horn and it wouldn't allow me get the angle right. i told him to get rid of it, but of course he won't listen. oh well.

are you guys using the stock horn and the correct insert with the right teeth count for the servo? also, are you guys using the spacers as instructed in the manual? rubber grommets and screws with washers and not screwing it down too tight? EPAs set so that it's not overstressing the servo? neutral point not being overstressed by the throttle spring?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rememberthis
I am running a losi 8ight 2.0 with spektrum dx3s controller. I did make some adjustments to my endpoints, but I cannot confirm i adjusted them correctly as I am still fairly new to all this.
a losi go through servo ? unheard of

i suggest to find a very knowledgeable rc guy in your area and he should be able to trouble shoot and help you out . if you dont have any local then post pics if your setup and guysd here will try to help as best as possible
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
I had a 2.0B....my tx epa's and carb linkage setup was dialed and checked by all the fast guys at my track and I still managed to lose a HiTec 5955.
thats cause you suck !!!!!

j/kiddin bro

lost 5998 servos but never either a 5955 or 7955 to date

i had/have some 5998tg servos in my buggy for over two seasons , also have some old 5945mg servos in a practice truck that still work flawless and are still tight .
Old 11-03-2009, 01:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
thats cause you suck !!!!!

j/kiddin bro

lost 5998 servos but never either a 5955 or 7955 to date

i had/have some 5998tg servos in my buggy for over two seasons , also have some old 5945mg servos in a practice truck that still work flawless and are still tight .

any pics of my internals yet Mr.?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

</sarcasm>
Old 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i suggest to find a very knowledgeable rc guy in your area and he should be able to trouble shoot and help you out . if you dont have any local then post pics if your setup and guys here will try to help as best as possible

Solid advice....exactly what i was thinking.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000
When you adjust your throttle, you want to adjust the end point while you are pulling full throttle, set your epa around 50% throttle, and with your airfilter off, see how far that opens your carb. If it opens all the way, then check to see if the carb is pulling on the motor and putting tension on it. If it is, then you lower your epa. If the slide carb is not fully opened, then increase the percentage until it opens all the way. After you have it open all the way, make sure the motor is not being pulled by the carb and servo at full throttle. You want the slide to open, but not to pull the entire motor. The easiest way to see it is if you put the truck on your starter box or something pretty solid. Pull the throttle and see if the cooling head moves. If it does, then you have too much throttle. If it stays put, then you are set. If you are just starting out and the track is pretty tame, lower you throttle epa so that the vehicle is more controllable. The only time you would want to have full power is if you have jumps where you need full power to clear. If this is the case, then you will need to learn throttle control while you learn to drive.
I wanted to add that just checking if the throttle linkage doesn't pulls on the entire motor might not be the complete method of setting your throttle linkage EPA. In addition to that, at full throttle you should be able to pull the throttle linkage out further an additional 1-2mm. If you can't and it doesn't pull back at all, you should back off another few clicks on your EPA so you have some play between full throttle on your transmitter and full mechanical throttle.

This is to compensate for chassis flex. If your pulling full throttle and there is no play, it will stress your servo when your chassis flexes, if the flex happens to be a twisting motion between the motor and the throttle servo. This can blow a servo over time.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Only time I've lost a throttle servo on a Losi was a JR 8800S that I didn't have set up properly. I killed a Airtronics 94358 on the steering, but I'm not particularly surprised. That servo never really seemed up to the task. It actually caught fire.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rememberthis
I just fried a JR 9100 servo on my throttle. This is the second servo in the past couple months granted the first one was poor quality. Anyway, I saw smoke coming from the servo seconds before it died. It got stuck at 3/4 throttle so i had the pleasure of chasing my car around the track before smashing it into a wall to finally get a hold of it. Now on my controller the throttle servo setting it set to "reverse" could this be a possible cause for burning this servo out? (the reverse setting on my controller allows for the servo to function is its normal manner) Also, i did not have to use the reverse setting until i bound my controller to another car. (this car has steering, throttle and aux all in the normal positions). Thanks for reading.
theres been some real good advise in this thread and id use it and also grab your losi linkage set up manual. its all black and white in the losi rtr&race roller boxes when there bought new and can be copied off the losi website. only servo iv ever had issues with out of the 10 8ight vehicles iv had was the very first rtr 8t i bought new in box. i burnt a 270 on throttle. my point is i read that setup manual over and over til i got it right. iv seen some of the most avid racers lose servos because there not set up correctly. and if you walk around the track youll see incorrectly setup throttle linkages all the time. if you pull the throttle or push for break and theres noise then somthing needs changed or adjusted. you cant even hear my servos move. they are so smooth steering and throttle. if i could hear them id go as far as to take them apart and mess with the gears, thats extreme but can solve probs. noise=issues.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by razo125
I wanted to add that just checking if the throttle linkage doesn't pulls on the entire motor might not be the complete method of setting your throttle linkage EPA. In addition to that, at full throttle you should be able to pull the throttle linkage out further an additional 1-2mm. If you can't and it doesn't pull back at all, you should back off another few clicks on your EPA so you have some play between full throttle on your transmitter and full mechanical throttle.

This is to compensate for chassis flex. If your pulling full throttle and there is no play, it will stress your servo when your chassis flexes, if the flex happens to be a twisting motion between the motor and the throttle servo. This can blow a servo over time.
+1 Why do losi 8s have so many probs with throttle servos?I have not owned one so just asking.What is so different about an 8s throttle set up that would cause so many problems?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

any one?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

end-points... polarity
Old 11-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Thats what was wrong w/ mine anyway...
Old 11-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Tech Addict

Slayyer Had a losi and came over and asked if i had a servo horn for his hi-tec, I centered the servo and put on a new horn. the next thing i know is smoke came out of the servo.... he did not have the end points set properly and the servo horn I put on there was not gonna strip out like the other one he had, so it let the smoke out of the wires....I've never been able to put the smoke back in.Poof! Moral of the story never smoke your friends stuff ....always bring your own smoke!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
Slayyer Had a losi and came over and asked if i had a servo horn for his hi-tec, I centered the servo and put on a new horn. the next thing i know is smoke came out of the servo.... he did not have the end points set properly and the servo horn I put on there was not gonna strip out like the other one he had, so it let the smoke out of the wires....I've never been able to put the smoke back in.Poof! Moral of the story never smoke your friends stuff ....always bring your own smoke!
I think your onto something there. I'll bring my own next time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.