Wiki Posts
Search

Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Stumped

I have a sportwerks mayhem. I just broke in the .26 sportwerks engine using the heat cycle method. I t obviously was running a bit rich, stayed around the 195-215 mark. This was with the stock body off. I took it to the park and in the back lot was paved gravel and short grass. I didnt touch the mixture, just wanted to start running a little faster, never blipped above half throttle, after 3/4 tank, now this run was with the body on, i temp guned it and it said 304! I paniced and shut her down and let her cool. I run odonnells 30% race. Ive never had one get that warm before. This buggy is new to me so im not sure what to expect, and that was also with it running rich, what happens when i begin to lean out????? I have no experience with the sportwerks engine. The body has the stock cut outs for cooling head and half the windshield is cut out so I would think its getting plenty of air???? just dont know what to do. I cant afford to trash the engine. Id appriciate any help on this one and maybe an ideal temp for this engine??
Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Soundstream
I have a sportwerks mayhem. I just broke in the .26 sportwerks engine using the heat cycle method. I t obviously was running a bit rich, stayed around the 195-215 mark. This was with the stock body off. I took it to the park and in the back lot was paved gravel and short grass. I didnt touch the mixture, just wanted to start running a little faster, never blipped above half throttle, after 3/4 tank, now this run was with the body on, i temp guned it and it said 304! I paniced and shut her down and let her cool. I run odonnells 30% race. Ive never had one get that warm before. This buggy is new to me so im not sure what to expect, and that was also with it running rich, what happens when i begin to lean out????? I have no experience with the sportwerks engine. The body has the stock cut outs for cooling head and half the windshield is cut out so I would think its getting plenty of air???? just dont know what to do. I cant afford to trash the engine. Id appriciate any help on this one and maybe an ideal temp for this engine??
Sounds like an air leak, or too lean on the LSN. Could also be shimmed incorrectly for the nitro content. Change in climate will also have ill effects (high/low pressures, altitude etc etc)

Does it bog, splutter, or have any other running issues? If it is lean on the low end, it will be a bit sluggish in the take up of RPM, similar to it being too rich on the low end.

What condition is the glow plug in, the colour or condition of the plug, can say a lot about what is happening.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

Well, it boggs just slightily, but I think it is becouse of the hsn being rich. I havent messed with the lsn, thats a thought. I just pulled the glow plug. It was a golden bronze color. The filiment looked clean and no residue or carbon of any sort, top of piston is still shiney and looks like new. This engine has 5 tanks, and is on its 6th tank. I wanted to start slowly tuning but this has me a little gun shy. I appriciate the help!!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

these sportwerks motors like to run really hot. the stock cooling head on them suck. i have the .21 and it runs awesome. 9.0 mm insert and richen the crap out of it is what i had to do to get power and some cooler temps out of it. this motor is a little tricky to tune. but once you get it. she rips. mine runs great on about 270f. on my 5th gallon in truggy and still pull some of the more expensive mills.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Glad to hear, I richened the lsn 1/4 turn is all and ran like between 190 and 215 I ran 2 tanks thru it and both tanks stayed around the same temp. Now I am just wondering if something was on the lens of the temp gun. I cant see just a quarter turn lowering temps 75- 100 degrees. I think now i will begin to slowely tune, im at 8 tanks now.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soundstream
Glad to hear, I richened the lsn 1/4 turn is all and ran like between 190 and 215 I ran 2 tanks thru it and both tanks stayed around the same temp. Now I am just wondering if something was on the lens of the temp gun. I cant see just a quarter turn lowering temps 75- 100 degrees. I think now i will begin to slowely tune, im at 8 tanks now.
1/4 turn is actually a pretty big adjustment, considering most adjustments are made 1/12 of a turn, or 1 hour at a time. I was going to suggest the low speed needle too before i read that someone had already suggested it. Sounds like you got your problem solved.