R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Questions?? CAR MAINTANCE!

Hi

I am new to the racing scene and just wondering what sort of maintance should be carried out on my car and how often to keep it at the top of its game.

Cheers
Tony
yuppi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i typically maintenance every few hours of track time. strip down, clean, and rebuild worn components. check the drive train first.
C.Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
Tech Addict

ok cheers what about fluids and oils?

what and when?
Old 11-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For my diff oils I change it out every 3-4 races. For my shock oils I change them 2-3 races. Other things I do is on my 8ight-T, I replace the hub bearings or a least clean and look at them every 1-2 races. The bearings on the diff I check out when I replace diff oils of if there any signs something might need a look. I look at the bearings on my vehicles constantly. Other then that it's basically cleaning after every run and checking parts to make sure there not worn out to bad and need replacing and cleaning air filter, etc. You will get the most use of of you car if you clean it up after running and just checking things out all the time to make sure there ok. A lot of the time I end up changing out fluids, bearings, etc earlier then I need to if there is a big race coming up. This is for my vehicles I race. For the vehicles I bash I usually just wait till there is a sign something might be worn out and replace it then.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanty140 View Post
For my diff oils I change it out every 3-4 races. For my shock oils I change them 2-3 races. Other things I do is on my 8ight-T, I replace the hub bearings or a least clean and look at them every 1-2 races. The bearings on the diff I check out when I replace diff oils of if there any signs something might need a look. I look at the bearings on my vehicles constantly. Other then that it's basically cleaning after every run and checking parts to make sure there not worn out to bad and need replacing and cleaning air filter, etc. You will get the most use of of you car if you clean it up after running and just checking things out all the time to make sure there ok. A lot of the time I end up changing out fluids, bearings, etc earlier then I need to if there is a big race coming up. This is for my vehicles I race. For the vehicles I bash I usually just wait till there is a sign something might be worn out and replace it then.
with the bearings what is a good sign that they need changing?
Is thier certain oil to use for each thing or is it that same oil for shocks and diffs?

cheers
Old 11-01-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The way you tell if a bearing is in need of some work is if there just don't turn smoothly and feel kinda crunchy. You can rebuild them if you want and put new oil in them. But I just by my bearings in bulk from Avid RC. They are usually a $1 a bearing and for that price I just buy new ones. The oil for the diffs and shocks are the same but use a different WT. Diff oil is much thicker then shock oil. For example my diffs in my 8ight-T are 7000wt/10000wt/2000wt (Listed front diff, center diff, rear diff). The diff oil setup usually changes from track to track and truck to truck. The shock oil in my 8ight-T is 35wt in the front and 32.5wt in the rear. Again this changes track to track and truck to truck. These are what I usually start at when I race at a track. Then make my changes from there tweak the truck setup.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I rebuild my shocks and diffs ever Gallon of fuel are if i have a big race coming up then i rebuild them sooner. I do like shanty140 says i don't clean my bearings i just get new ones for a $1.00 apiece it will only cost you like 15 buck to put all new bearings in you ride. I change my bearing ever 3 gallons but if the track i am running on is real dusty it will be soon on the bearing change and like i said be for if i have a big race coming up i will change the bearing for it to i will rebuild my hole buggy for a Big Race.
Rc Pro ProDucts Team Driver www.rcproproducts.com
Hobby Pro USA Team Driver www.vp-pro-usa.com
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote