R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Revo... 5309 or 5308?

Being that this is my first post, I'd like to say hello and thanks for reading!

I've read and I've searched until the sun didn't shine and I just want to run my thoughts by you and hear your opinions.

I'm in the market for a Nitro Off Road vehicle. I've been looking at the Revo 3.3 for some time now and think I may finally bite the bullet. This will be my first nitro R/C car...

Here I come to you with the Revo 5309 and the 5308...

My understanding is that the 5309 has 2.4GHZ, dual steering servos and optidrive w/ reverse. Other than that the 5309 and the 5308 are very close to the same thing.

The included batteries and extras are nice with the 5309 but does it justify the extra $100+ price tag?

Now I wouldn't mind getting the 5308 and just buying a better battery and etc separately but my questions are the following:

1) Based on real experience, do you prefer the single or dual servos?

2) How is the 2.4GHZ radio as compared to the radio on the 5308?

3) Does the 5308 have the fail safe feature?

I think that's it for now! Thanks in advance for you thoughts and opinions...

BTW --- Please feel free to direct me in the direction of another vehicle in the same price range if you think there is a better option out there. My uses for the vehicle will be just messing around... No track racing but definitely a lot of racing friends and jumping around the street.
TotalNOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Well, you already know the differences in the 2 trucks. Most people end up taking reverse out of the revo anyways, so I would choose the 5308 there.

There is no difference in the 2.4 tq remote, and the AM except the 2.4GHz. There is no features on the radio, but the 2.4GHz is nice. You wouldn't have to worry about being on the same frequency as your buddies

I have the 5308 myself, it was my first nitro truck as well. I prefer a good single servo to dual servo's myself, just less to worry about, and easy to setup. I would however get a better servo if you go the 5308 route. It has 125 .oz TQ, and it begs for more.

If you are even remotely interested in racing though, I would look at a Truggy. The Losi 8T RTR is a few hundred more, but a much better machine.

5308 or 5309, you will love the truck, it is a good starter vehicle
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
Well, you already know the differences in the 2 trucks. Most people end up taking reverse out of the revo anyways, so I would choose the 5308 there.

There is no difference in the 2.4 tq remote, and the AM except the 2.4GHz. There is no features on the radio, but the 2.4GHz is nice. You wouldn't have to worry about being on the same frequency as your buddies

I have the 5308 myself, it was my first nitro truck as well. I prefer a good single servo to dual servo's myself, just less to worry about, and easy to setup. I would however get a better servo if you go the 5308 route. It has 125 .oz TQ, and it begs for more.

If you are even remotely interested in racing though, I would look at a Truggy. The Losi 8T RTR is a few hundred more, but a much better machine.

5308 or 5309, you will love the truck, it is a good starter vehicle
Thank you very much for your response.

1) In regards to the radio... it says that the 5309 has the fail-safe feature, does the 5308 have it also?

2) What is a strong servo you would recommend to replace the servo in the 5308?

A question for all --- how are the batteries that are included in the 5309 package?

I'm thinking grab the 5308 and spend the extra $100+ on battery and better servo...

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

I don't think that the 5309 has a true fail safe, I could be wrong, but I believe it is a feature of the OptiDrive system and it only protects the vehicle from going in reverse while moving.

The 5309 does not have a true fail safe, something that will apply brakes when your battery dies.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I don't think that the 5309 has a true fail safe, I could be wrong, but I believe it is a feature of the OptiDrive system and it only protects the vehicle from going in reverse while moving.

The 5309 does not have a true fail safe, something that will apply brakes when your battery dies.
So does this mean that the circuitry is there to connect a failsafe module or it already comes with the technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbros.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6704&get=last

NEW 2.4GHz Mini Receiver
The new 4-channel micro servo features dual steering-servo inputs, and built-in programmable failsafe circuitry returns the throttle to neutral in the event of signal loss due to low transmitter battery power or accidentally switching the transmitter off while driving. And since it's 2.4GHz, there's no crystal or frequency to be concerned with. The receiver is "bound" to the transmitter at the factory for switch-on-and-drive convenience.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:

It does have a failsafe that will disable the truck when the battery starts to get low returning the throttle to neutral. I seen this first hand with a customer that recently bought one from the hobbyshop I work at.
While tuning his truck it just stopped, we went over to see what the problem was and noticed there was a light blinking on the opti-drive.

The 5309 is the way to go in my honest opinion unless you are looking to race. Having the reverse option is a blast when you are out playing around in the yard by yourself and you get into a jam where you need to back up.

The extra goodies are nice too and they add up:
fuel bottle $8-$12
glow plug $8
battery for starter $15-$20
receiver battery $20-$30
reverse $priceless

Its up to you, like Boomgagem said it depends on if you are planning to race or just bash around the yard.
aaron joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron joy View Post
It does have a failsafe that will disable the truck when the battery starts to get low returning the throttle to neutral. I seen this first hand with a customer that recently bought one from the hobbyshop I work at.
While tuning his truck it just stopped, we went over to see what the problem was and noticed there was a light blinking on the opti-drive.

The 5309 is the way to go in my honest opinion unless you are looking to race. Having the reverse option is a blast when you are out playing around in the yard by yourself and you get into a jam where you need to back up.

The extra goodies are nice too and they add up:
fuel bottle $8-$12
glow plug $8
battery for starter $15-$20
receiver battery $20-$30
reverse $priceless

Its up to you, like Boomgagem said it depends on if you are planning to race or just bash around the yard.
Thanks for clarifying this up! ;-)

I'm definitely leaning towards the 5309 especially since I do not have any of those "goodies" you listed above.

Now in the prince range of the 5309, would anyone else recommend a different truck? I won't be track racing but I will race my friends around the street.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Default How about this 5309?

What do you think of this 5309? Please add the h t t p : / / --- I am unable to post urls.

cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-revo-3-3-Rc-Truck_W0QQitemZ110452108464QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadi o_Control_Vehicles?hash=item19b7756cb0

"Some of the things that are bad about it is that the body plastics are almost cracked in half and there is only one U-joint differential in the front so it is just 2wd. Not very costly to fix. Just need one u-joint differential that costs about 12 bucks. The plastics are held together by JB Weld. It will hold for a while and you can put mini zip-ties on it and it will be fine."

Is this true?

Thanks Again.